Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

slipper clutch proper adjustment help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM
alex1992ccc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question slipper clutch proper adjustment help?

i have an arrma vortex mega (cheap one) 2wd. i want to know how tight i should tighten the slipper clutch... ive watched a few youtube videos and such.. but the methods they use dont seem to work for me.. (probly because i have a weak failing motor and bald tires) my car doesnt have enough power to pop a wheelie any more.. so i cant really use that method to test my slipper :/ i try just holding onto my spur gear and turning my wheels by hand.. but i cant tell if its too tight by doing it.. i have no hands-on frame of reference, im new to this.. plus my better judgement tells me im damaging something... ANYWAY heres my question. i want my slipper as tight as it can be WITHOUT hurting my transmission... how tight would that be? and what is a good method to test how tight it is?? (with bald tires that wont grip carpet, and a weak motor) ? by the way im new here and look foward to meeting you guys...thanks.. alex :]
Old 01-24-2016, 01:48 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tighten the slipper adjustment nut fully (clockwise) but don't over-tighten. Back it off (counter-clockwise) 5 complete turns. This is the default setting.
If you have bald tires you want the clutch to slip so it gradually puts power to the bald tires otherwise you will sit and spin. Get some new tires and set the clutch so you can hear the slip for about 1-2 feet as the vehicle moves after you plant the throttle. If you tighten it beyond that you will be replacing transmission parts in short order.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:46 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmHEnj71mw Or if I'm at a track I go with sound and visual cues for settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7can6WjRw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlAu8xsIA0
Old 01-24-2016, 03:49 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
... Get some new tires and set the clutch so you can hear the slip for about 1-2 feet as the vehicle moves after you plant the throttle. If you tighten it beyond that you will be replacing transmission parts in short order.
+1 on the above statement. alex1992ccc, I would call that setting your "as tight as it can be WITHOUT hurting my transmission" setting. 1'~2' is the sweet spot I strive for on high traction surfaces. Having a proper set slipper will absorb some energy/jolts that would normally put a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

I would recommend "refreshing" you slipper pad(s) on a regular basis (all depends on slipper settings) when you get some new tires...even if you don't get new rubber I would take the slipper pad(s), every month or so, and de-glaze the shiny spots. I use whatever I have on hand, but prefer 800 grit sandpaper to do the job, and then reassemble a clean slipper clutch to begin doing adjustments.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-24-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-24-2016, 04:19 PM
alex1992ccc

thanks guys, ive already seen the first 2 video's you posted rusty, but the 3rd one did help me.. i always got that sound confused with other things.. thought maybe it was just the sound of the tires etc, but now i know :]
Old 01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
alex1992ccc

man, i just got back in from testing it and trying to adjust it.. i guess i was wrong about remembering the sound because i still cant tell if the slipper is making noise or not... i payed very close attention to see if i could hear the sound of it slipping... tried about 20 full throttle take-offs, and i just cant tell over the sound of the motor... and i have a pretty good ear... if i could use the method shown in the first video, this problem would be solved.. but my old motor that i neglected and need to replace just doesnt have enough power for it :/ is there ANY other way fellas?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the plastic cover off to expose the spur gear. Put the car down on the ground/floor and push down on the frame a bit to plant the wheels. Using your thumb, try and rotate the spur while holding the car down. You should be able to make spur turn/slip a little without rotating the transmission and without tearing up your thumb. If you can't rotate it a little it is too tight.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, brushed motors don't last forever. The brushes eventually wear out and the motor needs to be replaced. Fortunately, they're pretty cheap. A better replacement would be a mild brushless system like the HobbyWing EZrun B2 combo from HobbyPartz.com. For $76 you get a 45Amp ESC, programming card, and a 4300kv brushless motor. I run that system in my Evader. Enough torque to wheelie, and a top speed near 40mph.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:14 PM
alex1992ccc

thanks rob, ill try to remember to check this stuff out, but wont that be enough power to damage something without making other upgrades? and thank YOU flyinwalenda... finally some info on how i could do this without running the car :] but using JUST the thumb? not holding it with a finger and the thumb?? because its pretty loose after getting the spur to move with JUST my thumb... maybe i have a weak thumb lol... i do have a question though.. while using someone else's method of holding the gear and turning the wheel, while holding the other wheel in place.. i noticed the dogbone driveshafts twist pretty easy... wouldn't the slightly flexible dogbone alone have enough give to save stress on the transmission?? now guys im not trying to be a know-it-all here...i can admit im.well.. a "noob" haha.. just a thought :]
Old 01-25-2016, 02:04 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by alex1992ccc
man, i just got back in from testing it and trying to adjust it.. i guess i was wrong about remembering the sound because i still cant tell if the slipper is making noise or not... i payed very close attention to see if i could hear the sound of it slipping... tried about 20 full throttle take-offs, and i just cant tell over the sound of the motor... and i have a pretty good ear... if i could use the method shown in the first video, this problem would be solved.. but my old motor that i neglected and need to replace just doesnt have enough power for it :/ is there ANY other way fellas?
Here is another great video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiMNTmtynU
Old 01-25-2016, 02:51 PM
alex1992ccc

thanks rusty, that made me feel better about a noise im hearing that i thought might of been my differential
Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't fret too much Alex. Slipper clutches usually do their job even if they are set a little tight. Unless you're doing jumps on asphalt, the slip the tires get on dirt do more to relieve strain than the slipper does anyway.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM
alex1992ccc

thanks rob, i feel better :P
(no sarcasm)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 PM
alex1992ccc

i went crazy OCD about my slipper... from what these guys say, and what the laws of physics suggest.. theres no need to worry unlees your doing alot of crazy jumps :P