Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tekin RX8 vs MMM

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 PM
wade7575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tekin RX8 vs MMM

I'm looking to get a Mugen 1/8th scale Truggy and I was wondering what do you recommend the Tekin RX8 or the MMM.
I know both ESC's have had their the problems over the years I had a MMM in my E-Maxx and went threw 4 of them until they brought out the version 3 and I know that Tekin had problems with the RX8 and the Gen 2 is fixed now.
I know the RX8 has a smoother throttle curve when compared to the MMM and I'm not so much worried about that as I'am in terms of durability of the ESC,has anyone found the Tekin ESC's to be not a tough as the MMM,from what I undstand the MMM is a beast now and can really take a pounding is it the same for the Tekin RX8.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 PM
wade7575

For such a big forum you would think someone would add something to this thread.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has tried to dissuade you from the Tekin or Castle and recommend a Hobbywing or Hobbyking esc.

There will always be failures of any esc. Bashers will report the most Castle failures. Those who race will report the most Tekin failures. Those are the natural environments of each and it's rare you'll find a user of both esc's. I happen to be one of those rare users, but with the MMM (not MMM2) and RX8 gen1. I haven't had a single failure of a MMM V3 or higher (there were small updates making V5 the last version before the MMM2 came out) and I currently have one in a LST XXL on 6s powering a 1717. I've only had one RX8 gen1 in my 8ight-t 2.0 on 4s and 5s with a Tekin T8 2000kv motor. Not exactly a setup that pushes it very hard but it's been trouble free. Some of the features of the RX8 are kinda nice like the LEDs that indicate the esc temp.

I've actually had two Losi 8ight-t 2.0's at separate times. The first was with a Castle MMM and 1518 1800kv on 5s and my current Tekin powered rig. The Tekin esc does seem to run a little bit hotter, about 10-15f hotter. The Castle on 5s was geared for almost 50mph, the Tekin on 4s and 5s was geared for about 45-46 and the Tekin esc was hotter with both. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison and it even if it was it doesn't mean the Tekin is less durable but it's all I got.

You mentioned throttle sensitively at low speeds for the RX8. I'm sure you know but this only applies if you have a sensored motor. In sensorless operation the RX8 has about the same smoothness as a MMM.

Edit: As I mentioned small updates were made to the MMM v3 all the way up to v5. I was misspoke that the v5 was the last version before the MMM2 though. The last version of the MMM is the MMM Extreme used in the Traxxas XO1. The MMM Extreme is actually a v5 with a cap pack added and the custom firmware with the Speed Lock/Unlock Traxxas wanted.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 09-21-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM
wade7575

I was thinking of a HobbyWing as well but I'm not sure if I want to run one or not as I know that sometimes you get a bad one more often then with a Tekin Novak or MMM let's.

I think the HobbyWing is the same as the Hacker and the Team Orion ESC are they not.

Thanks for the help.