Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HotBodies D8 to Brushless conversion

Old 10-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Carabidae

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HotBodies D8 to Brushless conversion

I was offered a HotBodies D8 a few days ago from a friend. I drove it once as a nitro. now everything is off, engine, servos and diff.

all cleaned up!

So where to go now?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's lots of options for converting. I'm a fan of RC-Monster.com's products (cnc 6061 mounts and Delrin trays that are cnc' out of a solid block) and they have a complete bolt on conversion kit with everything you need for the D8. There's plenty of other options though from the likes of rcproductdesigns, speed passion (not as balanced of a layout IMO), Tekno and then the cheap Chinese kits from Integy and Kershaw that are actually the same and are just rebranded.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Mg1234

The HPI trophy buggy flux is really close to being the same car just cheaper,buy that stock motor mount and any other parts you need on eBay there are tons of parts ,I've converted 3 for the kids ,
Old 10-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Carabidae

I went crazy on the buggies today.
Vorza: changed all bearing on all 4 corners, front/rear diffs
Hyper: lost a wheel hub pin in one of the runs. went on the whole car and tightened every single screw i could see.
D8: apart of the last cleaning session, i went today and attacked the Diffs. 200k in the rear / 300k in the front. the stock bevel pinion is a 10t, which im not really convinced of reusing. I will see what i can get my hands on tomorrow.
Ordered the RC Monster conversion kit, but was hesitant at first. the rc product designs kit had the ESC plate on the center Diff which i liked and see as more practical, but the price is exaggerated. received the motor, ESC, gears will arrive monday.
The TX.. i have a 3PL on the Vorza, and was thinking of getting a RX for the D8. Or, a Futaba 4PL/Sanwa MT4S and getting 2 extra RXs and using all 3 buggies in one TX. but i wont be able to race them against each others, thats a downside for me, but less radios to carry around.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A plate to mount the esc on the center diff is easy enough to make if you really want it up there. Personally I'd rather have everything down low for better center of gravity and protection. I know the rear wing will prevent the body from touching the ground but after that it's just thin, flexible lexan to keep stuff away from the esc when it's mounted on top of the center diff.

As much as it sucks you gotta have more than one radio. You're going to want to let someone drive one of your vehicles and without another radio you'll have to stop driving so they can. I started to go with only one radio but stopped short of selling off one of my cheaper radios. My prized vehicles ended up on my 3pm-mx FASST but I kept a TQi for the beaters I wouldn't mind others driving.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Carabidae

I couldnt find any gears today that would fit the D8. changed the diffs fluids and reinstalled the stock gears. will stick with these for now.
As for the TX, i thought of getting a RX for the D8 to connect on the Vorzas Futaba. and ill get a new one for the Hyper, someday.
All of the car i have, have the ESC on the chassis, i just liked the idea of the center mounting plate, a 3M double faced tape would do the trick.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Carabidae

And it arrived!

installed

The Quality isint bad at all, but for the price I thought I was the RX and servo tray. Also the screws provided, a few of them were useless, thank god I already have a new set of screws.

Now I need a RX, reusing the Blur esc of the Vorza, solder new connectors to the motor and axles for the center shafts.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Carabidae

Drove it in the dunes!!!!
The car is very fast although i changed the spur to the vorza's OE and couldnt find a 22T pinion so it has a 25t Drove it for a whole pack, it was jumping and flying! i really enjoyed it. the second pack, i lost a rear tire insert, then the velcro came off the chassis, so i stopped playing.
Went driving the Firestorm, on 2S it was fine and fun jumping here and there, on 3S, it was a sand fountain a full accel, with the Sand Throwers tires. but the spur didnt handle it. i lost it. Isint there any steel spur i could find anywhere?