Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to rc

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read, Redcat is ok, but if parts is your main concern, stick with Traxxas. Parts are everywhere, and the models you would want have been around for years, AND have huge after market support. RPM, for instance, make better parts for the Stampede, Rustler, and Slash than Traxxas does.

Rusty is right about RTRs, in that servos are usually cheap, and the included charger is usually crap. But new folks need a starting place, and that's how manufacturers keep the price down. My 2¢ is, buy him a Slash if you want 4wd. The short course truck has an amazing tendency to land rubber side down if it rolls over, where the Stampede would require "the walk". If you can manage it, go brushless and Lipo right off. Brushed motors have a limited lifetime. Brushes wear out. Brushless is way more powerful, yes, but with the 50% mode, he'll be able to get used to it.

Traxxas has come out with a nifty charger and battery connector that simplifies charging (although you'll pay for it, they are more expensive than other budget-friendly alternatives) and trust me, you will go Lipo eventually anyway. NiMh batteries cannot deliver the amperage Lipos can, and under high draw, can heat up to the point of melting the shrink wrap, which eventually destroys the battery.

The other thing you'll want to get for whatever you buy is a good after market bumper set. Most bumpers on RTRs (and kits) are cosmetic only and do little to protect the car. RPM and T-Bone Racing make great ones, and have a lifetime warranty. Best investment you can make.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

About the only Redcat 1/10 scale 4wd monster trucks that have brushless motor/ESC; that I would even consider...Blackout XTE Pro $200, or the Terremoto-10 V2 $268. Everything else looks...not as durable. Can I judge purely on looks? Probably not, but everything else in the Redcat's 1/10 scale line-up reminds me of when I ventured into 1/18 scale 4wd monster trucks...not a good journey for me .

I think the 1/10 scale 4wd side of the hobby would be a great step up from what you have in your original posting. Is there even a scale to be seen on the package? If you go too small in size, you will not have the ground clearance (most of the time) necessary for happy RCing.

I know there is a lot to "weigh in on" when it comes to narrowing your search down.

Just do a little research and I'm sure you will come up with something. I'll let you to your homework .
Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Walshautomotive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no definite scale on the ones I have now. I went to a hobby shop 2 hrs away and found front hubs that look like they may work for it. They're made by IMEX. Looks like parts from Traxxas 1/16 scale is the closest swap but Traxxas uses pins where mine screw in.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for chiming in EXT2Rob. My digging into Redcat's website was painful . Seriously though, everything has a breaking point, and a lot of time people get bored with the stock RTR lower priced brushed motor/NiMh speed, and want more. After upgrading your vehicle to go faster, and faster, higher, and higher...you will soon know the limits of the RC car at hand (crashes, and cartwheels...all good stuff).

The one thing that I liked about the Blackout XTE...all four corners (arms/upper suspension links) are interchangeable.

Awesome. As a bonus, you even get a so called manual compared to previous models... piece of paper with just an exploded view on it. Pat yourself on the back Redcat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACKOUT-XTE-PRO.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2144708  

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-01-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: wording
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Walshautomotive

Everything I'm reading on the redcat blackout says that when it comes to parts it's like the ones I have now AND right out of the box a lot of trouble/missing parts. I think I'm going to steer away from redcat.

Traxxas e-revo or the summit seems to be my best bet so far. I like the fact that the summit has an "exoskeleton" around the body. I think the 1/16 scale is a better pick for my son being that it is a little smaller for him to handle but on the down side parts are smaller. Anyone know of any specifications as far as high/low and locking diff options on these?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Walshautomotive

RustyUs the redact that you showed me there is definitely a nice vehicle. I wish I would've made the mistake on buying that instead of the two I originally purchased. The universality of the front to rear suspension is a great idea. I wish other RC's followed this.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM
EXT2Rob

e-Revo, huh? That $700 price tag doesn't scare you away?
Read up on the e-revo and what may be required to make it bashable. Stay away from the mini e-revo (aka "MERV"), I've read, and heard first-hand, that it requires LOTS of upgrades to keep it in one piece. And it still breaks.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Walshautomotive

Ext2rob thanks for the input. I haven't read about the mini revo being fragile. I'm assuming the mini summit is going to be the same then since it basically has all the same workings? $700 is quite a lot of dough for a toy. That's why I was more interested in the smaller ones. I would like to know more about the drivetrain of the smaller ones.

Last edited by Walshautomotive; 02-01-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Not finished
Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
EXT2Rob

The drive train in the smaller ones isn't so much the issue. It's the fact that they can achieve speeds comparable to the bigger ones, but the parts are smaller, so they can't take the impacts as well as bigger parts. Again, anything you buy, you must put aftermarket bumpers on.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Walshautomotive

Ok, so after reading and researching for quite some time, I've finally made the decision to purchase a Traxxas Summit 1/16. I didn't really want to throw the $350 out there just yet so I looked on eBay and found a used 1/16 summit/revo. I thought with the spare parts and $200, I'm getting a pretty good deal for something to start with. I appreciate all the I put and feedback that you guys have given me.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 PM
EXT2Rob

Cool man! Let us know how it works out for you. Like with 1:1 cars, buying used can save you lots of cash, if you choose well. Getting a bunch of spare parts is always good. Welcome to the addiction! 😉
Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 PM
frog racer

Any of the Traxxas vehicles would be great. Traxxas is made for bashing and all parts are readily available. Great customer service and lifetime electronics guarantee i think too.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:41 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Hobao Hyper SSe the electric version of the Hyper SS. its very solid, hard to break and he will love it. You can get them from most retailers out there like Tower Hobbies. Good luck to you. Scratch that, I checked Tower and they are limited quantity or discontinued all over the place. I think that Tower must not be stocking much anymore from Hobao because they have their own ecommerce site now.

Last edited by mattster1971; 02-12-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Fastfun456

Question to all!!!!

Stampede 4x4 VXL Brushless V.S HPI Savage XS Flux 4x4

Which is the better buy and why, Just getting ideas!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:06 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Fastfun456
Question to all!!!!

Stampede 4x4 VXL Brushless V.S HPI Savage XS Flux 4x4

Which is the better buy and why, Just getting ideas!
I'd say it's a coin toss for most. For me, it's an easy decision...HPI Savage XS Flux. For the toughness level they're both known for; I've seen crazy s*!t done to the XS Flux and it gets my vote. Going on pure looks...HPI wins. The Stampede's body just sits too high for my taste, but easy fix though. The Savage XS chassis, and layout, looks "purpose built"; then you have the Stampede which (for me anyway) looks more like a high riding truck body slapped on quickly... to get it out the door. The Traxxas design works, and is a proven "great ride". But, as a bonus...the HPI Savage XS and Tower Hobbies coupons...what's not to like. Traxxas should get off their high horse.

The above is all my opinion of course. I'm sure others will prefer the "Pede" for reasons.
Get out there and throw some dirt!

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-14-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Fastfun456

So i Found the Savage XS Flux for 270$ You think I should snag it before the price goes back up to 309$ +?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM
stephlo13

Hi! I had the same problem- with the XGX3-very difficult to track down the parts! But I just received my replacement shock from https://www.rcdetroit.com/product/18...-tower-braces/ and I would tell you to take pictures of each part while you're taking it apart! There are a million screws and tiny parts. When I got mine stripped down, a tiny piece of the shock tower was also broken. I super glued it, so fingers crossed it holds up for a few weeks at least. You will also need a star hex key to get the pins out. I used a T9. Good luck!!

We also have an ECX Torment. Much better quality and so much fun to drive. Our local shop carries parts for ECX as well, so that's a huge help!!

Last edited by stephlo13; 04-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.