Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Oops I did it again.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Neil2704

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops I did it again.

Well yesterday I went to the hobby shop specifically for a motor and shocks for my adx-10 and left with piggy back shocks, bigger tires, and new rims, and a stronger steering servo for my r1 instead. Well today i went back for a brushless system for my adx-10, and i left with.... well.... yeah...I got a brushless alright.

I eyed it up a few times at the hobby shop and I was like wow that sure is pretty. That would look good going over jumps. But it was very expensive and i shrugged it off. Also I know nothing about lipo batteries and the risks/conditions for using them so I just talked myself out of it. Well today i couldn't decide what brushless to get my adx-10 and started window shopping. Before i knew it i had a new rc8.2e race spec, a new lipo charger I have no idea how to use, and a very expensive 5000mah 4s lipo for it. Best of all, I left the hobby shop again with no motor for my adx-10!!!

What's that white bag for? For storing your batteries I'm assuming?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	2113084   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	501.2 KB
ID:	2113085   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	2113086   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	2113087   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	2113088   Click image for larger version

Name:	image10.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	2113089  
Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Nice score! And the white bag is for charging your LiPOs in in case they catch fire or something, it will contain it to the bag.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:35 AM
Neil2704

Oh I see. I really should do some research on lipos And figure out what not to do. I faked my way through charging it yesterday
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 AM
DieHarder

Make sure you read the manual that comes with the charger. Nice score! That's one the buggies I really want to get, might be my next purchase...
Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neil, yer crackin' me up. LOL. How're you explaining this to your wife?
You definitely got a rockin' setup. DO look into proper Lipo care. Aw hell, here it is: Read the charger instructions to set it up properly. (Set for Lipo and number of cells in your pack, time limit, charge rate) Use Balance Charge most of the time, it will keep your cells evenly charged. Always use Storage Mode after you're done for the day, it will keep your packs healthy. Never let them sit fully charged, it will shorten their useful life and reduce capacity. Charge current depends on capacity: if you have a 5000mah pack, charge at 5 Amps, if you have a 6500mah pack, charge at 6.5 Amps. See how that works? As for the Lipo bag, use it if you want. It'll keep any fire contained, but don't worry about fires, those don't happen anymore, providing you're using a proper charger (not a NiMh charger) and it's working properly.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
Nice score! And the white bag is for charging your LiPOs in in case they catch fire or something, it will contain it to the bag.
Its been shown in many videos those bags are similar to snake oil, and make it so you can't see a cell that is gonna blow. Sometimes they even make the fire worst as when they ignite it acts like a flame thrower throwing fire upto 3 feet in each direction( based on a video I saw where they tested the bags), and after a minute the bags them selves usually catch on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkewCjiDs0 or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfxlq-OkYWE
Now I will say I've seen tests where the bags did contain the fire, but all of the ones I've seen the lipos were like 1500mah which the ones that failed looked more like what we mostly use in RC's around 4000mah which pack way more power which will result in a more violent flame.

Best things shown to contain, and stop a lipo fire is a metal box(ammo box, or even one of those money box's) that the lid is closed while charging(can drill holes to put in the leads), and for storage, or charge it with a cinder block with sand bag as a lid. I've seen tests of both, and in most cases the fires put out before a 2nd cell even ruptures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7An4fXARs Only thing I'd change is where he has the cables enter IMO that is too low. As you see there was smoke, but no fire though, and the box was cool enough to touch after. I've seen test of box's with no holes all they did was they warped they never exploded.

As for lipos starting on fire they will if they are charged while damaged like if the pack gets over drawn, and puffs, or gets physically damaged from use. When you charge it there is a chance for ignition in that case. Or if your charger malfunctions, and over charges it not detecting the voltage properly this is possible so I wouldn't rule it out.

OK lipo safety talk over pretty good score except that battery is a tad expensive IMO

As for requiring a BL system for your adx 10 don't feel bad I keep saying I'll get a BL motor for my SCRT10 which has been sitting here for almost 2 years without ever getting a motor in it. I keep putting off it getting a motor as stuff keeps popping up that detracts from it.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-07-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 PM
eindecker 3

Looks like the lipo bags don't work too well
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Neil2704

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Neil, yer crackin' me up. LOL. How're you explaining this to your wife?
You definitely got a rockin' setup. DO look into proper Lipo care. Aw hell, here it is: Read the charger instructions to set it up properly. (Set for Lipo and number of cells in your pack, time limit, charge rate) Use Balance Charge most of the time, it will keep your cells evenly charged. Always use Storage Mode after you're done for the day, it will keep your packs healthy. Never let them sit fully charged, it will shorten their useful life and reduce capacity. Charge current depends on capacity: if you have a 5000mah pack, charge at 5 Amps, if you have a 6500mah pack, charge at 6.5 Amps. See how that works? As for the Lipo bag, use it if you want. It'll keep any fire contained, but don't worry about fires, those don't happen anymore, providing you're using a proper charger (not a NiMh charger) and it's working properly.
I have the best girlfriend in the world who let's me pretty much get away with whatever I want as long as she gets a good back rub at the end of the night That's how I get away with it haha. Thanks for the compliments and advice guys. I am not sure how to put the pack into storage mode but I will look into tomorrow. My local hobby shop owner said only balance charge. Ever. Being that the battery was 110 bucks Canadian dollar, I think i will follow his advice. Maybe on payday I will get one or two more but their pricey! I have only had a chance to run the buggy about 2 minutes before work this morning in the parking lot but wow!! I couldn't give it more than half throttle and keep it in a straight line. It's heavily overpowered and it will take me some time to get used to it. I feel more confident with this buggy than my brushless evader though because its four wheel drive and doesn't spin out quite as easily.

Funny story, when I popped in to the hobby shop today i saw the guy that bought my old evader there, and he's owned it for about 2 days and he ran it into a car and exploded the front end. I said oh hey, I just traded that evader in a week or two ago! He said why did you trade it in, it's like new? Then I pointed to the front end of his smashed evader and said I didn't want that to happen lol.
I am going to try to make it to the bmx track tomorrow to try out the buggy
Old 08-07-2015, 10:17 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice buy, you'll love it. I love mine. I'm actually on my second one, I had one before but couldn't pass up a trade offer for a Baja 5b. Then I missed it so much I had to buy another one.

If you want to save yourself some trouble later and some money replacing missing hardware, go over it and loctite all the screws that screw into metal. They don't do it from the factory and it really needs it or it'll start falling apart. If you look over the manual it shows you which parts need loctite. Also add some 5000wt diff oil to all three diffs, they only put a tiny bit of oil in them to reduce the chance of it leaking in the box.

Last edited by robwiljas; 08-07-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
Old 08-08-2015, 05:38 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You might save a few bucks shopping around for extra batteries. Of course there is hobbyking as well as spcracingbatteries.com and hobbypartz,com
Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Neil2704

Originally Posted by robwiljas
Nice buy, you'll love it. I love mine. I'm actually on my second one, I had one before but couldn't pass up a trade offer for a Baja 5b. Then I missed it so much I had to buy another one.

If you want to save yourself some trouble later and some money replacing missing hardware, go over it and loctite all the screws that screw into metal. They don't do it from the factory and it really needs it or it'll start falling apart. If you look over the manual it shows you which parts need loctite. Also add some 5000wt diff oil to all three diffs, they only put a tiny bit of oil in them to reduce the chance of it leaking in the box.
Thanks I'll do that. My R1 was the same way. I couldn't put a battery through it without screws falling out or a link falling off so I did a total tear down on it and loctited everything. As for batteries dieharder put me on the path of these guys

SPC - http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=81

They are fantastically priced. Granted after converting to canadian dollar they are like 40% more lol. They are still good priced.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a couple SPC lipos, and love them! And HALF the price of the one you bought. But just the Canadian conversion adds 40%? EESH!

ANd if the back rubs don't work, foot rubs will.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Neil2704

yup and shipping here will be 120 bucks. So I need to buy a bulk amount to make it worth it. So I'll save up and buy six or something.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:55 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe a couple 2s Batts for your other rcs. Possibly there is a battery seller based in Canada that does not crush you on shipping?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Neil2704

The dealers in canada have way higher prices, because of the shipping. Basically Canadians get raped across the border on shipping and duty, and that's why any American product here is 40+ percent higher cost here. So yes i could order here in Canada, but the price increase over weighs the shipping from the states. Anyway, yesterday was a gong show. I did manage to get my buggy out for about 35 seconds before it spun a tire off. I don't have any tire glue, so that was game over.

The sheer power this thing has is mind boggling. I love it, for the total 2 and a half minutes of run time I have on it so far.lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	639.8 KB
ID:	2113544  
Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
collector1231

Woah, that has some INSANE POWER! And about the Canadian shipping crap, they do have forwarding services, but I have no idea if they will ship LiPOs across borders.

But I do know for sure, Atomik does sell LiPOs to Canadians and also ships to Canada. I am also pretty sure they only add about $10 to your order compared to an American order.

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Neil2704

Yes! It has power to spare for days with that 4 cell in there. I am probably going to run a nickel 5000 mah pack to get used to it now. Even at half throttle it was doing donuts on asphalt uncontrollably lol. This is by far the fastest rc I have ever had. So I might step up its battery power in steps until I get used to it. I figure it should be a lot more tame on a nickel 7.2. As for the batteries, if that pans out to be cheaper at atomik then heck yes, I'll order a couple on pay day thanks. I'll follow that link right now.

edit- It still doesn't work. After converting to canadian at check out on the link you sent me, it's $30 shipping and $120 a battery. So $150 a battery to get from online, or $120 at my local hobby shop. Canada just gets raped and I think that's about all there is to it.

Last edited by Neil2704; 08-09-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:07 PM
collector1231

Ah, darn. Oh well. And don't run nickel packs on that buggy, lol.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Neil2704

Why not? Will something bad happen, or will it just be disappointing? This is my first ever LIPO battery and I am still familiarizing myself with the in's and out's, and do's and dont's
Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 PM
collector1231

Yeah, it will overheat and then catch fire/explode.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Neil2704

o.O I can't tell if your serious or not. But okay, Lipo it is!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil2704
o.O I can't tell if your serious or not. But okay, Lipo it is!
he really wasn't joking (well a bit)
I've seen NiMh packs melt the shrink wrap off them they got so hot(and this was on a brushed vehicle)
Also with NiMh you have a chance to damage the ESC.

I've never seen a NiMh pack explode... BUT I have had a NiMh AAA battery explode on my desk before. Scared the crap outta me, and blew the flashlight it was in to pieces. After seeing that sucker explode(it was only a few hundred mah) a 5000mah battery exploding kinda frightens me

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 PM
collector1231

I am 100% serious. Drawing too much current is bad.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Neil2704

Noted, thanks for stepping in before I picked myself a whole bouquet of oopsie daisies
Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah these high power brushless systems don't like NiMh packs. As collector and syco_venom said they can't supply enough current. It can damage the ESC and overheat the battery pack. When an NiMh explodes it goes off like a shotgun shell, it's not pretty lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.