Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Trying to find the perfect off road vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Luexor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find the perfect off road vehicle

These are my requirements
°fully waterproof
°brushless
°monster truck or truggy
°electric
°preferably under or around $300
°must be able to take a beating without breaking
°I would like lipo but nimh is ok
°no smaller than 1/10
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, welcome to the boards. Is this your first RC? $300 is a little tight if you don't have stuff like batteries, a charger and tools already.
Check out this link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...ead-first.html

First off, you should realize, there is no such thing as "water proof". Electricity + water = bad stuff Period. Water resistant is the best you can hope for. It's so you can accidentally hit a puddle and splash a little water on, and stuff won't die. (They STILL have waterproof receiver boxes to protect the receiver, the most susceptible component to water damage) Yeah, there are videos of guys trawling thru mud and water with their scale rigs, but they've done stuff to protect the electronics and batteries. Just stay away from water.

Secondly, there are precious few RCs out of the box (with the possible exception of 8th scale stuff) that can take a beating without breaking. Bumpers on most RTRs are cosmetic and offer little actual vehicle protection. You need an aftermarket bumper set from RPM or T-Bone Racing. Something that sticks out beyond the tires, unlike what they usually come with.

You specify Monster Truck or Truggy. That assumes 4wd. I don't think you're going to find one of those under $300. An HPI Savage is in the $500 range. You might want to look at the 2wd offerings, like the HPI Blitz or Traxxas Slash short course trucks.

If you really want 4wd (and they are easier to drive than 2wd) ya might want to look at the Ofna/HoBao Hyper 10TT. This one is a "roller", assembled minus electronics. About $180 last I looked. Then get a FlySky GT2 radio and receiver for $20, and a Castle Sidewinder3 motor system for $120. (Don't forget a T-Bone Racing bumper set for $30) I have this setup, and it's pretty tough and fast as hell.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:49 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX03022
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX03009

Old 07-13-2015, 03:54 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Arrma Granite or possibly a Traxxas Stampede.
Like I always tell someone...do a little homework and watch/read some reviews of anything you are looking at.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
ColeB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luexor
These are my requirements
°fully waterproof
°brushless
°monster truck or truggy
°electric
°preferably under or around $300
°must be able to take a beating without breaking
°I would like lipo but nimh is ok
°no smaller than 1/10
Hey Luexor, I had similar requirements as you and spent about 2 weeks trying to figure out what I wanted. Finally, I settled on an Arrma Kraton. I originally didn't want to spend over $300 but there really are not many 1/10 scale truggies out there for under $300. I think the Kraton is one helluva bang for your buck especially if you can find one for cheap like I did on eBay. If your budget is hard set at $300 take a look at the Losi mini 8ight t. It is 1/14 scale but a very zippy and quite large rc for its scale. Your best bet is just to go do some research, check out bigsquidrc.com for some very helpful in depth reviews.