Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My Arrma Talion BLX 6S blah blah blah Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 AM
HoldDaMayo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Arrma Talion BLX 6S blah blah blah Review

Really enjoying my Talion so far, made a little video review showing how I modded the body posts to fit the body a bit better.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrXGaJvkT8
Old 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM
HoldDaMayo

Took my Arrma Talion out to the track today, got about an hour or track time in and enjoyed every second of it, ran 4S the entire day. The track is still being smoothed out, it has some rough areas, some jumps had a bit of a wonky launch on them, result was a few big hits to the front bumper and both wheels hitting a few walls but zero damage. Well, one of the pictures below you can see the chunk taken out of one of the A-Arms, but it's fine, i'm not replacing it.

The only issue I had was the deans connectors kept coming apart, I tried velcro'ing differently, but I believe it was my mistake as one of the ESC wires had come out of it's little clip and the servo arm was tugging on it I believe.

I didn't have any issues with the power switch turning off, so that was cool. The sexy body is perfect, no rips or tears. The tires were better than I thought, but definitely not going to be a good choice for race day.

I put the optional 15th pinion in the truck and checked the center diff... I'm not sure what kind of oil they put in it from the factory, but mine did have significant resistance, so I'm not too concerned about it for now. The screws that hold the center diff together were kind of loose though and some oil was leaking out, I tightened each of the 4 screws at least a quarter turn.

Anyway, next time I go, i'll take some video so you guys can watch my baby fly through the air! (and then most likely smash into a pipe or wall...haha)

Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 PM
HoldDaMayo

Just finished a full day at the track with the Talion and it was a blast. Really enjoyed the truck on 4S with the included 15t pinion. The temps were nice and warm but not hot on the ESC and motor, it was about 80 degrees out.

I also ran about 30 minutes of 6S on the track and I found it to be counter productive. My lap times were worse, my control was worse, the throttle sensitivity was rough and a smidge to much throttle and the back end would break loose and it was tough to recover. I will most likely sell my 2 3S packs and buy another 4S pack. I reallly enjoyed the 4S/15t on the 1/8 scale track. I am tempted to try a 16t pinion, I may end up giving it a shot, for just a bit more top end on the 2 straights.

The bad news is the truck didn't survive the entire day. Right about the time I was going to leave, the Talion servo stripped out. I noticed some unresponsive turning and brought it in, sure enough, the servo was making all kinds of fun noises. The Talion was definitely not subject to any weirdness, just standard driving stuff with zero other broken parts, so I believe this is a defect with the Servo and I will be trying to get warranty coverage with Arrma and will let you guys know how that goes.

The other issue I had was the back body hole broke through and the clip is forever lost to mother nature. I still had one good one and it had zero impact on the performance and operation for the entire day, it happened about 1/2 through the day. The rumor is someone dared (maybe double dog) me to do this jump off the track and I may have gone a bit too crazy with it.

I did take some video but haven't edited it yet, I might post it up a bit later. Just want to say how horrible I am at multi-tasking, while recording, even though the Sony HDR-AS100V was mounted directly to my transmitter, I my driving got 1000% worse just because I had to think about aiming the controller at the vehicle. Much respect to the guys out there that pull it off smoothly.

I also took my LC-EMB-MTH(Tacon Valor MT) and I believe folks were just as impressed with the MTH as they were with the Talion, I did front flips, back flips, even schooled some 1/10 scale on the oval track with my little 1/14 scale MT. Guys told me it's currently sold out on NitroRCX.com... so apparently, they really liked it enough to look it up. They asked me what spare parts I bought with it and I said zero, I've still yet to break ONE THING on this amazing truck. Roughly 50 packs through it.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:58 PM
HoldDaMayo

Here are the promised racing clips, just fyi, track was extremely dry and loose and I'm brand new to the layout and racing in general... why am i trying to justify my suckiness... I wear it proudly... haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLDCdEGTF80
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Mayo! You're in Folsom? I'm in Placerville!
So where is that track you're running on in that vid? Is that Rescue? How did you get the whole place to yourself?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 AM
HoldDaMayo

Hey Rob, that is indeed Rescue Raceway, they just opened up for the season. It's actually not too busy, but they haven't started the race season yet, once that starts up I imagine it will get busier and busier. Right now they are only open Thursday - Saturday, and Friday and Saturday I was there, Friday I didn't see one person, but Saturday had a decent amount of people, although, I got at least 2 full packs run with the track to myself while others were charging/tooling/etc. You should come by some time, it's a blast. You ever go to Auburn? I heard that place is fun too, I've never been.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
EXT2Rob

I'll be darned! Last I'd heard about Rescue, after it had been closed down by someone who didn't like the noise, and who had influence with the County, was that it would only be open to "club members" or some such, and only for "sanctioned" racing events. i.e. they're trying to limit the activity there. And last time I drove by and stopped to have a look at the old track, it was a complete mess. Apparently they've (and who is "they"?) fixed the place up. I had no idea it was open.

No, never been to any track in Auburn. Never knew they HAD one! I would like to try my hand at a real track sometime. We live on 10 acres and my buddy and I have laid out a course, and just driving the cars around the course has created a "track" now. Only one real jump, and it's just a mound. But we have a blast when he comes up for a "race day".

We started with Evaders, learned to drive, upgraded them to brushless and lipo, and got darned good at driving them fast around the track. But we'd get frustrated sometimes when one of us would make a mistake and spin out. Getting back up to speed with a light 2wd car took real throttle control, but by then, the other guy would be half a lap ahead. I decided to buy a small-ish (about Evader size) 4wd car, the Ofna/HoBao Hyper 10TT. It was so much easier to control! My buddy bought one, and our door-to-door, lap after lap racing was never better. Been having a blast with them for the last year or so. Then I started getting interested in looking at short course truck platforms. The Hyper TT has a stable mate, the Hyper 10SC, and they share 90% of the parts, which would save me a lot of money in spare parts. I mentioned this to a guy on a Hyper TT forum and he told me he had a couple 10SCs he was thinking of selling!!! I bought both of them, knowing once my buddy saw "mine", he'd want one too. They both came with 550 brushless motor systems and servos, for only $320! WAY different from the TTs, yet they share all the parts.

Will have to come over to Rescue and check it out. Maybe we'll run into each other. I'll look for the guy with the Talion. My 10SC has the old Gulf Oil livery.

Cheers!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:53 PM
HoldDaMayo

Track layout was changed some, did some more laps today, the Talion is holding up super well, about 20 packs through it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPrpzTmFz98

Last edited by HoldDaMayo; 03-25-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM
HoldDaMayo

Finally got some proper wheels/tires, they are used but in good shape, very light usage. Did a little test run outside my house, they are Pro-Line Calibers. Yes, i have too much toe-out right now, will adjust that soon, was kind of experimenting with the old wheels/tires.

https://youtu.be/vPrpzTmFz98
Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 PM
HoldDaMayo

Took some video of battery testing yesterday, I think it went about how i expected... also running to new Pro-Line Calibers and i like them, but i'm not sure i love them.

Also, someone should have called BS on the Talion Weight I gave earlier... I have a very precise scale, but my early morning math skills are lacking... the truck actually weighs about 8.3 lbs *without* battery, so a little under 9lbs depending on battery weight, i believe mine are 1/3lb roughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KWaEn_rI0
Old 04-04-2015, 07:24 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey Mayo! I'm going to be over at Rescue today, delivering some cinder blocks, an hanging out a little to meet folks. Love to meet ya. Unfortunately, my SCT is out of commission so I won't be able to run. Figuring I'll be getting there around 11am.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
HoldDaMayo

Rob, was good seeing you out at the track, next time bring some toys!

Did some racing and video recording last weekend. We had a really small turn out because of easter, a bunch of folks were out of town, but we still had a blast!

You can see some video of the truggy with the new wheels tires and some fun short course action I filmed while marshaling (i know, bad marshal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rrM9IlNrgY
Old 04-08-2015, 06:43 AM
EXT2Rob

It was great meeting you, Mike, and Seth too. Seems like a nice group. I've signed up.
I've got my SCT going again and ready for action. In fact, my buddy is coming up today for a race day at my place. He may be joining the Raceway group too.
Happy to see they have a "mini" class. That means I can race my Hyper TT against the Mini E-Revos. Cool!
I'll have to meet ya on a Thursday sometime for a practice day at the racetrack.

How do you guys hook up the transponders? And why aren't they in a protective case? Everyone I saw was a naked circuit board.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
HoldDaMayo

I ordered some new bearings from Fast Eddy and within the first few weeks had 4 of them fail. I do run in fairly dusty conditions which can be rough of bearings, but the stock Arrma metal bearings that are supposedly known for needing to be replaced fairly quickly lasted me around 40 packs while the Fast Eddy's are already failing after like 5-10 packs. I just ordered some bearings from Avid and thought I'd share the list I ordered in case anyone else was interested, price was very good and I know some folks highly recommend their stuff:

Old 06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Hotled

I was looking at the 1/10 FURY BLX.......just wondering how the quality is and parts availability.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:25 PM
HoldDaMayo

Parts are mostly available online, not many local shops carry them yet, although you should check around, as it does seem to be improving. The quality is going to be good, the Arrma 1/10 products are very tough and should seldom break. That being said, they are not aimed at competitive racing.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 AM
08hondacivicsi

This is what to my talion last week. Ouch just don't hit a steel pole.