Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lipo charger help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Rebeldude
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo charger help

I am looking at getting some lipo batteries for my RC10 T3. Right now I have a Triton 2 that I use with a PC power supply that I converted. I noticed I can get this charger for 69.99 at Amain - ProTek RC "Prodigy Touch 680 AC" LiPo/LiFe/NiMH AC/DC Battery Charger (6S/8A/80W) or I need to buy the Great Planes Electrifly Equinox Lipo Cell Balancer for 34.99 to use with my Triton 2. What do you guys think? Worth the extra just to get the new charger? I am running 2 RC 10T3s. Planning to possibly get a 1/8 scale electric buggy at some point but that would be it. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the Triton 2 you have, or is it an older one? http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3156.html
That charger is able to charge Lipos and balance them. If yours is an older model that doesn't specifically say it is for charging Lipos, then ABSOLUTELY you need to buy that ProTek charger!! Charging Lipos on a NON-lipo charger is the surest way to have a lipo fire. Lipos are charged in a completely different way than NiMhs and using a NiMh charger on a Lipo is BAD NEWS. DON'T DO IT.

Now if you're planning to get an 8th scale buggy, you'll probably be running two 2S packs, so you'll need to charge two batteries for each run. If your Triton 2 is the version that can safely charge Lipos, then buy that Protek, and you'll have two chargers to use. If your Triton IS NOT Lipo-capable, I would consider selling it, and buying TWO of those ProTek chargers so you can charge both packs for the buggy at the same time. Yes, they have dual-port chargers, but the AC powered ones like the Onyx 245 usually have less than 5 Amps of charge capability per port (the 245 is 4 Amps per) and they cost $120 minimum. The dual ports that can charge at higher rates require a DC power supply and are more in the $200 range. That's why I suggest just buying two $60 chargers.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Rebeldude

Here is a link to the one I have: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm3153-manual.pdf It is the older Triton 2 but says it does Lipo just have to add the balancer. Guess I could always buy the balancer or 2nd charger when I get the 1/8 buggy... Thanks for your response.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
collector1231

Just get a new charger. Those external balancers aren't the most stable things in the world.

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing that concerns me about the charger you have, is that it says it can handle "1-5 cell lithium-polymer batteries wired in series". (emphasis mine)
Most 2S lipos are "1S2P", meaning the lipos cells are wired one in series, two in parallel. The fact that your manual specifies "wired in series" makes me nervous. The Triton 2 EQ that I linked is an updated model, comes with a balance board, and although I didn't read its manual, I have to assume it is more modern and up to date than the one you have. If I was you, I'd just buy another charger. No reason to take the chance of burning your house down.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Rebeldude

Thanks for all your feedback. Trying to get back into the hobby. All my old Nimh batteries are toast of course. Want to switch to Lipo and starting running again. Looks like a new charger is the safe bet. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2015, 02:04 AM
08hondacivicsi

Make sure you do all the research on lipos. Ive seen peoples house to burn down. Dont let a lipo to get below 3.0 of each cell. The most that cuts off is 3.2. Also if you dont plan on running the lipos for a couple of weeks make sure you charge them in storage mode. Or between 3.79-3.81.