Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

2wd brushed to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM
8trego8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd brushed to brushless

Hi everyone
Ive been researching a good trucks for a couple weeks that could give me full BASH satisfaction!
Im what you may call a noob but that doesnt mean im not good with a little stick in me hand.. hehe

ANYWAYS please give me some more experienced insight on what ive been looking at
I want :
-DURABLE basher
-1/10 scale or close as possible without getting larger
-BRUSHLESS
-Lipo ready
-25mph+
-DURABLE
-Not break the bank?? Im not sure if that is even possible but Im willing to spend close to 300 for a good truck/radio/battery
-Oh yeah and durable

Ive been pondering over the ECX line of offroad vehicles and have heard mixed reviews.
I was thinking I could get the 2WD Torment or Ruckus and change the motor,esc,metal gears, and put in a LIPO.

BUT I dont know if the other components of the car will handle it?
Please give me any information you can or any car I can build for this price (with enough left over for transmitter and such)

I would LOVE to build a car if it is willing to take abuse and keep coming back for more!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:15 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Since you said you wanted something brushless, I would start off paying a little bit more right off the bat for a RTR brushless truck. I'll check back in a little bit. You want 2wd for sure? Next question...Monster Truck, Stadium Truck, or Short Course? The higher center of gravity it is the more you will have chase and flip it upright when out bashin'.

Check out some of Traxxas stuff...Stampede, Slash, Rustler.

Oh yeah, what type of terrain will you be running on mostly?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
RustyUs

Yeah those ECX trucks look tough. Only one problem at first glance...plastic shock caps. That would be the first thing I would look to upgrade/change . I read all the time people having plastic shock caps just blown off on big jumps/landings. The Ruckus and Torment seem to use the same chassis...Ruckus = Torment with huge tires "bolted" on. Like I said...I have no personal dealings with either of them. A quick glance at them...I would say the Ruckus is the better choice for a "basher" just because it will have more ground clearance.

But you're right to do research till you're exhausted. I'm sure you found both sides in reviews. Big Squid seemed to like it very much for bashability.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:16 PM
8trego8

Thanks for the reply!
I live in the desert so I would like to run on a lot of sandy / rocky environments and I would like to take advantage of anything that naturally would make the truck airborne.

I do like how the 2wd trucks seem to drive just because i would get a kick out of drifting it on the hard-packed clay that has loose dirt on top.
Im not against 4wd at all but it seems to add about $100 and I dont see that as worth the price or extra possibilities of broken parts.

I have no preference for type of truck except I was thinking that the extra ground clearance on a monster truck would make it a smoother ride? But like you said I would probably roll the thing a lot.

I was looking at getting a Traxxas slash rolling chassis and buying all the necessary parts but man everything is expensive!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 PM
RustyUs

The more I look at the brushless Ruckus...the more I like it. I think they are going for $289. I'm learning that the durability of the arms are very good from the flexable type plastic used. Great for taking big hits. There is enough in the box to get you started. I'm sure down the road a bigger mah (capacity) battery pack and a charger to handle LiPos will be needed.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 AM
8trego8

They sure look tempting. I think I might get the Brushless RTR put a 2s lipo in it and maybe change the rear driveshafts for the MonsterMaxx metal ones. I guess we'll see
Old 11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by 8trego8
They sure look tempting. I think I might get the Brushless RTR put a 2s lipo in it and maybe change the rear driveshafts for the MonsterMaxx metal ones. I guess we'll see
So you're saying the MonsterMaxx driveshafts will fit the Ruckus? Awesome! The chassis and slider shafts do look Traxxas-ish on the Ruckus/Torment.
Maybe look/search other threads here.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM
CptKlink

Well from my limited experience with the ruckus and all the reviews i have read about it they are actually one of the most durable RTR kits you can get for the price range and even more durable then some of the RTR's out there in a higher price point. And speaking of axles I just installed a Set of MIP X-Duty's for the rear of the Traxxas Slash Part # 10130 fit with no problems just have to shave very little material from the back of the rear axle/bearing carriers I only have to shave off like less then 1 mm.

Link for the MIP X-Duty's I used.
http://miponline.com/store/mip10130.html
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM
8trego8

Alright guys Im pretty much set on a ECX 2wd brushless. Which do you think would be better for my desert/sandy/rocky environment? The Ruckus or Torment?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:03 PM
CptKlink

Most people go for a monster truck if there going to be really only bashing. But also if anything does break you might see less breakage with the torment since it has smaller tires less rolling mass usually equals to less breakage. I'm loving my Ruckus tho and today i just went for my first test drive after installing the Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC and castle 3800KV Motor. And let me tell you it has given me a whole new respect for the ECX brand this thing is actually more durable then most RTR Kits even ones that are quite a bit more expencive. I don't think it will matter which one you get I think both will but a smile on your face.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:12 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by CptKlink
Most people go for a monster truck if there going to be really only bashing. But also if anything does break you might see less breakage with the torment since it has smaller tires less rolling mass usually equals to less breakage. I'm loving my Ruckus tho and today i just went for my first test drive after installing the Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC and castle 3800KV Motor. And let me tell you it has given me a whole new respect for the ECX brand this thing is actually more durable then most RTR Kits even ones that are quite a bit more expencive. I don't think it will matter which one you get I think both will but a smile on your face.
After this thread popped up, I also like what I have read about the Ruckus and now have added the 4wd version to my list of vehicles to consider.
If one should get tired of the "Monster Truck" thing...one could get some of the Torment's wheels/tires and body mount/post with new lid to convert the Ruckus to a Torment. They all use the same chassis/arms combo.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-16-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
CptKlink

Originally Posted by RustyUs
After this thread popped up, I also like what I have read about the Ruckus and now have added the 4wd version to my list of vehicles to consider.
If one should get tired of the "Monster Truck" thing...one could get some of the Torment's wheels/tires and body mount/post with new lid to convert the Ruckus to a Torment. They all use the same chassis/arms combo.
Ya that is true hell you could even get the ECX Circuit parts and then have all 3 in one so to speak since they all use the same chassis. Then it all depends on what you feel like driving that day be it eather a Monster Truck or stadium truck or Short Course Truck.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 PM
8trego8

I just got a ECX Ruckus for $89 on ebay! It was a return with a faulty charger and im getting a lipo for it anyway
Now I can spend that extra money on a nice brushless motor!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:19 AM
RustyUs

Ahhh yes. The addiction begins.

I think you got a great deal there.