Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ideas for Upgrading my VXL Stampede

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:48 AM
goodatthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for Upgrading my VXL Stampede

I have a stampede XL-5 that I upgraded to VXL brushless a while ago. I'll list the important upgrades I have:

wheelie bar
rpm bumper
aluminum caster blocks
aluminum bearing steering blocks
rpm back wheels and tires
2s lipo
vxl brushless motor
flysky fs-gt2 system

So basically some of my main problems with what I have now is that the front end is just plain unstable, it really can't drive in a straight line. I'll trim the remote, so it will drive in a straight line, then a few minutes later, it won't. It's hard to steer it most of the time, especially while bashing. Going over rocks and dirt or sand, I won't be able to drive in a certain direction for more than 10 feet. So improving steering and handling is one of my problems. Also, I'd like to get a little more speed, on a full battery I will be able to go maybe 35 mph. (Just a guesstimate) Id also like to know it there's any essential upgrades I should get to strengthen the truck in general.

So any recommendations for some stuff to get to solve some of the problems I'm having? I was thinking I could get some new front tires and a big bore shocks set for the handling issues, and maybe a mamba monster or castle system with a bigger lipo for the speed.

Also, I'm wondering if I should just get a whole new truck, like a 4x4 stampede or another similar truck. Ideas?

Last edited by goodatthis; 09-13-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Mikael_m29

You could also get some LED's which would look really cool at night and maybe a new body.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:19 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like there is a problem with the front steering, is not normal for it to wander like that.

id recommend diagnosing what the problem is, that way u don't wast money on parts.

Generally the handling issues are just a characteristic of that model.... Well providing u haven't deviated away from the out of box setup.

as for beefing up the steering, I'd recommend looking at the proline bellcrank and doing away with the stock Traxxas servo saver.
also another good upgrade for the steering is a new servo, those Traxxas servos are slow and weak. IMO complete junk

another thing to look into is a ball or oil filled diff this will help keeping it straight if the front wheels lift.

as for going faster, u are on the limit on the VXL combo. In some of the other Traxxas vehicles u can use 3s but because of the stampedes gearing and tyre size I would not recommend it.
depending on motor temps have u tried changing the gearing?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stampede doesn't have a bellcrank steering system, the steering tie rods are connected directly to the servo mounted servo saver. Adding a bellcrank steering system is no a bolt on for the Stampede chassis. However, you could buy a Slash 2wd chassis, front skidplate, the bellcrank steering system and bolt the rest of your stampede parts right on. The parts to do this are fairly inexpensive but the Slash chassis is longer requiring a longer body, EMaxx bodies will fit you don't have to go with a SCT body. A bellcrank steering system is more accurate and less susceptible to bump steer.

I do recommend going through your front suspension very carefully checking for binding and bent parts though. The Kingpin bolts used in the Castor Blocks are prone to bending and can cause issues. The Stampede does have a very light front end making it wheely easily and also bounce up easily when hitting bumps. When my nephew had a Stampede we equipped his with aluminum shock tower, bulkhead and tried to keep the weight shifted to the front to help.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hahahah my bad, I was picturing a slash chassis...

well for now id recommend getting a new servo saver.... Kimbrough make some great replacement ones.... (awesome produst, its a must for any traxxas vehicle with a servo saver incorporated into the servo horn) the traxxas servo saver is very soft and causes some cars to "wonder"
and if u can, try to get a better servo or at least check the current servo for excessive shaft play...

as far as steering designs go, the stampede is one of the worst designs, its comparable to vintage rc cars. because there are no bellcranks, so there is no mechanical leverage to assist with torque. and they are more prone to bumbsteer. u can correct the torque issue with a more powerful servo and that will help it keep the wheels straight and give u more consistent turning, but the bumpsteer is just a result of the stampedes steering geometry and can not be corrected on the 2wd pede chassis.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 AM
gudbramble

Sounds like there is a problem with the front steering