Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is a mini worth spending the money on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM
KC Air

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a mini worth spending the money on?

I am an obsessed RC pilot, very much interested in off-road RC racing. I know I need to get experience before I go to the tracks, but I am a quick study and get bored easily. I made a mistake of buying less plane than I should have to start out, and spent way more time flying that boring plane than I should have. I should have held out for a better plane to start, and it would have been cheaper overall. I want to avoid the same situation with the buggy. I see a really cool buggy on HH site, a 1/14the Losi Mini 8IGHT. It says the wheels are only 2", and does not say what the overall size is. I am concerned that I will want a bigger one sooner than later.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/1-14-min...ack-losb0224t1

Perhaps I should step up to a 1/10 size?

I want an off-road style, prefer buggy to truck, and need electric because the local track has an indoor off-road track and an electric-only rule.
Strongly prefer RTR because I am impatient like that, and also do not have a transmitter

I dont have an unlimited budget, but will hold out until I have the money to do the right thing the first time.
Are used vehicles usually used up and in need of lots of repair?
At first glance, this looks cheaper than flying... but it looks like cars dont hold up as well as planes, no doubt because planes aren't bashing stuff left and right.

Any help / insight is appreciated.

Last edited by KC Air; 07-27-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
KC Air

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...-p-tra240541t4

This is inexpensive.. is it possible to upgrade enough of the components over time make this high-performance piece?
Is there a better choice for buying a base model and upgrading components?
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM
KC Air

This one is cool.. and not cheap.. Please let me know what you think of it

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...ger-p-los03005
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I got you. I suggest a 2WD 1/10 buggy, as that class is typically large at most tracks, and if it isn't, they normally combine them with stadium trucks. I highly suggest you visit the track on a race day and see what the most popular classes are there and report back to us.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:30 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by collector1231
Yeah, I got you. I suggest a 2WD 1/10 buggy, as that class is typically large at most tracks, and if it isn't, they normally combine them with stadium trucks. I highly suggest you visit the track on a race day and see what the most popular classes are there and report back to us.
Thank you for posting.

I am going there tonight.. it is a practice night there, but that may be a better time to seek advice, people wont be in as much of a hurry hopefully
Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM
KC Air

I went there.. they only race 1/10 and 1/8. The guy there said in order to get into a quality buggy I would end up spending a grand or more. He said the inexpensive ones are not worth it, but instead to get a Traxxas Slash sct rtr that is about $260. It just so happens he has them on the shelf. He said that all the newbs there run these trucks, and they have a stock class for them. Any mods, and I would have to move to the Open class with all the pros. I am not sure I want a 2 WD truck nearly as much as I want a 4 wd buggy. I dont know how much truth there is to what he said since he had something different to sell. The place was huge.. several tracks, huge parts selection.. everything covered in dirt. It smelled like airborne dirt. You can practice there from 4 pm til 10 pm for $5. Huge pit area with nice tables, electricity, and lights. You can bring your stuff there and work on it all you want as long as you clean up after. When I was there, nobody was running. I would have had the track to myself to practice until I ran out of battery.

Last edited by KC Air; 07-27-2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM
KC Air

Too fragile?

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...bandit-vxl-tsm
Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM
KC Air

What's wrong with this one? (they are the same buggy, one is just a video, the other is TH page)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AEfWEnp_GMs

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXECKU**&P=ML

Last edited by KC Air; 07-27-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-27-2015, 06:02 PM
collector1231

That Slash is perfect then! I started off racing a Slash in our spec/stock Slash class and I'm planning to race it again this weekend! Go for it, except $260 for a Slash is STEEP! I suggest ordering one online, as it will save you nearly $50.

Slash; http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Slas...p/tra58024.htm
Old 07-27-2015, 06:05 PM
KC Air

or this one?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LWG103**&P=7
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM
KC Air

That Slash is perfect then! I started off racing a Slash in our spec/stock Slash class and I'm planning to race it again this weekend! Go for it, except $260 for a Slash is STEEP! I suggest ordering one online, as it will save you nearly $50.

Slash; http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Slas...p/tra58024.htm
awesome, thank you! The guy there told me there is no problem getting oem parts or aftermarket hop ups for it also
Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 PM
collector1231

Yeah, there isn't. Atomik makes a ton of upgrades for it, along with RPM. I suggest whats below to start if you have the extra $. If not, stock should be fine for a while.

RPM rear hub carrier; http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/re...tler-stampede/
Atomik RC bellcrank; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...slash-2wd-blue
RPM rear arms; http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/re...-a-arms-black/
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM
KC Air

I think I can manage those
But I will wait until I run a few races with the other newbs before I jump into the bigs
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM
KC Air

There is a 4wd version of that truck for $550.. I dont know if they have a class for those

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P=SM#accneeded
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM
collector1231

I would think they do, but it is not a good place to start. You'd be obliterated and discouraged, as those guys run 4S packs and insane trucks. A Slash 4x4 could never keep up.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
KC Air

this.is.killer.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...ogy-p-los04000
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM
collector1231

They sure are. But loud and nitro too. And expensive. Lol
Old 07-27-2015, 07:28 PM
KC Air

actually that one is gasoline powered..
But I think the Slash 2 wd is a good start.. I can run it around the yard, race it, and have money to fix it. I think the $260 price at the track included a battery. I dont mind paying a few extra bucks to support local business, if the battery is incl I will buy it there. Thanks Collector, I appreciate your help
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM
skippy7399

You've obviously done some research into what you want and have some good ideas. Here's something to consider, as you go up in scale, so does the price of admission. So 1/10 scale might not be the worst place to consider starting. Also 4wd buggy is a fast and usually very experienced class. Not typically for new comers.

I agree with collector1231 but more than visit the track to see what classes are raced so what vehicles are run there and more importantly what vehicles your local hobby shop carries parts for. I can tell as a hobby shop employee it sucks to see people spend their hard earned money on a car only to break a part and have to wait weeks (I've seen it) for replacements. With that I can tell you avoid Arrma. I will also agree while you may not like the short course truck, the Slash changed the racing game for ever and is by far the simplest truck to own and work on. And once you get used to driving a truck that likes to lean in the corners is can be competitive and more importantly, fun.

Racing them is also easier since it has a full coverage body. Meaning you can rub tire to tire with the guy next you in the corners or down the straight with out the ill consequences of open wheel racing such as with a buggy.

And no $260 for brand new 2wd Slash is not steep, it's retail. Buying online is not the answer either. Anyone out there wonder why hobby shops are disappearing faster than glaciers?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by skippy7399
You've obviously done some research into what you want and have some good ideas. Here's something to consider, as you go up in scale, so does the price of admission. So 1/10 scale might not be the worst place to consider starting. Also 4wd buggy is a fast and usually very experienced class. Not typically for new comers.

I agree with collector1231 but more than visit the track to see what classes are raced so what vehicles are run there and more importantly what vehicles your local hobby shop carries parts for. I can tell as a hobby shop employee it sucks to see people spend their hard earned money on a car only to break a part and have to wait weeks (I've seen it) for replacements. With that I can tell you avoid Arrma. I will also agree while you may not like the short course truck, the Slash changed the racing game for ever and is by far the simplest truck to own and work on. And once you get used to driving a truck that likes to lean in the corners is can be competitive and more importantly, fun.

Racing them is also easier since it has a full coverage body. Meaning you can rub tire to tire with the guy next you in the corners or down the straight with out the ill consequences of open wheel racing such as with a buggy.

And no $260 for brand new 2wd Slash is not steep, it's retail. Buying online is not the answer either. Anyone out there wonder why hobby shops are disappearing faster than glaciers?
I mean yeah, supporting your local LHS is great and I do a LOT, don't get me wrong, but $260 for a Slash is pretty insane. My local hobby shop sells them for $230 all day.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Oldginger

The price is ok.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 AM
skippy7399

Depends on the model. Traxxas doesn't allow us to sell a Slash with replica body for less than map pricing, $259.99. Raptor model is $269.99. Have to pay for Ford licensing.

Prographics with out battery and charger can be had for as little as $209.99. This model is very popular with our racers. It allows you to purchase a lipo battery and better battery charger right away. Plus you can pick up a body and paint it to your liking. Nothing distinguishes your truck on the track like your own paint scheme.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by KC Air
I went there.. they only race 1/10 and 1/8. The guy there said in order to get into a quality buggy I would end up spending a grand or more. He said the inexpensive ones are not worth it, but instead to get a Traxxas Slash sct rtr that is about $260. It just so happens he has them on the shelf. He said that all the newbs there run these trucks, and they have a stock class for them. Any mods, and I would have to move to the Open class with all the pros. I am not sure I want a 2 WD truck nearly as much as I want a 4 wd buggy. I dont know how much truth there is to what he said since he had something different to sell. The place was huge.. several tracks, huge parts selection.. everything covered in dirt. It smelled like airborne dirt. You can practice there from 4 pm til 10 pm for $5. Huge pit area with nice tables, electricity, and lights. You can bring your stuff there and work on it all you want as long as you clean up after. When I was there, nobody was running. I would have had the track to myself to practice until I ran out of battery.
So the first time you run it you will be desperately trying to figure out which of the multiple identical units is yours.

Go with the 4WD buggy. I had one years ago and loved it. You can change the tires to on-road tires and run in those races too. 4WD gives so much more traction on short, windy, indoor courses than 2WD.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 AM
KC Air

Deleted.. looked it up my own self

Last edited by KC Air; 07-28-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 AM
collector1231

Originally Posted by rgburrill
So the first time you run it you will be desperately trying to figure out which of the multiple identical units is yours.

Go with the 4WD buggy. I had one years ago and loved it. You can change the tires to on-road tires and run in those races too. 4WD gives so much more traction on short, windy, indoor courses than 2WD.
I do not suggest 4WD buggy to start. They will not let you race in a novice/newbie class, its a lot more work/upkeep, and you will be eaten alive by the guys in that class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.