Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

? Metal spur gear for rustler

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Lobster28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Metal spur gear for rustler

What is a good 50t metal
spur gear for traxxas rustler
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM
DieHarder

Metal spur gears is not the best idea. 32P nylon spurs running steel pinions is what I've found to be the quietest super strong setup. They don't make a spur gear 50T in 48P compatible with the Rustler. If you want metal gears, these are good: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHUP&P=7 But I don't recommend them. Metal gear on metal gear is a much louder than what you already have. It doesn't sound real good either. You also should probably put some lube on the mesh to prevent excessive wear and quiet it down a little.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 PM
JChapman823
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you're having issues like me and keep on stripping the spur gear. I was curious about this a while back. I went through at least a dozen before I finally got a good setup.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JChapman823
Sounds like you're having issues like me and keep on stripping the spur gear. I was curious about this a while back. I went through at least a dozen before I finally got a good setup.
It's all in the gear mesh. You can use the paper trick, putting a piece of paper between the gears, push the pinion onto the spur and tighten the motor screws. I find it easier to just go by feel but that's me. Either way you want the tiniest amount of play between the pinion and spur. If there's no play you'll melt the spur, too much and you'll be chipping teeth off it.

The he other issue with the Rustler/Bandit/Slash is the plastic grabs case. The motor screws compress the plastic case and the screw naturally want to go back to the same spot regardless of gear mesh. To remedy this simply adjust the motor so the screws are slightly off where it's compressed and tighten down the screws. Unscrew, move it slightly and retighten compressing the grand case until you have a nice arc where it's compressed so the motor screws stay put instead of going to the compressed spot.

Metal spurs are noisier, but the bigger problem is they're usually steel and wear out pinions. You need to use a steel, hardened pinion with metal Spurs and even then the pinions will still wear.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:55 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the other guys... there is no need for a metal spur.... if u keep stripping gears then you are doing something wrong.

generally if u are to inspect the gear its easy to tell what went wrong by the wear marks on the gear.
if a whole row of teeth is damaged then its clear the gearmesh was set incorrectly or came loose while driving

bit if there is a chunk missing and all the rest of the gears are ok then its a power issue...

think of it like a car crashing into a brick wall...if its got the power it will go straight through and make a small clean hole...... but if it does not have the power and its alignment is off, its just going to bounce down the side of the wall scratching every brick it touches

IMO the 2 most common vehicles for people to mess up the gear mesh, traxxas 2wd (because they are so common) and a HPI E10

my advice.... get rid of the factory screws and fit some flat head m3 screws with m3 washers and use blue locktite