Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC10 worlds car gearing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 AM
butt_housed247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10 worlds car gearing help

i just bought an RC10 worlds car kit. finished building it last weekend and spent all last week running and testing it out. mechanically its A-OK. i put a censored 17.5 motor in it and an LRP spin ESC. and after about 10-15 minutes of running (heavy accelerating, hard breaking and some reverse use on all kinds of surfaces) motor temps are in the mid/high 120 range, and ESC temps are about 100. im wondering if i can/should go to a bigger pinion gear. right now iv got a 24t pinion on it with the kit supplied 81t spur. and the car will try to wheelie and in some rare cases actually wheelie from a dead stop on high traction surfaces. im thinking of going up to a 26t pinion. does that sound safe with the motor and ESC temps im experiencing?
im trying to get the the front wheels to stay on the ground and hopefully get a few more MPH top speed. right now it feels super punchy but i think it lacks a little top end.

how would you gear it, how have you geared yours? anyone have any recommendations?
and what's the max motor and ESC temps i can run. i don't want to overheat anything and wreck it.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you're in Orange County and you're only getting those low temps? What was the air / track temp during your run? Must've been pretty mild? I know you guys have been getting some weather down there from the hurricane.

But if the outside temps were typical, and you're only getting 120F on the motor and 100F on the ESC, then yeah I 'd say you could gear up a little. Although, those are really excellent running temps. You don't want the motor to get over 180F and the ESC under 150F or so. Usually my ESC runs about 125, motor between 125-145F depending on ambient. It's good to have an infra-red thermometer, which I guess you have?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
butt_housed247

outside temps were in the upper 80's and lower 90's (normal for this time of year) with slightly higher than normal humidity. motor and ESC temps were checked with a duratrax temp gauge. i don't know how accurate those are. one of my local shops was going out of business and was blowing them out for $12.99 so i picked one up, figured it was better than nothing.

good to know iv got some room to gear it up. not sure how big of a pinion i can put on there without having to change the spur. think ill start off by going up 2 teeth on the pinion like i had planned and seeing where that gets me.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great deal on the temp gauge. Probably about as accurate as anything else. They seem to vary by about +/-5 degrees. Those are really good temps on your motor and ESC if ambient was high 80s low 90s. (Note that the actual GROUND temp can be significantly higher that ambient air, and can increase your temps.)

You'll probably be able to go up two teeth on the pinion. That will give you significantly more top end speed.

BTW, your avatar is awesome! Is that an original painting?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM
butt_housed247

avatar is just something i found googling around a while back. i remember i was looking for desktop wallpaper, but don't remember what i typed into the search.

i swung buy the hobby shop after work today and ordered a 26t Robinson Racing pinion.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:36 PM
butt_housed247

26t pinion has been installed and I just drove the car for about 15 minutes. it's way cooler outside now than it was for my original tests (70 degrees as apposed to 90 degrees). with the bigger pinion it was noticeably faster and no longer wheelies on command (that's a good thing for me) but what's weird is motor temps were way lower! way lower than I thought they'd be. I forgot my temp gauge but just putting my finger on the motor and it was warm but nowhere near hot. and the ESC was barely starting to get warm.
it still accelerates fast and gets up to speed quick. I think there's room go up a couple more teeth on the pinion. now im thinking about picking up a 28 and 30 tooth pinion and trying those out.