Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

I've done my research, still trying to make a final decision (noob content)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I've done my research, still trying to make a final decision (noob content)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM
OGL-Groot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've done my research, still trying to make a final decision (noob content)

I'm new to the hobby RC world. But I have a lifelong love of tinkering, fixing, breaking, building, improving and general philosophizing of just about everything. This includes real cars, electronics, computers, houses, gardens, campers, tents, music...blah blah. You probably get the point.

I've been wanting to get into RC for a long time. It seems recently the stars have aligned and I'm ready to jump in. But there is a steep learning curve and I want to bounce a few ideas off the group to see if I'm at least on the right track.

My assumptions:

1) I've already chosen electric over nitro.
2) Brushless/LIPO is the desired combo for long term fun, power etc.
3) 1/10 scale is the most common.
4) Something is going to break, believe it, get used to it.
5) There is inherent risk/responsibility in unleashing a 40mph+ projectile out into the world. I get it. I've successfully navigated this crazy planet for plenty of years.

As a baseline I've chosen 2 brands, and a few models for my entry point.

Traxxas (perhaps the biggest name out there?) has the XL-5 version and VXL version of most of their vehicles. I'm looking at Slash, Bandit and Rustler.

There is a significant price difference between the XL-5 and VXL versions which is obvious. The Brushless motor. But still does not include LIPO battery. Is the potential "hop-up-ability" worth the extra price? $250 is within my budget. $400 is stretching past my comfort zone.

Redcat Racing seems to be well liked around here as an entry level car. Redcat also offers 4x4 AND brushless AND LIPO in their Caldera XB 10E buggy for $300. On the surface it seems a no brainer.

Questions:

1) Is there something obvious I'm missing?
2) By no means am I married to these brands, I simply narrowed the field to be able to sanely make a decision
3) Buggy vs truck vs Stadium truck vs...are you kidding me? I just want to BASH! Seriously, I'm in the midwest which means rolling hills and lots of grass. I expect mostly "off roadish" type conditions.
4) Long term, I'll fix what breaks, upgrade when reasonable. Look for a local group and ... who knows?

Thanks all for being a great resource and a very helpful group!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM
OGL-Groot

Upon further investigation (and limited product availability) it seems the Caldera XB 10E http://www.redcatracing.com/CALDERA-XB-10E_2

seems the way to go. I look forward to any feedback!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU. And let me welcome you, in advance, to the addiction.
Like I usually tell someone...do your homework and look at/watch some reviews of any model that you are considering. If you have your mind set on those two bands, I would lean towards Traxxas only for the parts support. But hey, what do I know. I never had a Redcat. I only read reviews on many of their vehicles. Seems like it's a toss up with people liking them. You gotta start somewhere.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:29 PM
OGL-Groot

Addiction...I KNOW! I'm already trying to downplay it to my wife. But we generally meet somewhere in the middle...soooo...yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's my aggregate conclusion based on many reviews, completely independent of brand. There are mostly positive reviews of any brand, but the relevant negative ones (completely BS anger rants filtered out) generally go like this.

"I bought X and used it for 10 minutes. X broke and the motor struggled in grass and the battery died in 10 minutes. I wish I bought brushless motor and LIPO battery."

Traxxas specific: "Great product but X broke in 10 minutes, wish I had LIPO batteries. For the price it should have been better."

Redcat specific: "Great bang for the buck! X broke in 10 minutes but I'm glad I got the powerful motor and LIPO batteries."

Other brands/models have similar reviews and I could get completely mired down. But I'm willing to jump in and it seems like for my budget comfort level the Redcat is the leading candidate.

This is my completely unscientific, anecdotal summation based on a handful of purchase reviews and a couple message boards. Mostly this one.

Thanks!

Next question: Where to buy? Better at a dedicated RC hobby store? I'm in Chicagoland area. Or just find one online at the right prices and enter CC numbers?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 PM
tooth-less

If your gonna buy Redcat,Ebay would be the place. All the protections and none of the risk.

hit the yellow pages and see if there is any local hobby shops. it's nice to mingle with fellow hobbyist and nothing beats getting to touch new RC stuff :P

I own a Caldera 10E, fun truck that now includes a 3200mah lipo and of course a crappy wall charger. Hobbywing electronics and Redcat offers a decent amount of hop-ups to fix it's weak points. It's a good gateway RC

Keep in mind that whatever you decide expect to buy a good charger and at least 1-2 batteries

Other MT options that I own or have owned

HPI Bullet MT http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/107010
HPI Savage XS http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/106571
Traxxas Stampede https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../36054stampede over priced for what you get imo.

these are better trucks in the long run but dont include lipo batteries and in the case of the Traxxas, is not brushless

Last edited by tooth-less; 03-23-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM
NachoRTR

I would go for the traxxas slash, since its a good all around basher (and racer) and has very nice parts support and hop ups.
As for the size that really depends on you, just remember Bigger= more expensive, but i think 1/10 is a very good size
Old 03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
OGL-Groot

Thanks all! Will give all info its due consideration.

Maybe spend a few days visiting some local shops. I'd happily pay a few extra bucks to the shopkeeper who spends the time.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
08hondacivicsi

Yeah I would go for the slash. Its the most common I see people starting out with. If you break something its a easy fix and most hobby shops cares whatever breaks.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the 2wd slash, don't get me wrong I love mine but, it's not the best basher, they are more for people that want to sacrifice preformance with scale looks. Or people that really like SCT's like myself.

as a bash car, on loose surfaces they can be a hand full and there acceleration is very limited by the little traction the stock tyres provide. Been only 2wd the traction problem are even worse and it only has rear wheel brakes... And another thing to consider espically with the brushless versions they are excessivly easy to flip, with any kind of speed if u turn to sharp it's likely to barrel roll down the road.
compared to other brand rc cars it has a very high centre of gravity, and that's why it has a tendency to flip over.

if u were to get a slash, I'd recomend the upgrade Low centre of gravity chassis, and some bigger wheels...

but it if u were to look at other Traxxas products I'd recomend a Slash 4x4 or stampede 4x4 or a Telluride

they are all the same basic platform but with slight dimensional differences, ie. The slash longer and the stampede is wider.

for around $310 u should be able to pick up a 4x4 stampede or Telluride and for $100 more u could get a slash 4x4 but the catch is they are brushed with nimh batteries. But I think that's a good starting point. Espically the stampede, they are a very capable basher due to been 4x4 with big monster truck tryes... Even tho it's brushed it's going to be fun and later down the track u can allways buy some lipos and charger for the brushed combo then later on upgraded it to brushless for roughly $100
Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
DieHarder

Lx2e
Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
OGL-Groot

Took a trip to Hobbytown in Schaumburg. Very nice and quite helpful. As I said earlier a good instore experience goes a long way with me. So based on the feedback here, further research and a lengthy chat I've been convinced of the merits of Traxxas. Also I will likely buy instore and work to establish a relationship.

I've decided to forgo the expense of brushless and LIPO for now and just enjoy getting my feet wet.

So now the Slash? Or the Stampede? I predict the truck will see a lot of grass. The 2wd versions are similarly priced, but the 4wd Slash is $100 more than the Stampede 4wd. What gives? Based on price alone I think the Stampede 4x4 will get the nod.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
tooth-less

Pede 4wd is a good fun truck.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by OGL-Groot
I'm new to the hobby RC world.............
Don't play with little toy cars. Do RC jet airplanes instead.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM
DieHarder

I fly planes and it's quite enjoyable. I love my Pulse and my Radian on the calm, lofty days. I have to admit though, being 15, I still have the most fun bashing my Evader.
Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Don't play with little toy cars. Do RC jet airplanes instead.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Bandit VXL, Rustler VXL, EREVO VXL, and EMAXX brushed converted to brushless. Of all of these the Emax was the cheapest and the most fun.I bought a brushed EMAX for $250 used on CL. I then went to hobby king bought a couple of 2S batt's LIPOs 5000 hardpack's, a 1/8th 2000kv ESC Motor combo and a $20 lipo charger and it's cheaper but the most fun truck I have. So my advice is save your money and buy an EMAXX. If your going offroad the emaxx has a much higher center of gravity. So it will roll over better, jump better and just more fun IMO.

1) Make sure it's brushless brushed motors burn out and require maintenance also they are so much slower!!!
2) Make sure it's 4x4 you will need the extra traction.
3) Get lipos. better performance and they typically will run 20 minutes easy on a 2S 5000 lipo 35C or better.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 PM
DieHarder

About half of this is good recommendations... just sayin...
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
I have a Bandit VXL, Rustler VXL, EREVO VXL, and EMAXX brushed converted to brushless. Of all of these the Emax was the cheapest and the most fun.I bought a brushed EMAX for $250 used on CL. I then went to hobby king bought a couple of 2S batt's LIPOs 5000 hardpack's, a 1/8th 2000kv ESC Motor combo and a $20 lipo charger and it's cheaper but the most fun truck I have. So my advice is save your money and buy an EMAXX. If your going offroad the emaxx has a much higher center of gravity. So it will roll over better, jump better and just more fun IMO.

1) Make sure it's brushless brushed motors burn out and require maintenance also they are so much slower!!!
2) Make sure it's 4x4 you will need the extra traction.
3) Get lipos. better performance and they typically will run 20 minutes easy on a 2S 5000 lipo 35C or better.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 AM
OGL-Groot

After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger and a nice big package landed on my doorstep yesterday. I am now the proud new owner of a...

wait for it...

Hobbyzone Super Cub RC plane!

If you're interested in the reasons read on. I really do appreciate the feedback and thoughtful responses I got on the forum.

The bottom line was I never fully felt OK with spending $300+ on an entry into a hobby I may or may not stick with. I've got plenty going on and don't really "need" a distraction. Quite by accident I discovered that planes were far cheaper. For $150 I got a ready to fly plane, radio, receiver and a bunch of extras which should cover the initial learning curve (accidents) AND 4 extra batteries.

The truck I decided on, the Stampede, was back ordered everywhere. It really felt like all the signs were telling me to reconsider.

Besides flying pushes the envelope in a way that feels like a challenge worth stepping up to.

Thanks again! I'll probably find my way back.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Talk about your about-face! Ha. Hey mate, as long as yer happy with yer decision, that's all that matters, yeah? Have fun!

The Stampy is back-ordered everywhere, eh? Huh.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Fidy$Trainer

lol another epic poor choice. You should have bought the 3ch Champ for $89 and then you could have learned to fly in your front yard. The 3ch Super Cub is a POS! And you need a pretty decent field to fly it. Not sure if the red cubs are brushless yet or even 4ch. If your into modding then when you get a little better you can rig up brushless setup with ailerons and make it 4ch. I flew it once in stock form before I turned it into a "super" cub. Let me guess you went to Hobbytown USA and talked to one of the sales reps lol. Now this is a supercub. Honestly I love the Super Cub but hate it in stock form.

Stampeded would have been an aweful choice too. Your better off buying a used Slash on CL than a new Stampede. trust me I know! I havent tried the 4x4 Stampeded but you should really consider a 4x4 and brushless used truck in good condition over a new entry level class truck.

Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; 03-28-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:09 PM
OGL-Groot

"another epic poor choice" ??? Really? How many epic poor choices did I make? The warm fuzzies I felt about this place are quickly going away.

I'll keep you in mind when I need to thoroughly vet my next recreational purchase.

I didn't spend too much time fact checking everything you said. But I did reread the manual that came with my plane and if I read it correctly (I will admit I am still a noob at this rc thing) the MLP6DSM transmitter is described as a 6 channel radio. Did you say 3? Or 4? I was a little unclear on parts. Also those ailerons you mentioned? You mean the flappy control surfaces on each wing? Yep. Got them.

I didn't ask Hobbytown about planes. But according to the Internet, the plane I bought is widely regarded as one of, if not the most popular beginner plane. So...yeah.

I'm happy to keep an open mind and welcome any other feedback.

ps...It happened to be perfect conditions out this morning for my maiden flight and it was FUN!

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:15 PM
DieHarder

Trust me, you're a jackass.

Why the **** would you go out and totally slam some excited beginning hobbyist's decision like you've owned everything and the God damn Slash is the only POS anybody should ever drive? The Hobbyzone Super Cub is a legit trainer plane. It's gonna teach him to fly and 3CH is the way to go for first flights, I guess you've never taught anyone. Who says he doesn't have a decent field to fly it at? Maybe, just maybe he actually has a source of transportation to get to a 'decent' flying field. Or perhaps he's like me, with a great field AND landing strip in his own backyard! A general rule of thumb is that stock form is the most reliable form. Just because he's not ****ing it up to do 77mph doesn't mean it's a POS, but maybe you are.

The LHS is one of the best places to learn. I started there, spent over $700 in a year for parts, and I qualified for a free gift card. There are at least some employees and usually the owner that have an incredible knowledge in RC and freely offer they're advice and knowledge. I learned a lot, then I came to the forums and learned even more. Sometimes it's easier to remember things talking to someone in person. Maybe that's why you forgot your manners, your ***** mom probably texted you everything you know.

BTW, a Slash is just as much a POS as a Stampede. Trust me, I know. Both of them are entry level RCs, in fact, a lot of fag... I mean Traxxas' stuff is entry level. Entry level hobbyists find entry level RCs easier to drive and are less likely to scare them out of the hobby. I thought you would've put that together.

People joining RCU don't need POS ******s like you hurting their self esteem. By hurting them, you're hurting the site. Get your act together and be supportive, act your age and use the little politeness you have. Maybe it'll take you somewhere in life.

OGL - Groot - Don't take it to heart. You made a fantastic choice and you're going to have a lot of fun with that! Flying is a whole different thing with X, Y, and Z to keep track of. Get some training from a pilot before flying by yourself. I brought my Radian home, tossed it in the air, and it ended up 50ft in a tree. It flew for about 8 seconds. Now I can do light aerobatics with it and almost never crash anymore. Your level of skill will gradually increase as you get flight hours under your belt, so make your first solo flights simple ones. When your hands stop shaking on the sticks, you know you're ready to try something more in your flights.

Many will tell you that you made the wrong choice buying just about anything, but if you are satisfied with the enjoyment and skills you get from it, you yourself made the correct decision. I think you made the right choice, so be merry and have fun! After all, that's what this hobby is all about. You don't have to have the best to get long-lasting enjoyment! Keep it up man and happy flying!
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
lol another epic poor choice. You should have bought the 3ch Champ for $89 and then you could have learned to fly in your front yard. The 3ch Super Cub is a POS! And you need a pretty decent field to fly it. Not sure if the red cubs are brushless yet or even 4ch. If your into modding then when you get a little better you can rig up brushless setup with ailerons and make it 4ch. I flew it once in stock form before I turned it into a "super" cub. Let me guess you went to Hobbytown USA and talked to one of the sales reps lol. Now this is a supercub. Honestly I love the Super Cub but hate it in stock form.

Stampeded would have been an aweful choice too. Your better off buying a used Slash on CL than a new Stampede. trust me I know! I havent tried the 4x4 Stampeded but you should really consider a 4x4 and brushless used truck in good condition over a new entry level class truck.

Last edited by DieHarder; 03-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 PM
collector1231

Don't leave us, Groot!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thinking of running on grass and rolling hills in mid west with a 1/10 scale trck or buggy jeez it will slow down through thick grass possibly burn up motor or cook the batteries yes backyard
bashing fun but move up to 1/8 scale easier to build, parts are stronger bigger you should look at ofna mugen , losi, xray, kyosho , team associated , hot bodies , buggies or trucks electric or nitro these will hold up better than the 1/10 scale stuff ,you might spend a little more $$$but the bang for you bucks will be worth it , seems like most of the racing tracks on the planet running 1/8 scale hope i helped
Old 03-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Fidy$Trainer

LOL YOU DIP SH@# NEED TO CHILL OUT. IF YOU DON'T WANT OPINION THEN DON'T POST!!!!! I'm only trying to help OUT. I'm not bashing gees. You old farts are entirely way to serious. I'm trying to help people from making the same mistake that so many other people have done. It's a decent plane but it's not a great trainer. It's actually pretty hard to fly because it's slightly underpowered. I also don't believe in learning on 3ch plane. Last time I checked I'm entitled to an opinion. . just because it's underpowered and and 3 channel POS doesn't make it a great plane. It's harder to fly than a lot of other planes you can buy for the same or less. To the OP. I went down the same road your imbarking on now it's 5 years later and let me spare you. If your on a budget and dont know if your going to get into the hobby or not. If you want a cheap RC truck or airplane look on Craigs List and save your money. In many cases you will wind up buying other peoples problems but that's what really gets you hooked into the hobby and it's the quickest way to learn.

Having had my Super Cub for 5 years now it's still in my hanger so it's not that bad but I will stick to my guns and say it's not a great trainer no matter what any other AHOLE says!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:17 PM
DieHarder

I second this! You did nothing wrong and nobody should have to take that from anybody! I back you up all the way man!
Originally Posted by collector1231
Don't leave us, Groot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.