Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Integy Beadlocks: Are they that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integy Beadlocks: Are they that bad?

Ok, so I'm looking at getting a set of aluminum beadlocks and mounting RC4WD Mudslingers XL 2.2 on them. They would go on my SCX10 G6. I don't want to spend $120 on a set of RC4WD or Vanquish rims. I'm not paying that for four wheels when I can get plastic/aluminum beadlocks from Gmade for $25 a set. $80 is an ok tops that I'm willing to pay for some really nice beadlocks. Integy fits the bill by spec, but how well are they recommended by hobbyists that have put them to the test? I have decided on this model in either red, black, or gun metal color: http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intc24326black.htm All the reviews for both the red and black at RRP are either four or five stars. They look really nice and appear like they would work very well. What does everybody think? Are they worth it?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard mixed reviews on integy. A lot of people say the parts they make aren't so good. But it seems like it would be hard to mess up wheels. As long as the screws don't cross thread or strip out they seem like they would be OK. I've looked at them briefly for my honcho, high mass integy bead locks. I ended up getting axial 8holes for it and adding my own weight to them.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 PM
DieHarder

I've read that adding axle weights instead of wheel weights is a better route to take. That way you keep the heavy rolling mass to a minimum while still getting the weight where you need it. Just something I read. Axle weights I am finding are very expensive. I'd rather do wheel weights I guess to save on costs. I have the axial hardened tranny gears so it really shouldn't be a problem I would think. I've got a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro 35T on 3S with the BR-XL ESC, so no power issues either.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 PM
zackS30

I see, I haven't noticed any kind of strain on my wraith(3oz in each wheel/scx10 1.5oz each wheel) the weight in my wraith is a little much for what I do with it.
My scx10 gets planted to where I out it pretty well. I've got pro line swamper xl's on my honcho though too in that awesome g6 compound.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as far as what you read about integy roughly 98% of their stuff is utter crap.

I've bought a few integy things, and talked to many others who have bought plenty of other things. The only thing that I've found decent by them was rear carriers for the Savage (the CNC'd not the molded ones those are crap)
I've seen their shocks bend from mild jumps, their arms bend, their shock towers fold over, screws strip out etc. This is why they have such a bad rep
My LHS (well before they went under) a 4 or so years back actually pulled all integy stuff off their shelves as they said they got too many complaints, and they didn't want to sell junk to people.

If an integy product has mixed reviews I'd generally play it safe, and go with the bad ones

Now if you were making a shelf queen that would never be ran Integy is the greatest thing ever as it really looks nice on a shelf due to how it shines.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 PM
zackS30

That's what I would worry about, all those screws in the lock ring.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
DieHarder

Zach: Are these the High Mass ones you were looking at? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C2509...item3a915991e3

There are fewer screws on those rings. I really like the looks and they appear good and strong. Maybe it's too good to be true...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 PM
zackS30

Yeah, that was one. There was another one that looked like it had rings in the wheels too, like wheel weights there was 3 of them. They made the wheel look flat in the middle instead of having that "V" dip to it.
They look really good, I have just hear absolutely nothing about the integy wheels. Their other parts I've heard good and bad but nothing about wheels.
It does seem like they would be OK, a bit of locktite on the screws and they won't fall out. Its not like ull be taking them apart every day. Unless ur like me and take stuff apart when ur bored. Lol.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:37 PM
zackS30

Yeah, that was one. There was another one that looked like it had rings in the wheels too, like wheel weights there was 3 of them. They made the wheel look flat in the middle instead of having that "V" dip to it.
They look really good, I have just hear absolutely nothing about the integy wheels. Their other parts I've heard good and bad but nothing about wheels.
It does seem like they would be OK, a bit of locktite on the screws and they won't fall out. Its not like ull be taking them apart every day. Unless ur like me and take stuff apart when ur bored. Lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:56 AM
Large Larry

For just crawling around they should be fine. It's not as though they have any identifiable logos on them so I say go for it. Just pray no one asks you what brand they are.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM
DieHarder

Zach: I'll do some searching for those...

Larry: I crawl alone, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've got one dude I talk to in person other than the LHS owner that is into the hobby. He's an Integy fan: owner of the 22lb Savage HP. I didn't get the idea to go Integy from him, I just came across them and they look decent. Logos aren't really important to me...

You guys have any thoughts on a different set of rims that are aluminum/alloy, tough, and come in at $80 or less?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM
zackS30

Dick cepek wheels look bad ass. The torque is my favorite the dc2 is the second. The torques are 130$ though. Man they look sweet though. Type in "1.9 dick cepek" in ebay.
My mobile eBay app won't let me put a link. Sorry.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 AM
DieHarder

The dick cepeks look epic! But I can't afford to shovel out $120-130 on a set of rims. I still need to buy $60 in tires! I looked at some motoworx, but it's like $100 for their cheapest 2.2 set shipped to my house. VP is out of the question. I kinda refuse to buy their stuff since it's so ridiculously priced. It's like your paying for the name instead of the product. Does anyone know what makes Integy aluminum so bad? Is it the grade of aluminum they use? The way they machine it? The taps they use? How is their aluminum any different from other companies? Most of their designs looks fairly strong...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:08 AM
zackS30

The only vanquish item I want is the motor mount for the exo Terra.
That's like the same thing with traxxas, u pay for the name.

They used to have a lot of molded items which in my experience makes for a pourus metal rather than solid.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 PM
DieHarder

I found out that the set I asked about earlier http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C2432...item3f32be0793 is actually machined, so they claim. It's in the title and the description. The High Mass set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C2509...item3a915991e3 doesn't say anything about being machined. Maybe the first set is worth a shot? They were the ones with the four and five star reviews.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM
zackS30

I would think ull be OK with the first set. With it being aluminum its not like a lot can go wrong.
Ur going to a 2.2 though so u will be raising ur cog and making it less stable. What tires r u putting on?

Last edited by zackS30; 12-02-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 AM
DieHarder

I can't wait to run 2.2s! I'd like to go over bigger obstacles and have more clearance. I also want to widen it up some. I plan on using either 13mm or 19mm wheel wideners. Junfac has some nice looking ones.

13mm: http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/jun51032.htm

19mm: http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/jun51033.htm

I've heard of people breaking axles with the 19mm, so I was thinking about trying the 13mm.

As for tires, I'm looking at either RC4WD Mudslinger XLs or Pro-Line Interco Super Swamper XLs. I kinda like the Mudslingers a little better, but the Super Swampers are a bit taller. With these taller tires, I'm either going to buy a lift kit to raise the body/chassis for clearance of both the tires and the ground, or just put the body posts at the highest setting. I'd rather lift it a little though, just to keep the chassis somewhat hidden, and maybe a notch or two up on the body posts. I need to lift the body one way or another so that the tires don't kill the fender flares when the suspension is compressed. I figure the wheel wideners will help space the tires out away from them as well. Does all this sound reasonable? lol
Old 12-03-2014, 07:30 PM
zackS30

I see what ur saying. Have u moved ur electronics around? I moved my battery down by the tranny and moved my ESC and receiver where the battery was stock.
I have super swamper xl 1.9s on my honcho and they grab everything. The wideners will help. Be carful with the lift kit. They put extra angle on the drive shafts and cause binding.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 AM
DieHarder

ESC is in the back, battery up front, receiver in front receiver box, BEC is next the ESC in the back as well. If I get a lift kit, I wouldn't go full lift, but instead, go just enough for a little tire/body clearance when shocks are fully compressed. You have 1.9" Super Swamper XLs, but I was looking at going 2.2" Super Swamper XLs. The 1.9s are 4.75" tall while the 2.2s are 5.8" tall. It would be quite a difference over my 4" tall stock tires...
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM
zackS30

Oh wow. The Baja claws on my wraith r almost 6" but the track width is 13" and the cog is pretty low. So there's no problems.
Hopefully getting the wheels wideners will help