Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Would I be crazy to put a 1/8th motor into a.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 PM
olaugh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I be crazy to put a 1/8th motor into a.....

Would I be crazy to put a 1/8[SUP]th[/SUP] Castle 1512-2650Kv motor into a Pro-MT?

Bigsquid used a 1/10[SUP]th[/SUP] 3800Kv on 2S and 3S w/20T pinion. On the 2S it yielded 28,120 rpm and clocked 42 mph. RC Overload used a 1/10[SUP]th[/SUP] 2400Kv and 3S w/21T yielding 26,640 rpm.

If I went 2650Kv on 3S that would yield 29,415 rpm, which would be just slightly higher than both examples above. But it is a bigger motor (rated to 4S) and geared with similar speed it would be a torque monster but run cooler and longer right? Proline transmission is rated for 3S, but I am not sure that factors in a 1/8[SUP]th[/SUP] sized motor into the equation and I am not sure if a 40mm diameter motor will even fit the kit. The torque might strip the spur all too easily and it’s more weight, 13oz compared to 2400Kv at 10.6oz and the 3800Kv at 8oz. I don’t know if that back weight is going to keep the front end up way too much.

Reason I like it is that I want to combo with the ESC to save money (I don’t want to buy used), the 1/10[SUP]th[/SUP] ESC ’s aren’t waterproof with the 3800 or 2200Kv motors (I don’t want to waterproof myself), and the mamba monster 2 or X will be a better fit with my Savox 1270TG which also wont work with 1/10[SUP]th[/SUP] waterproofed sidewinders. And I’d like to stick with castle.

Am I crazy? Stick with a 1/10[SUP]th[/SUP] motor and SCT ESC?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:32 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right that the BECs in the Sidewinder ESCs won't be up to the task of supplying that Savox power-sucker with the juice it demands. (It's why I don't use Savox, and my LHS won't stock 'em.) You need a speed control with an adjustable BEC so you can crank it up. I'd still recommend a glitch buster cap too.

Why would you want a motor that big on a 2wd rear motor truck? The front wheels would never touch the ground! (Unless you added nose weight) 40mph on big fat tires like that on the MT is going to be a handful, and yeah, that big-***** motor will probably do a number on 48-pitch gears. IMO, that setup would be completely mental, and not in a good way. But then, some guys LIKE "completely mental".

Also, realize that "waterproof" really isn't. You may have components that can take a splash, but that's about it. Electricity + Water = Bad Stuff. Yeah there are videos of guys slogging thru mud and water with their scale rigs, but they've done extra stuff to protect their electronics and batteries, and those rigs require extensive cleaning and maintenance after such exploits.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 07-16-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

If the Pro MT shares transmission design with the Traxxas models, you can buy a Jato (or Tmaxx gear, I forget which) in 32 pitch and it fits and runs well. Most drag racers use that. But yeah; it'd be TOTALLY mental, probably even too much for me unless its on rails.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:02 PM
DieHarder

It's doable tho...