Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is a mini worth spending the money on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 AM
KC Air

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything other than 100% stock means I can't race with the other newbs.. I am not sure how you tell yours from the others when racing identical stock trucks, but evidently it works out somehow. I will find out soon enough. The new season starts Aug 11. Gives me two weeks or so to break and fix it a couple of times while getting some practice. There is a nice little greenway behind our house with only 1 tree, and a two stage incline that will make it an interesting circuit. I bet my neighbors will want to jump in
Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by collector1231
I do not suggest 4WD buggy to start. They will not let you race in a novice/newbie class, its a lot more work/upkeep, and you will be eaten alive by the guys in that class.
Second vehicle maybe..

I am getting the Slash 2WD to start. The WAF was much higher on that than the buggy anyway
Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC Air
Anything other than 100% stock means I can't race with the other newbs.. I am not sure how you tell yours from the others when racing identical stock trucks, but evidently it works out somehow. I will find out soon enough. The new season starts Aug 11. Gives me two weeks or so to break and fix it a couple of times while getting some practice. There is a nice little greenway behind our house with only 1 tree, and a two stage incline that will make it an interesting circuit. I bet my neighbors will want to jump in
What I did for that when my twin showed up, I but a blue piece of painters tape on the top of the body and it worked very well. And thats good to hear. You can also upgrade the Slash with a LCG kit and brushless system later and it will be a great SC open racer.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
KC Air

Good, I was not thrilled to see it has a brushed motor. When I am tired of racing with the other newbs I will go to town upgrading anything I can on this one
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM
KC Air

What happens if you end up on your back during a race? are you out? or does someone flip you back over and you take off again
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM
collector1231

What happens if you end up on your back during a race? are you out? or does someone flip you back over and you take off again
Lol, they have marshals that are on the track and flip your car. You normally have to marshal for the race after yours, though.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 AM
KC Air

My wife just told me her ex was an RC car nut in the 80s, she said she knows all about how it takes over the garage/basement, providing another excuse for the guys to gather, drink beer, and tell lies. Now I know why she kinda rolls her eyes and walks away when the subject comes up. Lack of a firm NO is all the approval I need
Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 AM
KC Air

I am a pitch-in kinda guy, no problem if I have to marshal or something at the track to help out
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 AM
KC Air

Is racing generally aggressive? Bumping and jostling for position? or more gentlemanly
Old 07-28-2015, 08:05 AM
collector1231

Is racing generally aggressive? Bumping and jostling for position? or more gentlemanly
Yeah, you should see pics of my garage. It used to be empty. 7 years later...

But as far as racing goes, its typically gentlemanly until you get into money and professional races, or the 1/8 scale class. Then things get real. But club races and fun races or whatever are great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_20150715_001-55a6d41bf35a6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	2111474  
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM
KC Air

I see you are a woodworker too.. either that or someone hid their table saw in your shop. I have been known to butcher a board or two myself
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM
collector1231

I see you are a woodworker too.. either that or someone hid their table saw in your shop. I have been known to butcher a board or two myself
Thats mostly my dad's stuff. I am currently a shophand/learning apprentice, lol.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
KC Air

Side note about the track.. I could not believe how dirty everything was.. including the air. It smelled like serious dirt. Even the merchandise for sale is covered in dirt. There must be a ton o dirt in the air during races, and there is nothing that separates the track from the work area or the retail area. The owner and one of the guys behind the counter have benches in the work area, and they look like they havent been touched in years because everything is layered in dirt. I am not the most fastidious individual, but that place is beyond filthy. Even the walls are smeared and dirty. Race platforms look like they were built in the 70s. No need to worry about making a mess, nobody would notice

But its cheap! $5 to practice all night.. and its close to home. And its the only game in town, for now. I think someone could open a modern facility and steal all of their business

I was wondering why they dont have photos on their website... I am a pro photographer, I was going to offer to barter services. Now I know why they dont have photos! They should at least set up a winners circle and shoot event winners for publicity. It would be possible to get some good race action shots too if they wanted some.

Last edited by KC Air; 07-28-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: additional yada yada
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM
KC Air

Hey Collector.. what about transponders? How much of a hassle is it to borrow one at the track and return it after? Just a quick connect / disconnect? Or is it a pain in the butt. I see they are not cheap add-ons to buy. And what about compatibility? Is that an issue at all? I mostly just see mylap brand out there
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM
collector1231

I bet it was. Indoor tracks can be dusty if they are not taken care of well. Most all indoor tracks I've visited have highly packed red clay, I assume most of the stuff there is loose, which is good for the Slash. And oh yeah! They will most likely have house transponders, but if they don't, someone might be willing to let you borrow one of their personals. Also, check eBay if you NEED a transponder. They can be really cheap, but also make sure to get only the 2 wire models. The MRT PTX 2 wire models will also work with most, if not all, systems.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM
KC Air

The decisions are made.. I am buying the Slash RTR from the track. I am going to run in the stock class of the upcoming season until it ends, or until I have to repair something. At that point, I am going to start upgrading the slash with a brushless motor and such. I am going to then run in the open class, even if it means I get smoked on a regular basis. Running in that class will sharpen my skills or convince me to leave the racing to others and just have fun outdoors. At Christmas bonus time, I am going to get myself a 4 wd buggy of some kind, and rip around outdoors until I can drive it well. Maybe I will race it at the track, maybe not. Dont care. Gonna have a blast doing whatever I want.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 PM
KC Air

Thank you Collector, I truly appreciate your input. Thank you to the others that posted as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
KC Air

Hahaha I have been watching races on youtube.. there is nothing smooth or orderly about it! Its a free for all with cars getting knocked everywhere by each other. The marshals are not exactly gentle with the cars when they toss them back on the track. They are much more durable than i imagined. I cant wait to try it
Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM
collector1231

Hahaha I have been watching races on youtube.. there is nothing smooth or orderly about it! Its a free for all with cars getting knocked everywhere by each other. The marshals are not exactly gentle with the cars when they toss them back on the track. They are much more durable than i imagined. I cant wait to try it
Good to hear, yo! Make sure you report back and tell us how it goes!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:41 PM
skippy7399

Traxxas rep called today. Price drop on Slash so now they are $230. Just in case you were interested.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by skippy7399
Traxxas rep called today. Price drop on Slash so now they are $230. Just in case you were interested.
Very much so! Thanks Skippy
Old 07-29-2015, 05:49 AM
KC Air

Good to hear, yo! Make sure you report back and tell us how it goes!
I certainly will. I was checking out the greenway behind our house.. it is going to make a killer practice course. 2 natural jumps, a long straightaway and a double humped incline. I hope at least one of the neighbors joins in so I have someone to share the blame with in terms of worn paths in the grass
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 AM
collector1231

I certainly will. I was checking out the greenway behind our house.. it is going to make a killer practice course. 2 natural jumps, a long straightaway and a double humped incline. I hope at least one of the neighbors joins in so I have someone to share the blame with in terms of worn paths in the grass
That'll be fun! Just make sure the grass is somewhat low. If it isn't you will kill motors and overheat fast.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM
KC Air

That'll be fun! Just make sure the grass is somewhat low. If it isn't you will kill motors and overheat fast.
Good to know, thank you. It makes sense. Maybe an extra pass around the "track" with the mower lowered is in order
Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM
collector1231

Yeah, except I'd set the deck pretty low if you don't look at it often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.