Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best ESC for this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:43 AM
96yellowjacket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ESC for this setup?

I have the original RC10 (gold pan) buggy with 81tooth 48pitch spur gear. 5000mah nimh battery, XP SC200 Team Assoc ESC, with Titan 12T motor. I have had reoccurring issues with the ESC shutting down on overheat. It has also fried 1 previous Reedy Radon 30000 RPM motor (and 2 other old motors before that).

My son has a Grasshopper with the same battery (5000nimh) and Titan 12T motor and has no problems using the Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC that came with his kit.

Not sure which ESC are a good fit for my RC10. I do not race it - just family fun. Should I just get another TBLE-02S like my son has? Give me your recommendations for an ESC that will last with my current set up.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 08:17 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's just you and your son playin' around, and your happy with his setup, then yeah, just get what he has. I don't know that an original RC10 tranny can handle much more power than a 12T brushed motor.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Those Tamiya TBLE-02S ESCs are pretty neat, in the fact that you can use a sensored brushless motor or brushed motor with it. If not planning on using more than 6 cell NiMh battery packs, then I think the Tamiya ESC would be good enough. The only "attention getter" that I see is... the one spec of the speed control stating the use of brushed motors 540 size over 25T!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
RustyUs

If you are only planning to use brushed motors, then I would check out the HobbyWing Quicrun 1060. I think they can be had for around $20 w/free shipping on the www. But if you plan on going brushless, then I would check out some Speed Passion, HobbyWing, Leopard, Toro (....etc., etc., etc) 17.5T brushless motor/ESC combos.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

What pinion gear are you running? Is the motor and/or battery getting hot as well?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM
96yellowjacket

Not sure of the pinion gear - it is stock (what came with kit). The motor and battery were not hot when it stopped working. Heat sink on ESC was warm to touch. I can let it rest then it would work for a few more minutes then stop again. I was not sure if the Tamiya TBLE-02S that came with my sons grasshopper kit was cheap since came with kit. Which is better TBLE-02S or Hobbywing quicrun 1060?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 AM
RustyUs

I would tell straight up...the HobbyWing 1060 ESC for brushed motors is far better than the Tamiya ESC. Simply because of the fact that the HobbyWing is able to handle 3S LiPo/9cell NiMh batteries, and is willing to take on brushed motors down to 12T. As a bonus...it's waterproof, and probably cheaper.

The Tamiya TBLE-02s ESC specs the use of brushed motors 25T or higher. But again, it will also handle brushless motors (sensored) down to 10.5T

It's a toss up whether or not one wants to jump on the brushless band wagon down the road (at a later date). If one wants to continue to use brushed motors, then I would suggest to buy open end-bell motors (like your Radon) to at least rebuild the motor and be able to replace the brushes/bearings once they wear out. Closed end-bell motors like the Titan have hard brushes in them to give long life expectancy, and once they wear out...chuck the motor into the can. They are cheap enough to buy and replace.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-24-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:38 AM
Carabidae

Ive got the Blur ESC on my D8, built just for offroad fun. last time i played with it, it was shutting down on its own then it runs again. i checked my batt/esc connection and it was loose.
Dunno if thats what happening with you. Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:23 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

im just doing an RC10GT to brushless conversion, actually 2 of them, one for me, and one for my son. I ordered two SkyRC TORO SC120A ESC's and two Neu-Castle 1410-3500kv motors for our trucks. Im going to keep the stock 66T spur/slipper setup, and bought a bunch of pinions, ranging from 13,14,15t and we will see what works. I enjoy doing the conversion's! next are a couple of 1:8 OFNA Ultra LX 4x4 buggy's!

Ill let you know how the 120A esc's work for us!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Oooohhhhhh.........<face palm> You might regret the Toro ESCs. Their startup routine is not as smooth as some others. If you experience stutter-y low-RPM behavior, that's why. Sensorless motor systems have a start-up routine that gets the motor spinning enough for the ESC to recognize where the rotor's position in the motor is, before it switches over to the normal "run" mode. Some ESCs do this better than others. Castle does it the best, HobbyWing is also very good. In fact most brand-name ESCs do this well. It's just some of the knock-offs that don't.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM
96yellowjacket

I went ahead and got the Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC so set up is exactly like my son's Grasshopper. Same controller, battery, ESC, and motor. The RC-10 is STILL shutting down due to overheat (red light flashing on ESC). I wait a few minutes then it will run again for a short while. When it shuts down the motor is not hot at all only the heat sink on the ESC is hot to touch. The only thing I can see as being different between the two cars is the transmission gears. I don't see how this can make a difference. Any info you can give me to solve this problem is appreciated. We just made a track in the backyard and are looking for some head-to-head competition.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM
egbasher

That's weird that the motor is cool but the ESC is hot unless motor is pulling far more current than the ESC is designed to put out. I have never had an ESC shut down because of heat without the motor also being hot. Check for loos wires or shorts on the ESC wires. I'm not sure what you mean by "transmission gear". Do you mean pinion? Too large a pinion could overheat an ESC.

Originally Posted by 96yellowjacket
I went ahead and got the Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC so set up is exactly like my son's Grasshopper. Same controller, battery, ESC, and motor. The RC-10 is STILL shutting down due to overheat (red light flashing on ESC). I wait a few minutes then it will run again for a short while. When it shuts down the motor is not hot at all only the heat sink on the ESC is hot to touch. The only thing I can see as being different between the two cars is the transmission gears. I don't see how this can make a difference. Any info you can give me to solve this problem is appreciated. We just made a track in the backyard and are looking for some head-to-head competition.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 03:19 PM
96yellowjacket

Yes referring to pinion gear (and large plastic gear 81tooth 48pitch in tranny case). I would guess both of these are different in each of the cars. Could this be the reason for the ESC to over heat? I think the Titan motors have a built in fan. This may be the reason for the lower motor temperature.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM
egbasher

Too large a pinion can cause high temps but usually in the motor. Count the teeth on both yours and your son's. If yours is more that could be the issue. But like I said it's weird that the motor is cool. I've never seen a motor with a built in fan. Fans usually are on a heat sink that snaps on the outside of the motor. I wish you luck. I hate electrical problems. They can be so hard to diagnose.