Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Arrma typhon, anyone have experience with these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:57 AM
Ballinonabudget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrma typhon, anyone have experience with these?

I've got a 1/10 scale truck but have been attracted to this buggy and wanted to know if anyone has had/have one of these 1/8 scale typhons? I like my truck but want to upgrade some time this spring/summer. Any information on this buggy would be great. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Ballinonabudget

Now I'm undecided on what direction to go. I want 1/8th scale. Leaning toward a buggy, but truggy or SC truck may suit my needs. I will be mostly bashing on a backyard track or walking trails at a nearby state park. I'm wanting 1/8 scale for a more durable platform, be able to withstand jumping and bashing better. I like the looks of the typhon. I've been watching tons of videos and it's made me undecided on what I want to do.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM
The Saylors

if you want to bash a truggy or a sct will likely be better for you. I can personally attest to the strength of some of the buggies out there (though not the typhoon, haven't seen that one, but i did do some preliminary research on it and it seems solid) but a truggy or an sct will provide a little extra protection to the internals and shocks via the body style especially if you ever run on the street or concrete of any kind. A sct will also have a little extra ground clearance which is important if there are any loose rocks in the state that you plan to play in. If you ever plan to go to a track though then a buggy will be your best friend!! It's more a matter of you future interests which i know is impossible to nail down.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM
The Saylors

Welcome to the forum btw
Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Ballinonabudget

Thanks the saylors, I'm actually in the middle, well more like start, of building a backyard track. I don't really run on the streets/concrete due to living of a state highway. Right now I just run around the yard. Once my track is up and running I will be primarily running on that. Occasionally I go up to the park and drive around on the hiking trails. No real concern for loose rocks though. I've read reviews on the typhon and watched tons of videos of them, but while searching for those videos I've watched some of the kraton and the outcast. I love the way they handle jumps, but I'm just not a huge fan of the truggy look. The outcast looks better (in my personal opinion) but I've already got a truck so I was wanting something different. I may end up just going with a truggy and just doing a custom paint scheme
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM
The Saylors

Its funny you mention the look of the truggies as i think they look like a bloated mess as well lol. If a track is in your future then a buggy is king for sure, until you get it up and running just make sure you keep your grass as short as you can, it will build a ton of heat doing grass runs in anything lower than a monster truck (it's the equivalent of a normal car running down a thick field of saplings for 30 minutes) Either way get an IR thermometer if you don't already have one to make sure you're not over heating. As for how they fly there is two big factors that you should keep in mind when watching vids, 1 is driver skill, throttle balance when in the air is key to staying level. 2 how the car is set up, is the weight of the battery what the factory intended it to have or did the driver stick a shorter lighter pack with a similar rating but less weight? I have heard people saying good things about the kraton so keep that as an option for sure. My personal favorite is the team associated 8.2e buggy (that's what i prefer for the track all day) so try to keep an open mind, don't buy on beauty, it will be gone the moment you scratch it all up and all the stickers fall off lol.

P.S. just noticed your name, pretty clever lol
Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Ballinonabudget

Oh yes, I'm not rushing. I won't be purchasing until spring or early summer. I want to have my track built before getting something else. I'm not deciding on beauty, but I don't want the ******* child from a monster truck and buggy lol! And if I ever want to be competitive and race I think a buggy will be my best bet. I would consider a SCT but I haven't seen any in the 1/8th scale platform. The name just came to me, since I'm married so I'm always on a budget haha
Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
The Saylors

Ya i think its kinda odd that there isn't really anyone making sct in 1/8th. I think it comes down to a lack of classes available at most tracks as that seems to be the bread and butter of most companies. If that's the case then a buggy will thrill you. Its amazing how much torment most of the buggies can take. Another thing that will seem crazy to you is the weight of them, they range from 8lbs to 11lbs, its like holding a couple of bricks lol. Starts to make sense why so many people get hurt when they get run over by them. Definitely not for kids!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Ballinonabudget

Yea when I seen the weight of them I was surprised they where so "heavy" and I would not want to take one to the shin for sure! I've got a blackout xte right now, it's really not heavy but I wouldn't want it smacking into me, let alone a 7-11 LBS beast running 45-60 MPH. I may eventually end up getting a SCT to add to the collection, but that buggy is first on my list haha. It might be because when I was about 5 years old my dad bought a buggy kit and I "helped" him put it together and he even let me run it a few times so it just brings back memories. I couldn't tell you what brand it was or anything but I can still see that car plan as day. It even had a little driver sitting inside.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:20 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Its funny you mention the look of the truggies as i think they look like a bloated mess as well lol. If a track is in your future then a buggy is king for sure, until you get it up and running just make sure you keep your grass as short as you can, it will build a ton of heat doing grass runs in anything lower than a monster truck (it's the equivalent of a normal car running down a thick field of saplings for 30 minutes)...
Sounds like an episode of truTV World's Dumbest.

If I had to choose only one RC to keep...it would definitely be a 1/8 scale buggy. A truggy, even though they are somewhat bigger in width and length, IMO needs a ton more space to be at their full potential.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Ballinonabudget

I was scrolling around on this site, and I went to the for sale part and searched buggy and came across a new in box kit that my dad had. It was a Futaba FX10.