Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

**Mid-Engine Rusty**

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM
ttt408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Mid-Engine Rusty**

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a MID-ENGINE rustler vxl, In order to do so, many people flip the transmission around in order to place the motor in front of the rear wheels. The problem is, the stock transmission has a built-in anti squat of 1.5 degrees. Flipping the transmission around will give you 1.5 degrees of PRO SQUAT. A solution people have figured out is to purchase the aluminum FLM transmission, since the squat is adjustable. THE PROBLEM WITH THIS, is that it seems counter intuitive, because you are just adding more weight to the back by switching out the plastic with aluminum. After searching through forums, I have noticed no one has ever tried to use the "rpm hybrid transmission". It is light, and it has detachable rear mounts.

MY QUESTION IS:

1. Has anyone tried this?
2. Would I be able to use this? ( I would like to keep the anti squat on my rustler even after flipping the transmisison around)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM_traxxas_gearbox_housing_motor_plate_2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2115514  
Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you found the solution! I don't see why that wouldn't work. Hell, that might make quite the track fighter. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:44 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen a lot of mid motor Bandits, and Rustlers, but none with that RPM..

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-20-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just cut the arm mounts off the stock case and flip it around. You can then use the RPM Arm mounts and bolt them to the stock chassis in the correct orientation. No point in wasting the cash or the RPM gearbox.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Kemo

I'd be curious to see it. It could be a heck of an improvement to Traxxas products, especially on the track.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:47 PM
ttt408

Originally Posted by john01374
Just cut the arm mounts off the stock case and flip it around. You can then use the RPM Arm mounts and bolt them to the stock chassis in the correct orientation. No point in wasting the cash or the RPM gearbox.
Good idea, too bad they dont sell the rpm arm mounts seperately. Im thinking of just cutting off the stock mounts and reattaching them in some way without losing too much rigidity.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:55 PM
ttt408

Actually never mind, they do, for $8.95. Just not sure if it will fit.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:14 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

So, this Rustler is gonna be raced on a high bite clay track? I'm just trying to understand the need for the mid motor Rusty.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:37 AM
ttt408

Originally Posted by RustyUs
So, this Rustler is gonna be raced on a high bite clay track? I'm just trying to understand the need for the mid motor Rusty.
Just racing friends in backyard. Just wanted more weight balance in the vehicle and trying something new. Thats all