RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

spektrum and warn 9.5 question

Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 PM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default spektrum and warn 9.5 question

Sooooo as some may know, I recently acquired a spektrum dx4c, I have 3 receivers for it. One is the avc, the other is the one that comes with the remote, the other is a DSM SR300(an older receiver)
I also have a rc4wd warn 9.5cti I would like to be able to use it.
I was looking to get the wired controller since all the receivers r at least 3ch so I have a free channel.
It says it needs a on/off/on thing.

If someone has a spare minute would u mind looking up the warn wired controller and explain what it means by on/off/on and if my RX/tx will even work with the wired unit. I know I could just get the wireless controller and be dome with it but I would rather use the remote to control the winch.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 PM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Zach! The wired winch controller requires at least a three channel radio system (you have four without AVC). The special "on/off/on" feature refers to a three position switch for the channel you will use for the winch. See if you can but the channel you will use into three different positions. I don't have a DX4C, but I believe both the 3rd and 4th channels on the radio are three position. You have to turn off AVC to get the 3rd and 4th channels. Just check me on that. I have a FlySky GT3-B with a two position third channel, so I went with the wireless system to get around it. The other thing with the wired winch, is you are going to have to split the power wires off of the connector for the receiver and put more than 5-6v into them. You either have to hook it to a battery (separate or existing) or a BEC. I did my wireless winch controller into a BEC at 9v. It runs perfect at 9v and I think 6v from the receiver will be too little. It says on the RC4WD website that 6v will work, but it's at the bottom of the range. Just don't hook to a 3S, because that's 12.6v and will blow the unit. It's been tried many a times and always does it in over time.

Last edited by DieHarder; 12-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What up diehard!!??
The receiver I'm going to use is either the sr300 or the sr410. They all have 3 prongs, there's st, the, aux, aux2 on the sr410 the sr300 has st, th, aux and there's 3 prongs on all those too. I can get a bec if I need to since the 2s lipo I use is only for my scx10 and wraith. My gts3b has the extra channel and they have all got 3 prongs, that remote got replaced by the spektrum though since the flysky won't hold range.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 AM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All receivers have three prongs on the channels. That's the style. However, the three position switch I'm referring to is on the transmitter. Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNPoSHh_j7g The switch on his transmitter is the one you want use. The switch should operate the Aux channel on the receiver. Check that by plugging a servo into the Aux channel and see it that switch operates it.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 AM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What vehicle are you putting the winch on and what battery will that vehicle be running?
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The winch is on my honcho and I use a venom 2s 5000mah batt.
however I was thinking of selling the honcho for a gmade r1 and then then winch would either be on that or the wraith.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 PM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He and I have the same spektrum remote. I would like for mine to work like his. Even The lights I didmt know lights could do that too.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:48 PM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In order to make yours work like his, you need to wire the winch controller like this:

I drew this up since I couldn't find a diagram that looked how I wanted it to. So it's fairly simple, everything wires normally concerning the motor/esc/servo. You will have to splice power off of the ESC battery wires to go to the winch controller. This only works because it's a 2S battery. When I setup mine, I desoldered the connector from the ESC battery wires, wrapped the winch wires around the ESC wires, and soldered both wires to the battery connector terminals. I think you should do it that way too. You'll have to pull the red and black wires out of the jr connector and leave the yellow one in the connector. Make sure you only solder the red and black wires from the winch controller with the red and black wires from the ESC to the connector.

As for the yellow signal wire and connector that comes out of the winch controller, plug that into the AUX channel in the receiver. Plug the winch into the winch controller and one of the switches on your transmitter should control the winch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.JPG
Views:	2385
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2053966  
Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool thanks so much!! I still have to order the controller. After Christmas I'll get it.
I just wanted to make sure my spektrum would work since it said on/off/on I didn't really know what that meant.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 AM
DieHarder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, It'll work! No problem!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Bertje

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Used the wiring

I tried the wiring diagram and it worked until i switched off the esc and the winch started to run untill i disconnected the battery.

when i reconnect the battery (with esc off) the winch ran again untill i used the dx5c to stop it.....