Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

axial yeti xl kit build

Old 11-10-2015, 01:49 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollincoal
Ordered a strc bell crank set since the stock is so mushy.
and so it begins, replacing things little by little until its perfect, then on to the next build LOL Its a vicious cycle isn't it.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Rollincoal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol that's how it seems to go.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Rollincoal

So running the xl today i noticed that the temps on my esc started to climb as i was doing laps at my buddies track. Not hot but not as cool as my erevos.

Im thinking my pinion gear may be too big 17 teeth, or im not sure? Using a 40c set of 2s lipos, so not sure.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Rollincoal

So I finally got a trail ride in with the xl now named "honky kong" lol. What an amazing rig, only down side i can see is that i need a locker at least in the rear.

Im running black molly grease in all my trans and diffs but it's not quite enough for the terrain im running in.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happened with Castle and the burned up ESC? I notice only two days between your "burned it up" and the "installed ESC with higher C batteries" post. There's no way Castle got you a new one that quick.

So you're running two 2S packs, in parallel. Have you tried running them in series to get more voltage? With a rig that big, I think the electronics would like it better. And so would you.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Rollincoal

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
So what happened with Castle and the burned up ESC? I notice only two days between your "burned it up" and the "installed ESC with higher C batteries" post. There's no way Castle got you a new one that quick.

So you're running two 2S packs, in parallel. Have you tried running them in series to get more voltage? With a rig that big, I think the electronics would like it better. And so would you.
Actually it only took castle 18 hours to get me my replacement esc, thank you very much.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 PM
EXT2Rob

18 hours??!! That's unbelievable. What, you live down the block from them or something? It takes 'em longer than that usually just to process the paperwork! You dating the owner's daughter? What the hell?!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Rollincoal

18 hours??!! That's unbelievable. What, you live down the block from them or something? It takes 'em longer than that usually just to process the paperwork! You dating the owner's daughter? What the hell?!
No i just was able to contact the right person in there service department and he was very polite and prompt in sending me my warranty stuff (the new esc and pre paid package to return my defective one).

As far as my batteries i love prime
Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM
EXT2Rob

Wow, that's awesome! I musta gotten a guy who's wife pissed him off that day or something.....never been impressed with any contact I've ever had with Castle. Always got the impression they think their ***** doesn't stink.

So again, why are you running the batteries in parallel? Doesn't that make it feel sort of under-powered? Usually guys run two lipo packs in series for higher voltage in these rigs. Just askin'.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Rollincoal

Wow, that's awesome! I musta gotten a guy who's wife pissed him off that day or something.....never been impressed with any contact I've ever had with Castle. Always got the impression they think their ***** doesn't stink.

So again, why are you running the batteries in parallel? Doesn't that make it feel sort of under-powered? Usually guys run two lipo packs in series for higher voltage in these rigs. Just askin'.
I hate when companies behave like that, we're the reason that they have jobs. Savox is currently on my sh*t list lol.

I like my long run times ( about 70 minutes of goofing off at home and longer on the trails). Plus my 40c 2s lipos produce enough power to do a wheelie on demand so im content .
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM
EXT2Rob

Savox, huh? What happened with yours? My LHS won't even carry them because they're too pricey and too power hungry, which causes problems in a lot of RTRs who's stock servos go bad. They install a Savox, but then it starts glitching out the ESC or Receiver, and customers get upset. He said he's had Savox reps come out to ask them "Why won't you carry our products?" So LHS guy puts one in one of their cars and tries running it. The car glitches and behaves erratically. The Savox rep goes away with his tail between his legs. I guess they work ok if you have an outboard BEC, but.... I'd rather have a Hitec.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Rollincoal

Savox, huh? What happened with yours? My LHS won't even carry them because they're too pricey and too power hungry, which causes problems in a lot of RTRs who's stock servos go bad. They install a Savox, but then it starts glitching out the ESC or Receiver, and customers get upset. He said he's had Savox reps come out to ask them "Why won't you carry our products?" So LHS guy puts one in one of their cars and tries running it. The car glitches and behaves erratically. The Savox rep goes away with his tail between his legs. I guess they work ok if you have an outboard BEC, but.... I'd rather have a Hitec.
I always run an external bec (out of antiquated habit lol) but the problem is that the servo stripped after just a few runs :/

Hitec huh? I'm going to look them up. I just need a super strong servo for this xl
Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
EXT2Rob

Look at the ones meant for the big 1/8th scale stuff. You probably want something with at least 300oz/in of torque for those big tires. Probably in the $100-$120 range.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Rollincoal

Look at the ones meant for the big 1/8th scale stuff. You probably want something with at least 300oz/in of torque for those big tires. Probably in the $100-$120 range.
I feel dumb but when I checked there site i couldn't find a waterproof servo that strong.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Rollincoal

I feel dumb but when I checked there site i couldn't find a waterproof servo that strong.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:54 AM
EXT2Rob

Mmmm....Sometimes manufacturer's sites aren't the greatest for browsing around. Here, check out A-Main Hobbies site. This oughta get you started.

Also, you can make any servo water resistant (nothing is waterproof) by just spraying it with Flex-Seal or similar rubberized spray sealer. Put a little dab of waterproof grease around the base of the output shaft. Google "How to waterproof a servo", you'll get plenty of hits.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 11-20-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Rollincoal

Mmmm....Sometimes manufacturer's sites aren't the greatest for browsing around. Here, check out A-Main Hobbies site. This oughta get you started.

Also, you can make any servo water resistant (nothing is waterproof) by just spraying it with Flex-Seal or similar rubberized spray sealer. Put a little dab of waterproof grease around the base of the output shaft. Google "How to waterproof a servo", you'll get plenty of hits.
So the only one i could find with the power i want is too big to fit in the stock servo mount.

I ended up going with a*Savox SW-1210SG Waterproof Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo-savsw1210sg
Old 11-21-2015, 02:40 PM
EXT2Rob

You're probably going to need a Castle external BEC for that Savox.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Rollincoal

You're probably going to need a Castle external BEC for that Savox.

Luckily I already run a bigger bec since I learned about bown outs with my scx10 lol. Thank you though
Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Rollincoal

Well new servo is installed and working like a beast!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:25 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

My buddy just dropped a 1515 motor into his 380 and he said he had to mod the chassis a bit. Im not exactly sure how, we're supposed to kick it next week lol.
Holy cow! The 1512 motor is 68mm long and the 1515 is 75.18mm long. After I got the CC 1512 2650kv squeezed into my ride, I can see why your buddy had to "chop" away at the tray 7+mm to get the 1515 2200kv motor in there.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-28-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 AM
RustyUs

I'm curious to know what general speeds you think you're getting on the XL while using 7.4v through your CC motor? I'm not much for over the top high speed action these days. Doing 23~25 mph on my off-road track is plenty fast for me nowadays.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Rollincoal

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I'm curious to know what general speeds you think you're getting on the XL while using 7.4v through your CC motor? I'm not much for over the top high speed action these days. Doing 23~25 mph on my off-road track is plenty fast for me nowadays.
In all honesty my xl on 2s lipos only does 26 mph.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Rollincoal

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Holy cow! The 1512 motor is 68mm long and the 1515 is 75.18mm long. After I got the CC 1512 2650kv squeezed into my ride, I can see why your buddy had to "chop" away at the tray 7+mm to get the 1515 2200kv motor in there.
His 380 with a 1515 does flipping scream though lol
Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 AM
RustyUs

Correct on all accounts.

Motor and esc were both ice cold, it was litterally 5 min of slow crawling broken up by like 40 minutes or so of picture taking.
I went back to reading this thread, 'cause the whole Yeti RC thing interests me. My experiences with speed controls leads me to believe it's the power delivery between 0~100% that is the problem with any ESC . Back in the day when I only had three speeds with the mechanical speed controls, it was the slow, and medium speed resistors that would heat up so much; thus melting and catching lexan on fire. Any electricity that didn't make it to the motor was turned into heat by them resistors. The mounting position of them little white bricks (resistors) was a design flaw on my first hobby grade RC.

Without getting in too deep with today's electrical speed controls, and how they work; they have to handle that unused current from the battery somehow. Earlier this year I was using my radio transmitter (EPAs) to reduce full throttle on my RCs. With having high kv rated motors in 1/10 scale buggy and trucks, and my throttle reduced to 65%; I was tripping the over heat protection circuit on my ESCs constantly. It took me awhile to figure out the issue. After ordering some lower kv motors and letting the batteries full potential reach the motor (running full throttle)...no more problems/issues with the ESCs.

Trying to craw/maneuver around in the forest at low speeds would be best with the right gearing?

Maybe the optional two-speed transmission is in your future?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.