Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slow Down A Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:04 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Slow Down A Motor

Hello guys, I am an airplane guy that is building a replica of an old airport tug. I am using the chassis of a four wheel drive truck. I have removed the truck body and I am building up the typical airport tug body. I want to build a 1940 style Navy airport or carrier tug. My question to you is how do I slow down the motor so that I get a more realistic speed and torque out of it rather than end up tearing across the runway at breakneck speed with a scale model in tow. I am building a 100" wingspan Navy Avenger. that I would like to tow to the flight line with the tug. Many thanks guys. Please remember, I am not an electric guy so don't overwhelm me by having me tear into the engine, I'll probably blow it up. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 11-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:55 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest getting a crawler motor, just like this. Lots of torque, but not much speed. You could also just turn down the exponential on the throttle if you have a programmable radio. But if you do not, a crawler motor is a great option. Atomik RC is having a 30% off sale on their motors and ESCs. Great time to buy!

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-brushed-motor
Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

How fast/slow do you want to go? There are motors with gear reduction out there. The only thing is they cost a bit more.
What 4wd truck are you using? Maybe a better option would be to get the biggest spur gear you can fit in the transmission and the smallest pinion along with one of those motors collector mentioned.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:06 PM
DieHarder

Best question:

What motor are you using?
Old 11-15-2014, 01:07 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not the motor it's the gear ratio....

Sorry guys....
people may sugest that a crawler motor has more torque. But from my experience it's not that black and white....yes it's true but the difference is so marginal it's not worth worrying about.
generally with crawlers to gain more torque you use a lower turn motor.... But by it self it's lacking in torque and wheels speed. So generally people increase the voltage.... And the increase voltage is what really increases the torque.

But trust me... Comparing a 27t to a 55t on 7.4v the 55t is completely gutless, but if u were to run 11.1v or 14.7v into the 55t motor only then will it have a decent amount of torque.

the best option... It's to fit a gear reduction gearbox.
The gear reduction it self will reduce the speed and increase the torque multiplication

Last edited by phmaximus; 11-15-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an example using some old crappy videos I made...

One is a buggie the other is a monstertruck.... Both have the same chassis and rough suspension. Major differences are body, wheels and shocks... But the monster truck has a HPI GRU.
ESC both run a HW 35a brushless ESC
Motor, buggy:3800kv monstertruck:2400kv both HW 380/540 motors

Buggy...
http://youtu.be/5xNlVuntoDg

monstertruck
http://youtu.be/B8pshZ37Q1E
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 PM
redtail

Sorry for the delay, had a death in the family. I decided to use a toy, not a serious truck but yes, a toy 2 wheel drive truck by Extreme RC called the XGX 3 Power Truck. I removed the truck shell and started to build the plywood platform for the old airport style tug body to attach to the frame. Then I realized, the tug would scream around the field like the Aussie's first video. By the way, that is a lot of power/speed. Wow. That I can not use. So without giving it an additional thought, I ordered and rec'd the Atomic Crawler motor as suggested by Collector1231. Hummmm, it is at least twice the diameter of the motor the truck came with. Well, I will have to do some serious hogging out to first of all - get it to slide into the circular chamber that is set up for the motor to sit in, second, after installing the Crawler motor, the new gear pin placement may not meet up with the large gear on the transmission. My truck is in semi pieces, screws everywhere, and now I have two engines I may not be able to use. HELP
Old 11-23-2014, 04:41 AM
redtail

Enough, decided to buy a crawler and attempt to build the airport tug body on its chassis. We'll see what happens. I'll but the toy truck back together and give it to the neighborhood boys. Thanks guys. Chic
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Ahh, it is a 380 can. I thought you were using a hobby-grade car. Sorry about that mix up!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by redtail
Enough, decided to buy a crawler and attempt to build the airport tug body on its chassis. We'll see what happens. I'll but the toy truck back together and give it to the neighborhood boys. Thanks guys. Chic
that's the best thing you can do with it, good for you.
What crawler did you go with?