Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to rc. How did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:49 PM
slow06gto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to rc. How did I do?

First off I would just like to say hello. I have never owned a hooby grade rc but wanted to get a new hobby. If you have any advice or tips and tricks it would be much appreciated. Anyway here is what I bought to start out with. A traxxas slash 2wd vxl, a DuraTrax Onyx 245 charger and two DuraTrax 7 Cell 8.4V DTX4600 NiMH Hump Batteries. So how did I do?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
08hondacivicsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traxxas are a good rc and they sell alot of cars. I think you did ok. I have use to have a 2wd slash but I now have a 4x4 and it's alot better. I would recommend to looking in getting some lipo batterys and a charger for them. It will give you more punch and last longer on running time. But since your new just make sure you do research on lipos before buying any. Other then that have fun with the slash.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You must be excited about your new found addiction...the same thread in two forums . Good choice for first hobby grade RC. The Slash has almost an endless amount of upgrades/hop-ups in it's arsenal. Read up on Everything you need to know about LiPo batteries... so that when you want to "up the ante" a bit in performance, you will be more informed of what the numbers mean.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

High powered brushless systems put a lot of stress to batteries and connectors. Use the best NiMh batteries you can find/afford to get. You should be good with them 7 cell packs for awhile. The better the batteries, the more punch you’ll have! My first experience with brushless motors/ESC was less than good, and that's only because of me using "older" NiMh batteries. The ESC/brushless motor combo would try to "suck out" more than what my "tired" NiMh packs had in them. After getting quality NiMh cells, issues with the ESC cutting out were gone. But after switching to LiPo (years later and as the prices came down)...there's no going back to assembling/buying NiMh packs again.

Get out there and kick up some dirt!