Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to the hobby and pretty much stuck

Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, I can see why they wired it the way they did. Why are you running 11.1v 3S lipos?! In that case since you've already bought them, the wiring is correct for the batteries you have. Normally people run two 7.4v lipos in series and get 4S. However it is currently setup to run two 11.1v lipos in parallel to get 3S with twice the mah. The batteries should last a good long while on a charge. lol So yes, it's setup correctly. I didn't know you were using 11.1v lipos.

Most steering systems have what they call a "servo saver". It's a little spring loaded mechanism that prevents damage to the servo by taking the brunt of the blow when the wheels get mangled around in a crash. It keeps the stress of the servo with the spring mechanism. Some servo savers are part of the servo horn and some are in the steering linkage. Don't be afraid to take the steering linkage apart. It may just need some light oil to get the linkages moving smoothly and it might center correctly. Some servo savers need resetting after being activated, so take it apart and investigate.

Don't go to the hobby shops with a Redcat, they don't normally work on that stuff. Most Redcat support comes from guys here on the forums, so stick with us. I myself would've bought something else for a little more money, but you get what you pay. It's a decent model and not nearly as cheap as it could be. It's still hobby grade.

If it runs going forward, use it, play with it, have fun. Who needs reverse all that often? I'm not saying that's the solution, but if it's running, maybe not in perfectly working order, why not get some enjoyment from your $400? Get out there man and tear up the streets!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 AM
jaguar-xjr

Yeah, I should have done more research before I bought this Redcat.

I saw the truck on youtube videos, and it made the truck look pretty much indestructible.

If you are serious about sorting it out, I'd have no problem shipping it to you and paying you for your time & supplies.

Thanks again everybody.

p.s. I purchased a servo saver when I bought the car.

I asked Redcat if they could provide any assistance in installing it, and they told me to look at the exploded view in the instruction manual.

I guess that I will just start tearing into the thing and not be afraid of messing it up.

I am very good at working on my own daily driver and project cars,
it's just that all the little electronic parts are a bit confusing to me on this RC truck.

I will also pick up the hobby wing programmer and see what I can do with it.

Thanks again

Last edited by jaguar-xjr; 03-29-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 AM
jaguar-xjr

Found this info:

Note:
Hobbywing has the following 3 program boxes, their hardware and software are all identical, bur they have different labels. User can print the suitable labels to make the program box to be suitable for more products.
PN: 86020010 (LED Program Box_2C)
PN: 86020030 (LED Program Box_2B)
PN: 86020020 (LED Program Box_2A)

Are these correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-LE...item43ca40642c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111364311765...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by jaguar-xjr; 03-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM
tooth-less

Originally Posted by jaguar-xjr
Found this info:

Note:
Hobbywing has the following 3 program boxes, their hardware and software are all identical, bur they have different labels. User can print the suitable labels to make the program box to be suitable for more products.
PN: 86020010 (LED Program Box_2C)
PN: 86020030 (LED Program Box_2B)
PN: 86020020 (LED Program Box_2A)

Are these correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-LE...item43ca40642c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111364311765...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

before you buy I may have a spare you can have. Let me dig through my pit box and i will let you know.

This is the correct one 4 sure
http://www.falconsekido.com/products/led-pc2c
Old 03-29-2015, 02:02 PM
DieHarder

I'd take you up on shipping it, but that would cost quite a bit, unless you're nearby in Michigan. I think we can help you sort it out and save you a lot of money over the forums here.

I checked out the manual for the ESC that's in your truck and the ebay listings you linked are the right ones. Either of those should work and are user friendly interfaces. The one I linked that looks a little different is the advanced programmer, and that's a bit complicated. So yeah, go ahead and get either of the ones you linked, unless toothless has one for you, then you're good to go there.

I learned to work on my first truck by just digging in and figuring it out. If you are really afraid of messing it up, take pictures so you know how it goes back together. Biggest thing is don't over tighten and strip screws. I have lots of stripped screws in my first truck and it's the worst when aluminum holes strip out. If you can wrench on 1:1s, then I don't think you'll have trouble with the mechanical linkages of your Redcat. Good luck man! A little oil on joints goes a long way!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:27 PM
jaguar-xjr

Thanks a lot guys.

I appreciate all of the offer's of assistance and for sharing your knowledge.

I know that this is just a learning experience.

With your help I know I will get the car up and running.

I appreciate it!

Oh yeah, before I purchase my next RC car, I will DEFINITELY check with all of you before I buy it
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
tooth-less

jaguar..have an extra card........pm sent.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM
jaguar-xjr

Originally Posted by tooth-less
jaguar..have an extra card........pm sent.

Hey.

Just sent a pm.

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I should have done more research before I bought this Redcat.

I saw the truck on youtube videos, and it made the truck look pretty much indestructible.

If you are serious about sorting it out, I'd have no problem shipping it to you and paying you for your time & supplies.

Thanks again everybody.

p.s. I purchased a servo saver when I bought the car.

I asked Redcat if they could provide any assistance in installing it, and they told me to look at the exploded view in the instruction manual.

I guess that I will just start tearing into the thing and not be afraid of messing it up.

I am very good at working on my own daily driver and project cars,
it's just that all the little electronic parts are a bit confusing to me on this RC truck.

I will also pick up the hobby wing programmer and see what I can do with it.

Thanks again
I could. Still working on my soldering skills, but I think I could fix it for you. Send me a PM through here.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM
jaguar-xjr

I've been emailing Redcat back and forth to get a replacement ESC.

The ESC started making that "screeching" sound again and now the fan appears to be seized up.

Redcat keeps dodging the issue, and I am not sure if they are going to send me a new ESC under warranty.

I purchased the car on 2-28-15, and received it on 3-3-15.

I registered the car with Redcat right away. When I filed a claim I included the invoice number as well.

They told me that the car will run with one 11.1v, but not with two 11.1v batteries.

Now they want me to get two 7.4v batteries and test the car before they will continue with my claim.

I don't have access to any 7.4v batteries, so I don't know if they will send a new ESC or not.
I am certainly not going to buy some 7.4v batteries for the car to make them happy.

They also went on to say that they do not state that the car will run on two 11.1v batteries.

I pointed out that they don't state that it won't function on the 11.1v batteries that they shipped me with the car.

Now they say that they are not familiar with the Hobbywing programming card.
How can that be?
I told them that I now have the PDF instructions manual for this ESC.

I dunno guys.
This Redcat purchase has not gone well at all.

I have no doubt that I will get the car up and running just fine.

I do not think that Redcat will honor their warranty.

I for one will never purchase a Redcat product in the future.

I will keep you posted.

Once I get the card, I will try again.

In fact, I think I will post a video of the programming process for you so you guys can see first hand how this is going.

Thanks again guys!

If this forum was not here, I would sell the car as a "broken car" on eBay and cut my losses.

Last edited by jaguar-xjr; 04-01-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM
DieHarder

Redcat = Poor customer service these days

I get the feeling that they don't understand that your two 11.1v batteries are wired parallel and are only feeding the ESC 11.1v, not 22.2v like a normal setup would. If you told them that you were only using one 11.1v battery, they probably would've understood that you are well within the voltage range. The ESC's voltage rating is only 14.8v, so they think you are running a full 22.2v and that's why they are saying you need smaller batteries.

If it were me, I'd just tell them that I tried two 7.4v (2S) batteries and there is still a problem. Yeah, it's a lie, but they lied to you if they claimed that they aren't familiar with a hobbywing programming card. That's BS. I say, do whatever it takes to get a warranty out of them! lol I've lied to quite a few companies to avoid confusion and get my product, but I've been very fair about it. Just don't get caught in a contradictory. Write down what your going to tell them and figure it out before contacting them. Make sure it doesn't contradict what you said before.

Worst comes to worst, you can buy a new ESC pretty cheap, but I'm sure it would be of your best interests to get the warranty instead and not sink anymore money into it. Good luck man!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:24 PM
xfhxgh

when you give it full throttle does the esc lights change colors ?

Last edited by xfhxgh; 04-02-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM
jaguar-xjr

Originally Posted by xfhxgh
It does for forward but not reverse.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM
jaguar-xjr

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Redcat = Poor customer service these days

I get the feeling that they don't understand that your two 11.1v batteries are wired parallel and are only feeding the ESC 11.1v, not 22.2v like a normal setup would. If you told them that you were only using one 11.1v battery, they probably would've understood that you are well within the voltage range. The ESC's voltage rating is only 14.8v, so they think you are running a full 22.2v and that's why they are saying you need smaller batteries.

If it were me, I'd just tell them that I tried two 7.4v (2S) batteries and there is still a problem. Yeah, it's a lie, but they lied to you if they claimed that they aren't familiar with a hobbywing programming card. That's BS. I say, do whatever it takes to get a warranty out of them! lol I've lied to quite a few companies to avoid confusion and get my product, but I've been very fair about it. Just don't get caught in a contradictory. Write down what your going to tell them and figure it out before contacting them. Make sure it doesn't contradict what you said before.

Worst comes to worst, you can buy a new ESC pretty cheap, but I'm sure it would be of your best interests to get the warranty instead and not sink anymore money into it. Good luck man!

Redcat states that they WILL NOT cover the ESC under warranty because I used two 11.1v batteries and that ruined the ESC.

Their reply is:

"we understand your ESC and fan are not working correctly. We believe they are damaged as a result of using the incorrect batteries and giving the ESC too much power/voltage. The ESC, motor, and vehicle is compatible with 14.8 volts but anything over this voltage can create harm/damage to your electronics. You have the option of sending the ESC to us for a discount through the Lifetime Electronics Replacement program however we would not be able to replace the ESC under the warranty at no cost.

Let us know if you are comfortable with this option and we will give you the details on how to proceed."

Redcat will sell me a new ESC for "$65.00 to $95.00". I do not know why they are quoting me a range of 65 to 95 dollars for a replacement.

I'll try the Hobbywing card when I receive it.

However, can you guys recommend a good ESC for a good price if mine is ruined?

Thanks again everybody!

Old 04-04-2015, 09:03 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah. I have this exact ESC in my B5, and I really like it. 3 years, and its going on strong.

In order to get a free replacement ESC, you might want to create a new email account on Hotmail or Gmail and message them through that so they can't tell if you were the same person, but say you only ran it on 2S. Lol.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10th_ESC.html

Last edited by collector1231; 04-04-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:28 AM
DieHarder

But $65 isn't too bad. If you're getting pretty frustrated with all this, you should probably just pay up and get a new one. If it were me, I'd do what Collector said, but maybe change my story just a tad so they don't catch on to you. But make sure it still makes perfect sense. It's not really honest but you deserve a free ESC and they need to give you one. Don't feel bad about it, if Redcat can get you a new one for $65 and still make a profit, that just shows that their financial loss would be miniscule.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 PM
kkidcw

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM
jkjuk

Last edited by jkjuk; 04-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
jaguar-xjr

Hey guys.

I've been doing some hunting for a new ESC.

This one states it can handle two (2) six (6) cell lipo batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FVT-80A-Brus...item2a4dc80fc0

Do you think it would work on my truck?

As always, I appreciate your help.

Also, to answer the throttle question:
The led on the ESC changes color for forward, but not reverse.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:35 AM
jaguar-xjr

tooth-less thank you so much for the programmer card! I owe you one!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:44 PM
tooth-less

tooth-less thank you so much for the programmer card! I owe you one!
Your welcome

I have 2 of those esc's, new in the box along with the programmer 20 bucks shipped. Not sure I would trust it to handle 6s but 4s should be fine. Personally I would recommend this esc. Very nice, real customer support and a warranty. Oh it works with the programmer you have.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:03 AM
jaguar-xjr

Originally Posted by tooth-less
Your welcome

I have 2 of those esc's, new in the box along with the programmer 20 bucks shipped. Not sure I would trust it to handle 6s but 4s should be fine. Personally I would recommend this esc. Very nice, real customer support and a warranty. Oh it works with the programmer you have.
That sounds great!

I also owe you for the programmer you sent me, please allow me to pay you.

I was thinking about selling the truck on eBay, but I'd get less than half of what I've got into it, so I think I will learn how to fix it and use it. What have I got to lose?

Thanks again my friend!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 AM
tooth-less

pm sent, you owe nothing for the programmer. Back in the day Hobbywing included them with everything it seems lol
Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 AM
jaguar-xjr

Hey guys!

I ordered new axles, a new servo, and one of these aluminum supports.

I don't have this kind of damage yet, but I figure why not be proactive.

I am going to tear the front end apart and get it all sorted out when I get the parts.

Also, tooth-less has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful with the ESC and cards!

As soon as everything arrives, I have do doubt that I will get this up and running soon.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

p.s. I have been looking at this truck to purchase next:

Do you guys approve?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shredder support 5.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	2091063   Click image for larger version

Name:	shredder support 4.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	2091064   Click image for larger version

Name:	bandit.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	2091068  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 AM
tooth-less

I would go Stadium truck myself it's 30 dollars cheaper new. Tough as nails and fast as hell

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112878
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lhpid2878.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2091072  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.