Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

REDCAT GEAR(s) pitch ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM
onyta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REDCAT GEAR(s) pitch ??????

I need 2 know what the pitch is for the VOLCANO PRO elec 4x4......
Factory teeth count was 21, replacing the stock tires with large ones
and I need to lower the gear ratio by about 8 or 9 %. Redcat doesn't
give the pitch on it's websites ?????
Thanks,
Onyta
Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There was a thread, awhile back, that I was looking into/researching on a Redcat model's (I don't remember which one) brass pinion gear that was being used. The user wanted to know of any steel gears that would work. After a long drawn out search...I believe the model used neither mod1 or 32 pitch. I'm thinking the Volcano uses .6 module gears.

*edit* The vehicle in question, from the other thread, was a Redcat Earthquake 8E's pitch being used.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-22-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM
RustyUs

Well, Yahoo! and Amazon pulled up some parts within a few fractions of a second. That was a heck of a lot quicker than a couple of months ago when I was trying to find the answer.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-23-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM
onyta

Thanks for info. Was hoping for better news...........
New 2 trucks, I have 2 depend on " ya'll" for help.
I enjoy solving engineering problems almost as much
as playing. Maybe will be able 2 find another man-
ufacturer with the parts or modify some. I can see
the 'big' gear will be the problem........
Thanks again
Onyta Eathersway
Old 02-23-2016, 05:03 PM
RustyUs

Is this the spur gear you want to try and replace?
Steel 64 tooth .6 module gear:

I posted the picture up, hoping that maybe someone will know of a similar spur gear. From the other threads, people are having issues with the brass pinion gears wearing out fast. Are you having this issue?

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-02-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 PM
DieHarder

If you are having issues with them, a gear like this should do a lot better

RRP 19T 0.6 Mod - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Racing-19T-0-6Mod-METRIC-Pinion-Gear-/351638898221?hash=item51df4fc62d:g:QEoAAOSwVL1V-v3B

RRP 17T 0.6 Mod - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Rac...kAAOSwKtlWtDat

That spur gear 'drive-pin' style is kinda rare. The drive pin of the top shaft usually fits into the slipper clutch, different design I guess... I don't think you're going to find a bigger spur with that drive style. Best bet would be to drop a lot of teeth on the pinion.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 PM
onyta

RUSTY........I'm getting closer,,,,,,final found that the .6 is maybe?????? the right pitch
and no I need the motor gear in 19 or 20 teeth. & my Volcano Pro came
with steel gears ,,,,I set the lash when I got the thing & it has +- 20 long
runs with NO noticeable wear on either gear........info on suppliers for
gears (aftermarket) would be nice..........REDCAT as far as I can tell
doesn't even show the factory gear , steel -21T on their web page, but
it is shown in steel in the parts literature that comes with the truck.....
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE LOOKING FOR THE
SAME STUFFFFFF.......... Thanks Onyta
Old 02-25-2016, 05:38 PM
onyta

This is a reply from onyta to myself & anyone else that is following this or just reading......
Somewhere someone posted that a 48p gear will sub with the .6 mod gear..........wrong........
Not even that close.......they might last a little while on a lite truck with a brushed stock
motor,
most of u folks probably already know how to check the exact fit between gears........just
in case ya don't ........lay em flat on the ol' work bench & put prssure from the side as u turn
em.......against one another..........if they don't turn very smoothly it ain't rite
Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by DieHarder
Great eye DieHarder. My favorite pinion gear manufacturer comes through again. I didn't even know RRP made 0.6 mod pinions, I guess I never had a reason to look for 'em . They should be a lot better then the brass Redcat pinions. This is good stuff to know definitely.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:56 PM
onyta

ONYTA HERE...........I FOUND THE .6 19T @ RRP by doing a search for pinion gears..........Our factory steel gears last.... but any brass
or alum. don't last in the volcano very long , sometimes 1 run or 1 batt. Thanks for the help, got 2 gears on order,
will post the results about the performance when and where.

Also going to read about another truck, maybe intermediate and not beginner,,,,,,,,,maybe with trac. control and a
racer and not a toy back yard basher..........and for sure with lots of gear(s) ratios available (TRAX)????MAY-BE..

Thanks Yall
Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree ( .6 Mod on the Redcats ) ...... I found a lot more sizes of gears ( ratios ) available if you change to 48P . I have the 2wd Twister running a Losi Spur gear and Robinson Racing Pinion . I have not seen the Volcano up close but I can't imagine it to be too hard to find something that would fit .
Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 PM
onyta

Installed new 19T motor gear...........does what I wanted it to do..........totes the front wheels anytime u ask it to...........
Broke the front spindle/hub on a rock today ,,,,, got alum. ones on the way already.......
p.s. got the gears in 2 days from Utah(RCBoys),,,,,,,very good service & the price was right,,,,,,,will use 'em again.