Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Castle sidewinder 3 with 1406 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 PM
yotamanfjc07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle sidewinder 3 with 1406 help needed

I bought a castle sidewinder 3 waterproof version with the 4600 kv 1406 motor for the old losi xxxt geared at 23/78 and bought a new zippy 25c 4000mah lipo charged at 1c. I know gearing is off but it cogged at initial pull of trigger and smoked but eventually began to move the truck up and down the street some. didn't mess with it too much cause i swear i saw it glow a pinch when it smoked. I dont think its fried cause i got it to run up and down the street with initial cogging before the cogging seemed too much and i turned it off before anymore smoke or fire happened. Is the gearing that off to cause that or is the battery under powered. I run another zippy 4000 in a sct sidewinder and vxl 3500 without issue. I do not think i meshed gears too tight either but I will be reinspecting that tomorrow. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 AM
MP5k

I would contact castle
Sounds Like SOME thing Is Wrong !
Old 12-07-2014, 07:08 AM
yotamanfjc07

Well I've also installed a mmp and 3800 4 pole without issue either so I am fairly sure things are right. I am going to go over it again and give my 5400 30c battery a try first before attempting to call them. My new zippy has 100 amp right? I really thought that would be good? I don't know, I am going to look it over and try again before that call as I have faith castle products are good and it isn't something I did wrong. Hopefully their number is in the manuals if I need it.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:16 PM
yotamanfjc07

Well after some messing around and dealing with the cogging it seems to run if you push start it with out smoking. I didn't even run half a 4000 mah battery because I need to get the gearing down to 12-18/88 first. The beeping tones seem very weak(have to put your ears close to hear them), not sure what is going on there. If gearing doesn't work then I'll call castle.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think you gearing is too far off from the stock 86T or 88T spur gear on the XXXT. You have it more like a buggy spur/pinion combo. Is the ESC and motor new? When I try to diagnose something like this, I recalibrate the ESC to make sure I have full throttle and brake/reverse set. I would test the motor not hooked up to the tranny with a fully charged pack and see if it studders/cogs. And while you're at it, check for ANY binding in the driveline.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-15-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:39 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Something is wrong with that system. Send it back to Castle for REPLACEMENT.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 PM
yotamanfjc07

Just bought it off fleabay brand new so not sure if Castle will help. Gonna lower gearing tomorrow and check all connections and stuff. Put the sw3/1406 and rtr 2.4 hpi radio and compact 2s 4000 25c zippy in my boys old xxxt and was really hopping to see it rip like my mmp 1410 4x4 slash. Nitro used to be a pain in the butt but at least I fully understood those motors. I'll also test without a load too.

Last edited by yotamanfjc07; 12-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 PM
yotamanfjc07

I have no receipt?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I was gonna tell you to go over to RC Tech forums. They have....or should I say had.... a Castle Creations Manufacturers thread. I was there last night looking. Now everything in the Company/Manufacturers forum is gone. Yotaman, just give Castle a call, or at least an email.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:38 AM
yotamanfjc07

So I called castle and he wanted to listen to the tones which he can't cause you can hardly hear them so Itell him what's going on and at this time was using a 5800 35c which I know I don't really need cause I have been using 4000 25 c batts in.sidedwinders and. mmps without issue for over 3 years . He tries to tell me the battery is bad and to send it in with 40 bucks plus shipping to repair and basically was rude and told me it was my fault. I thought they were better then that! Its bs cause its brand new. However contacted eba seller and they said they would call castle tomorrow and get back to me. I am a little ticked. We'll see what response I get from seller.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get Castle...they're such a big name, you'd think they'd be a little nicer to their customers. I get the impression that unless you kiss their ass and tell them that they make the best **** available and beg their forgiveness for screwing up their super-*****in system, they give you a bad time. I've had similar experience with them. I'll tell you what tho, if you're going to send something in for repair, better do it before Christmas, cuz after Xmas, they're slammed for months.

This kind of treatment by a Big Name Manufacturer is exactly why I buy the so-called "cheap Chinese junk". Why should I pay a premium for something I'm not going to get real customer service for? Sure, you can send it in with your $40, and wait....and wait,,,, and wait....and wonder WHEN it's going to come back, because nobody will tell you. But for the money I save and the heartache I avoid dealing with "I-don't-really-give-a-crap-about-your-silly-problem" CS agents, I;'ll happily buy another "cheap" system if/when it craps out.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
drjav

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've been calling Castle Support for years. The folks there have been more than nice and understanding to me. My experience with them has been nothing short of A+. Maybe the guy you talked to had his puppy die the night before. Dunno. Bummer. Hope it all works out well for you.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:46 PM
yotamanfjc07

well ebay seller says he called and I can use reciept from site and send it in. It will be in mail next few days.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:00 PM
drjav

Let us know what happens. Hoping for a quick, free, permanent fix for you.