Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Where to mount battery/electronics in SCX10 with winch?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battery in front / electronics in back

0 0%
  • Battery in back / electronics in front

1 33.33%
  • Everything in front

2 66.67%
  • Battery and all electronics in front / ESC and BEC in back

0 0%

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SCX10 Electronics Mounting Locations

I'm building the Axial SCX10 G6 Kit and have quite a few electronic components. Basically, where do I mount all of my stuff to get the best performance? By that I mean not flipping over on ascents/descents and keeping it well balanced side to side.

I have a RC4WD Winch controller, Castle BEC, Flysky Receiver, Holmes Hobbies ESC, and a 3300mah 11.1v Battery.

Also, I have a steel competition stinger bumper up front. Along with the winch mounted to it, that will add some significant weight up there.
    If it works, take it apart and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | SCX10 G6 | Micro BL SCT | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    On that last poll option, it is meant that all electronics except the ESC and BEC, in front.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My ESC/receiver is where the batt is stock and the batt is where the ESC receiveer was. So the batt is down next to the tranny. Lowers cg and keeps weight up front to crawl.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My SCx10 has the ESC on the side of the tranny. I made a little tray that screws onto the rail on the side
    RX (and micro light controller)are in stock location, but in a modified traxxas WP RX box, and the battery up front on top.
    But I don't do crawling so I don't have to worry so much about COG
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It just seems putting it in front gives so much weight up there. I will be doing about an equal amount of ascents as I will descents. I want to keep my receiver in the designated receiver box, along with the BEC. I threw everything on the truck with all the electronics in the front and the battery in the back. The COG is on the front half of the skid plate.

When I put everything up front, the COG is about where the frame bends back up to the front shock hoops. I have more weight in front because of the RC4WD heavy steel winch bumper and RC4WD winch. Putting the battery in front will also increase the difficulty of mounting everything in a good location. Putting the battery in back frees up some space and from looking at it, actually puts the battery in a lower position.

It's probably obvious that I'm favoring the back mount. lol I'm 'double sided taping' the electronics in, so I would like it best if I could get this right the first time. My battery is 3S so it's quite tall, raising the COG on the front mount even more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hmm looking at the G6 body it seems you might be able to put the battery in the back of the vehicle to even out weight a bit,, and bring it down if you make some kinda mount

I own a honcho so in my case due to body style that isn't an option, but looking at the G6 pictures the body seems to not go below the body mount point so it looks like there is plenty of room.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The manual shows how to mount it both ways. All the holes to mount the battery plate are in place. I just had to decide if I wanted to do front or back. It's just as easy to do back (easier) as it is to do front. I'm thinking I will do back just because this is a somewhat special setup. Thanks Syco!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My advice is to try it... Test, test and more test

personally I found the battery in the rear does not work that well for crawling.

example, my new house has some big rocks out the back. My honcho coasts up it and the honcho/jeep does it, it's just a little bit more difficult because if it's weight. On the jeep, using some cable ties I strapped the battery to the rear cross brace. With the battery there, there was no part of the rocks it could drive up. It would just get stuck and loose traction. But the funny part... It could reverse up the rocks
    So because of this massive noticeable difference in battery locations, the choice was easy. (I should mention I was using a 6cell nimh, but I'm positive a lipo would give the same results, it's just I haven't physically a lipo in the rear)

LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lol, just noticed, u can still see the cable tie from testing on the floor.... God I'm slack lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I mounted all my electronics today. I put the battery, winch controller, and receiver up front. Because I had so much extra cable lengths, I had no problem mounting the ESC and BEC on the back "X" shaped cross brace. I got all my wires out of the way of the drive shafts and I put a plastic heat shield over the ESC to receiver wire to protect it from the motor heat because it ran right by it. Everything is wired and looks fantastic! I threw the tires on the rims and did a quick test run. I'm having so much fun just crawling over my laundry basket! This thing is awesome!!! I love it! I wish it would turn tighter, but I know it will when I get it outside. It doesn't work real well on carpet. The first thing I noticed is that I really need use the throttle dampening and drag brake dampening on the servo. The starts and stops with this motor are instant! Glad I still have that programming plug. Tomorrow I'm cutting out and taping up the body for paint. I will also have dad pick me up some tire glue and the paint I need on his way home from work. Can't wait to get this thing outside!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's my biggest complaint with the SCX10,,, the steering sucks

its a combination of locked Diffs and poor Ackerman, and steering max lock...
    Generally the inside wheel should turn sharper than the outer wheel but the scx10 is the opposite...

u can increase the max lock 2 ways.
    1, run high steer knuckles, custom tie rod and longer servo horn(the arm on the knuckle is higher and does not hit c hub mounting screw)
    but in all honestly it's such a minor difference in steering angle and requires CVD's

2, best way but it's expensive and requires a Dremel. Use AX10 or wraith c hubs and knuckles with custom shortened AX10 CVD's.
    This will dramatically increase the steering angle, and give u a good 90deg of steering movement.

another way of making it turn sharper... A DIG gearbox. This will allow for DIG turns

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Here are a few examples of what the steering mod can do.... Not my photos, they are from some local guys rigs

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ering-mod.html
    http://www.crawlanz.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4079

Lowers cg and keeps weight up front to crawl.