Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Yeti issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:33 AM
DMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeti issues

I bought the 1/10 scale Yeti about 3 weeks ago and was super pumped to get it home and try it out.. On the second run with it, I bent the drivers side rear drive shaft just from running on dirt roads, no jumping or bashing at all as I was still trying to get used to it.. So I did some reading and upgraded the whole suspension and the beefed up the rear axle housing with everything from Vanquish.. Wheels too.. Came out looking amazing, I was really pleased with the look.. Since the upgrades, I haven't been able to get through a battery pack with something breaking again.. The past 4 runs, Ive bent 3 more axle shafts and the Currie Antirock sway bar falls apart every time.. The stock sway bar obviously has to go back on unfortunately.. I'm extremely frustrated at this point as I cant find any better quality axle shafts and not sure what to do to fix these issues.. At this point, me and my daughter just run her Rukus and leave the yeti at home..
Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I literally had to pick up my lower jaw after reading your post. Running into all those hiccups...I feel bad for you. I went easy on the Yeti for the first couple of packs, 'cause my kit build felt a little tight in the gear department, and I wanted to ease into letting the solid axle rock racer rip through the backyard at full throttle. I don't remember reading about anyone having a gear mesh issue, but I felt better after allowing the gears to get to know one another for awhile.

There isn't too many Yeti owners here in RCU. I would check out RCCrawler for the best chance to possibly get answers. Or check out the crawler section here on RCU since the AR60 axle is used in other models. That's crazy about all those axles bending. I'm still getting used to the whole excessive body roll thing combined with the solid axle style of driving.

DMachine, is your Yeti the kit or RTR version? I don't know if Beef Tubes would help in your situation or not. I want to give you a simple answer, and I don't know of any "bad batches" of axles out there in the Axial world.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-20-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
ColeB

I want to get a yeti but I'm scared about reliability issues, this may be a more extreme case than normal, but this truck seems to have much more problems than normal.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:08 AM
DMachine

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I literally had to pick up my lower jaw after reading your post. Running into all those hiccups...I feel bad for you. I went easy on the Yeti for the first couple of packs, 'cause my kit build felt a little tight in the gear department, and I wanted to ease into letting the solid axle rock racer rip through the backyard at full throttle. I don't remember reading about anyone having a gear mesh issue, but I felt better after allowing the gears to get to know one another for awhile.

There isn't too many Yeti owners here in RCU. I would check out RCCrawler for the best chance to possibly get answers. Or check out the crawler section here on RCU since the AR60 axle is used in other models. That's crazy about all those axles bending. I'm still getting used to the whole excessive body roll thing combined with the solid axle style of driving.

DMachine, is your Yeti the kit or RTR version? I don't know if Beef Tubes would help in your situation or not. I want to give you a simple answer, and I don't know of any "bad batches" of axles out there in the Axial world.
It was the RTR version.. I walked into my local hobby shop and I was really impressed with how it was setup, especially how the suspension dead on to how most real rock racers which I have experience in.. After the first bent shaft I was disappointed but was excited to upgrade the whole suspension and tune it in like I did with my custom JK.. The rear axle housing has the upgraded Vanquish lockouts, truss, and diff cover so it should be plenty strong at this point one would think.. Just running into a road block trying the find aftermarket axle shafts, maybe made from 300m which would certainly solve the problem.. Till then I suppose I just look for a cool 4wd buggy to add to the collection and upgrade my daughter's ruckus to brushless and titanium.aluminum suspension.. Not sure where to look for that though.. :/
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM
RustyUs

Are the axles bending at the hubs?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:37 AM
DMachine

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Are the axles bending at the hubs?
The shaft itself bent twice, and the third time was the pin and a slight bend in the shaft.. Im thinking 3S is too much power.. Im going to use a 2S for a bit and see how it fairs with that battery..
Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 PM
cagedfury

I own a yeti. I run castle 8th with 1/8 scale 2200kv motor on 3s. I have not bent anything. I have just shripped out the rear main driveshaft. The shaft going from tranny to the rear diff. I have not really been jumping just playing in the rocks in my creek. Besides that driveshaft I have not had any other issues. Though i do have upgraded aluminum steering assembly and front axle carriers.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by cagedfury
I have just shripped out the rear main driveshaft. The shaft going from tranny to the rear diff.
Did you upgrade the Wildboar driveshaft or just replace with another Wildboar? This is the part I'm waiting to fail with all the heat generated on the driveshaft couplers.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:11 PM
cagedfury

Just replaced. I was told that when you upgrade the shaft, you will start stripping the rear diff. And the driveshaft is alot easier to replace. But im getting fed up. So the upgrade maybe in the near future.