Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

a little advice for rtr race buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a little advice for rtr race buggy

So I was at one of my local tracks and was watching th race with one of my friends he and I both at the same time said we wanted to do that.

He wants a sc truck and we were looking at the AE sc10 rs but then one of guys here just recently posted up the new pro 4x4 I can remember exactly what that was ATM. But that one seems good.
And I want to get a 2wd buggy, I was looking at the AE line as well since that's the popular choice buggy at my track there were like 2 or 3 losi's, any ways I have 5 magazines from Rc driver I'll be reading tonight about racing, so I'll get info from those.
However I'm not sure what AE buggy to get there's so many like b5 b4 b44 b4.1 b4.2 and so on. I have a yeah racing 10.5t(3600kv) sensored motor here and my MMP I could put in the buggy but idk if either one of those are good enough for racing. So I was looking at trying to get a buggy for NO MORE THAN 350$ RTR. as close to race ready out of the box as I can get.
Also I don't know much about the classes I would assume if I did the YR motor it would be considered mod class? Other that That if I got a rtr I would be in stock class?
So I'm just asking for a bit of direction towards a good buggy I can start with being a begginer and be able to grow with as my skills grow. Parts support for AE is a non-issue 3 of my lhs stocks parts for them.
I'm not looking to be like the guy that races every wheel who's car is all decked out in titanium and carbon fiber bcuz he said he has 900$ extra in the car.
He did reccomend the orion stock ESC its was 150$ not bad I guess?

Sorry if I'm confusing obviously I'm not sure what I'm talking about. But that's why I have my friends all here to read this and say w.t.f and send a reply back
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collector is really the one who would have a good for this question. But if it was me getting into racing, I would get this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCPVW**&P=ML and run the 1/8 buggy stock class. They are lots of fun to drive, powerful, fast, great acceleration, etc. If I was going 2WD short course, the SC10 RS http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUCH&P=ML like you mentioned would be a good one I think. I don't race so my recommendations may or may not be good, but that's the route I would probably take if I was starting racing on the fly. Where's Collector?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:42 PM
zackS30

I figured collector, rob, or syco would be all over this lol.
From what ur saying diehard we r in the same ball park.
I was thinking of going with the b5m and setting it up with inline electronics. From what I've read in my mags the b5 & b5m are the better ones but the b5m came ahead on the cornering aspect, I guess bcuz of it being a mid motor the weight is a little more forward giving the fronts a bit more bite. I'm comfortable with my rigs being in the air although I don't jump my exo too often. So I think if I'm in the air I'd be OK with it. Of coarse I would buy the buggy assemble of and it would sit here for a little while so I can get the rest of what's needed. I have a motor and RX/tx (spektrum ds4c with sr300 RX) so the remote is good I think. I would need a servo and ESC and I pinion which isn't really a problem. I'm thinking the ions for tires or suburbs? Maybe I'm on the wrong track as far as the tires I'm thinking of???
I can get a good feel for the buggy on my own at the bmx track up the street but that's loose dirt not clay.
An rtr would be ideal to start and then I can switch the elecs as I get better with it. The yeah racing motor is powerful and quick I guess bcuz its sensored, that's why its so smooth. I have the tekin redline gen2 that's a sensored 10.5t also but that's in my wraith.

Idk, I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Oh as far far as I'm aware the lipo allowed is hard case 2s and 2wd is more common. I also haven't seen any 1/8th buggies racing there only 1/10 buggy and SCT and those weird trucks that look SCT but r open wheel. Truggy?

Last edited by zackS30; 01-24-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my story from the last 1 1/4 year. Brother bought a SC10RS at the track after his Razor had a major break down. It was sooo much smoother, easy to drive, faster, all around better then the Razor. So 2 weeks later I ordered the SC10.2 kit. I just did not want another radio, battery and charger I could not use and did not want. We were looking at something that we could run and not spend more time working on them then we did driving them.

After 3 trips to the track, brother found the radio lacking in features so he bought a GT3C radio. Really likes the expo feature. A couple months later, motor went up in smoke. So he bought another SC10RS, why, not sure. So he has (2) now. He has had the usual parts break here and there. A arms, chassis, servos died, plastic hex's strip, shock shafts break. All in all it has been a good truck. Lots of time on it, lots of abuse and still running. I bought him the spring kit for the front and back shocks. Now he is getting into the tuning of his truck. He is having a good time with his SC10rs, well what is left of the RTR part.

Only down side to the RTR I see is the charger and the radio.

I bought the SC10.2 kit, it4 radio, Solar 772 servo, Hobby Wing 60 amp esc, Tacon motor. It is a little more than your $300.00, but for me it would be worth the extra money. You will end up getting a better charger, radio if you stay in it for 6 months. I found a second SC10.2 for $200.00 on the forums. If you can find a clean used one, that would be a good start.

Radio
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...io-orange.html

motor
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m24-car-3650-3500.html

ESC
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html

Servo
http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d772.html

Or
http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d771.html

You will have to sit down and really think about it. I can show you what worked for me, other can show what has worked for them. Not sure of what classes you have there, but the short course we have two based on motor turns, 10 and 17, I think

Buzz.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

racing isn't my forte as closest track is like 2-3 hours away, and run races while I'm at work.

I'm more general advice, and bashing as that is all I can do really where I live.
I usually just tell people that wanna race to go watch a day or 2 of races, and see which class, and vehicle they like the most, and go with that.

IF I was to do 2wd SCT I might look at the Blitz as I semi wanted one at one point, but that was more due to how rugged people claimed it was at the time.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 PM
zackS30

Cool all that sounds great for the sc10rs some good wrenching while still having a solid vehicle to race.

The SCT is what my buddy wants. I have a ac680 charger which is what I reccomended for him to get. Other than that I think he'll be good. He races 1:1 sprint cars so he already has good racing instincts.

I however want a buggy. We watched the buggies and SCTs race at out track. We want to be a team and double team the compition. While the one races the other can be "pit crew/coach" so we can keep each other in-line with him having the racers edge and me having more experience with RCs, we might end up being successful.

I would like to have some input about a buggy. I've been looking at the b5 and b5m just can't really decide which direction to go. I have a spektrum dx4c so my radio is good. I think I'm gunna go with the orion stock ESC. Not sure what motor. Also not sure on servo. I don't assume it would have to be strong but fast? Maybe .08sec? Idk.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 PM
blvdbuzzard

Either of the B5's. They are the most run at my track. The servo I listed is .08. On rctech.net, there is a thread for the B5 and one for the B5m. Tons of reading there.

Funny how things work out. last year, before Thanks Giving, brother was thinking about getting a car. We are long time plane guys. One of the first ones I showed him was the SC10rs, he said it was to much. After a super sale on the Razor, we got those. Now they are run off track and we have our track trucks. For over a month, brother was calling him self Dr. Smooth. Because his SC10rs was soooooooo much smoother then the Razor. So now I put Dr. Smooth killer on the side of every one of my truck bodies.

No matter what buggy you get, it is all about having fun. Brother and I go every week for 4 to 5 hours. Tons of fun and the stress has just melted away.

This is the place we race, well we call it that, more like crashing, but we have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cboc7lljcOY

Buzz.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
zackS30

Oh I didn't see the threads I did a search about race buggies a lot of what I saw was for 1/8 though. Granted that was a Google search. I'll try to find the b5 threads, thanks.
I'll watch that bid here in a minute.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by zackS30
So I was at one of my local tracks and was watching th race with one of my friends he and I both at the same time said we wanted to do that.

He wants a sc truck and we were looking at the AE sc10 rs but then one of guys here just recently posted up the new pro 4x4 I can remember exactly what that was ATM. But that one seems good.
And I want to get a 2wd buggy, I was looking at the AE line as well since that's the popular choice buggy at my track there were like 2 or 3 losi's, any ways I have 5 magazines from Rc driver I'll be reading tonight about racing, so I'll get info from those.
However I'm not sure what AE buggy to get there's so many like b5 b4 b44 b4.1 b4.2 and so on. I have a yeah racing 10.5t(3600kv) sensored motor here and my MMP I could put in the buggy but idk if either one of those are good enough for racing. So I was looking at trying to get a buggy for NO MORE THAN 350$ RTR. as close to race ready out of the box as I can get.
Also I don't know much about the classes I would assume if I did the YR motor it would be considered mod class? Other that That if I got a rtr I would be in stock class?
So I'm just asking for a bit of direction towards a good buggy I can start with being a begginer and be able to grow with as my skills grow. Parts support for AE is a non-issue 3 of my lhs stocks parts for them.
I'm not looking to be like the guy that races every wheel who's car is all decked out in titanium and carbon fiber bcuz he said he has 900$ extra in the car.
He did reccomend the orion stock ESC its was 150$ not bad I guess?

Sorry if I'm confusing obviously I'm not sure what I'm talking about. But that's why I have my friends all here to read this and say w.t.f and send a reply back
Thanks in advance!!!
I'm here! Hope I'm not too late. The B5 is a great platform for racing as far as buggies go. 10.5 is the sweet spot, and is considered a mod class. A B5 rear motor is the best for all conditions. Mid motor is more for indoor tracks with perfectly polished clay that feels like glass, lol.

Fitting an MMP in there will be a stretch however. I'd grab one of the Atomik 120A RED ESCs. Mine fits without problem. For steering, I chose a Hitec HG625MG and a Venom shorty pack for battery. Radios can be whatever you normally use. I'll put these links below, no worries.

Onto the SC truck. I'd tell him to go to the track one day and see how many SC trucks are running. It certainly is a thinning class, while 1/10 buggies and 1/10 stadium trucks are growing in popularity. If a good amount of SC truck are running at each race, the SC10RS RTR line looks good for a beginning racer.

B5; http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../ascd9001.html
Servo; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ87
Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/products/ven...-with-uni-plug
ESC; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...s-sensored-esc

SC10; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUCX&P=ML
Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger
Battery; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM
zackS30

So the b5 would be best then, cool. My track has a weird thing that comes across the track that some guy pushed and it flattens it but it doesn't look glassy it looks a tad rough still.
I have been eye balling the kit and just thought about getting stuff as I can. I have also looked st some used ones on eBay there's a couple one stood out to me, I'm not sure if it is that great or not but I could sell the electronics in it and get new stuff. I'll try to get a link for it.

Thanks collector!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 PM
zackS30

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331454508819?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM
blvdbuzzard

Here you go.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...or-thread.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...or-thread.html

Buzz.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
zackS30

I saw those today I read a couple pages in the b5 one and after a while they started arguing and *****ing at each other
Evedently no such thread exists on rcu? I tried to do a search but when I typed team associated b5 all it searched was team. :/ I even added , in between team, associated, b5 then it did team associated but still wasn't what I wanted.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zackS30
So the b5 would be best then, cool. My track has a weird thing that comes across the track that some guy pushed and it flattens it but it doesn't look glassy it looks a tad rough still.
I have been eye balling the kit and just thought about getting stuff as I can. I have also looked st some used ones on eBay there's a couple one stood out to me, I'm not sure if it is that great or not but I could sell the electronics in it and get new stuff. I'll try to get a link for it.

Thanks collector!
I havent read the threads about the handling aspects of the B5 vs B5m but collector is right. Mid motor is more for those glass smooth, blue groove tracks where you can get lots of traction. For looser tracks the rear motor will give you more traction out of the corners.

RCTech has lots of vehicle specific threads for racing but going through a thread that's hundreds of pages can suck and searching within a thread doesn't help for general info. If you're considering used have a look at their classifieds section, most of the time the prices and honesty are better than eBay.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 AM
zackS30

I didn't realize rctech had a classified. I've been looking at some used ones on eBay. I can sell the electronics that r in whatever I get and up grade if needed.

Would sensored be best or does it matter for racing buggies?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 PM
zackS30

OK so all the guys at my track run mid motor buggies. Even the girl at the counter said get a b5m. I asked about electronics and another guy said most of them run 17.5 sensored motor. Either reedy or TLR, however I'm very happy with my tekin in my wraith, would a tekin 17.5 be OK? There's a 17.5rpm also. Not sure what's different ATM.
The guy said that the 17.5 is stock class and its the most fun to watch and most competitive also. So I'll stay in the stock class I suppose.

Last edited by zackS30; 01-29-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:39 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Zack man, I didn't have any advice to offer....so I stayed out. Sounds like yer on the right, um, track, anyway.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
zackS30

Lol ur good rob. Just trying to figure this out b4 I drop a bunch of money for nothing.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 AM
DieHarder

I'd get a Reedy or TLR. According to Collector, the Tekin racing motors aren't all that great. Go up in flames so I heard. lol TLRs look awesome, but Reedys are legendary. Either should be great!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:34 AM
collector1231

And zack, is it a glassy smooth/bluegroove track? If so, the B5M is great. If not, buy the B5 rear motor.

Diehard is 100% right. I've seen more Tekin blowouts than anything else. I see at least 2 blow up a year at club races alone.

I like Atomik motors (as you might have noticed, lol). I have a 10.5, and I can safely say it is the smoothest motor I have ever owned in my whole life. Thats coming from a Reedy 13.5.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:17 PM
zackS30

All the guys at the track have mid motor cars. They slide just a tad but not very much.
I might go with a reedy or atomik. Putting lrp in an AE seems likes shoping at Walmart with target bags lol.
I've never heard anything bad about atomik so I might go with that.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 PM
collector1231

In that case, the mid motor is the best way to go. And lol, you're right about that.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
zackS30

Haha.
Well thanks guys!! Got a lot of good info here for sure!!