Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Theibault's Axial yeti Score Trophy Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Theibault's Axial yeti Score Trophy Truck Thread

I'm starting a thread for my Axial Yeti Score TT. I'll update with pics and vids as I go. To start with, here's my unboxing video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJ-yE8UKa0
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the truck, and watch some video. I always enjoyed watching your videos of Tamiya buggies, and looking forward to your take on Axial's Yeti Score Trophy Truck.

Subscribed.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM
theibault

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Awesome! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the truck, and watch some video. I always enjoyed watching your videos of Tamiya buggies, and looking forward to your take on Axial's Yeti Score Trophy Truck.

Subscribed.
Thanks bud. Hopefully will have the first run tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 PM
theibault

Took the Yeti Score for it's first run. What a fun truck. I was running it stock on 2s. The truck has plenty of power but box stock, it's down on speed. A simple pinion change will help. The suspension works well. Out of the box, I felt the rear to be a tad soft on the compression stroke. I will be playing around with that as well as the rear arm locations. Overall, very fun first run. I didn't take it easy either and the truck rolled away with just a few scratches. Everything else held together well and nothing broke. Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXjO5XgZ9Tk
Old 02-25-2016, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Nice location to shoot a video! It looks soooo...peaceful.

Your right about the rear suspension being so soft. With the extra long suspension travel, I'm guessing here, Axial opted for lower wt. oil in the rear shocks for their optimum stock setting. I see a lot of dudes increasing the shock oil wt. after a few runs.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM
theibault

Nice location to shoot a video! It looks soooo...peaceful.

Your right about the rear suspension being so soft. With the extra long suspension travel, I'm guessing here, Axial opted for lower wt. oil in the rear shocks for their optimum stock setting. I see a lot of dudes increasing the shock oil wt. after a few runs.
I don't think the wt. is off, it just needs more pack. I'm going to be playing with it so I'll report my findings.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 AM
RustyUs

Depending on how severe the jumps are, I had to prevent the rear from compressing all the way. Not that I exclusively jump the platform...launching the heavy Yeti with shocks bottoming-out gave me no chance for predictable flight. But I knew this going into the purchase anyway, and I just wanted something I could transform into something other than a rock racer...thanks to many pre-Axial Score's trophy truck builds, a trophy truck is now one of the easy "morphs" on my list.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:08 PM
theibault

Took the Score out for some jumps. Still stock set up, running 2s. Typical to this type of rig, it jumps with a slight nose down tendency. It ran great and I'm very happy with the performance so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQq5mdW7IHk
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

would having a higher KV motor help with that nose-down tenancy? Being able to rev the crap out of it to raise the nose? Plus, I read it has a tendency to roll when turning left due to the solid axle "body twist". Your observations?

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 03-02-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:19 PM
theibault

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
would having a higher KV motor help with that nose-down tenancy? Being able to rev the crap out of it to raise the nose? Plus, I read it has a tendency to roll when turning left due to the solid axle twist. Your observations?
The motor is not the solution. This attitude can be dealt with through suspension tuning. Like I said, it's typical of these types of rigs. Frankly, it jumps very well as long as you know how to jump it. I don't have any torque twist issues but that could change once I start running on 3s. You'll see the vid.

Last edited by theibault; 03-02-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:19 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

another reason it may jump better than say the Yeti which is the exact same platform is because of the "float" factor or parachute effect with the larger SC body. I know that my Yeti was horrible in jumps with the stock springs and oil weight recommended. I had to change both to get a good jumper.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:55 AM
theibault

Originally Posted by mattster1971
another reason it may jump better than say the Yeti which is the exact same platform is because of the "float" factor or parachute effect with the larger SC body. I know that my Yeti was horrible in jumps with the stock springs and oil weight recommended. I had to change both to get a good jumper.
Parachuting is not an issue with this truck. There is no back to the body. Just a cage so no parachute effect. Suspension tuning is what helps. It's also a little back heavy because of the cage and spare tire.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM
theibault

Took the Yeti Score out to a track to see how it performs on 3s. Really wakes the truck up. Still could do with a couple teeth on the pinion. Also had my first break. I broke the front bumper arms. So minor compared to the abuse I've put this truck though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJGPbgArRkU
Old 03-05-2016, 06:56 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice video man. I like the way it functions. Do you feel it runs different than the actual Yeti or is it similar in drive?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Doesn't surprise me you broke the "bumper". The ones they put on most models are purely cosmetic and do little to protect the vehicle. All RTRs, unless you're going to race, need an after market bumper set from RPM or T-Bone Racing.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 AM
theibault

I don't won a Yeti, bu I imagine it's very similar considering they share like 95% of their parts.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:11 AM
RustyUs

Trophy Truck vs. camera...nice! Camera being used in the Axial vids...same as the one used in your other videos?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:16 AM
theibault

Trophy Truck vs. camera...nice! Camera being used in the Axial vids...same as the one used in your other videos?
Yup, my trusty Hero4Black.