Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Getting Back into RC - Father/Son Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
loaba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Back into RC - Father/Son Racing

Hey, folks - decided to get back into RC.

My son has a low-end EXC Boost and I have an Traxxas Nitro Rustler. Also, I just picked up a Team Associated SC10b.

The Bash was a $150.00 RTR kit and it's served my 11-yr old very well indeed. He's really good with it, free-style anyway. We've got an indoor dirt track in the area and he's going to try it out. Watched some races the other night, lots of Team Associated buggies out there... I expect the kid will get pretty well smoked with his current car. What can I do to fix that? New car, or is the Boost worth upgrading?

About the Nitro Rustler - I bought this car back in 2011 and I've pretty much regretted it. Gas is nice in theory, but it's just way too much hassle for me. The car is way too fast for my skill set and I was breaking parts left and right. That's why I decided to go electric this time around.

The SC10b I have looks to be a car that I can definitely grow with (I'll be holding it back, I think). The kit I got did not come with a battery or a charger, so I was looking for suggestions in that regard as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charger: thunder charger ac680 only ~55$ and will do so much.
Battery: venom or zippy lipo batt, maybe NiMH if its a brushed system.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM
loaba

It's a brushless system - LIPO seems to be the battery of choice these days. Just wish they didn't have such an explosive reputation. I saw a thunder charger ac680 at the LHS the other day - recommendation accepted.

Been reading up on racing all afternoon - did I buy a ******* car, or will most tracks let Short Course Buggies compete against Short Course Trucks in the same race?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM
zackS30

There's buggy races and sc races. Ull have to ask ur local track. Like my local track won't let my exo race even though its the same size as an SCT I also can only use 2s lipo and certain systems. There's actually a lot of rules.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM
loaba

I went to the local track tonight and picked up a venom charger (single battery) and a venom LIPO 4000/ 20C.

The track guy said that they allow SC Buggies and SC Trucks to run in the same heats, so that's cool. I really don't like the look of the truck body shell and would hate to have had to convert the car to take one. My son loves the look of the SC10b, so I may have to pick up another one...
Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM
zackS30

Oh that's cool.
Did u find out the electronics restrictions?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:24 AM
loaba

Yeah - the guy said that "stock" class means the same ESC and motor-type that came with the car and everyone has to run the same battery. Any and all suspension-type mods are allowed. I'm really liking this car, but I still want to get a hold of a Tamiya Grasshopper - that was my dream car when I was a kid (30+ years ago.)
Old 12-02-2014, 04:27 PM
zackS30

Oh lol nice.