Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking more torque and less speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking more torque and less speed

I just got a Bullet Flux in a trade and have seen this truck run and seen it break. It used to be my sons and he went to Crawlers so he traded me for my Night Crawler. I ended up fixing this truck alot for him. It runs good and is fast but doesn't take bad landings and such very well. Up till now all parts have been replaced by what I have to say is the best customer support around IMO. What I want to do with it is to slow it down to the point where I can play around with him and his crawler and still have a bit more top-end than the Night Crawler. I am working with the diffs to provide a positive pull on both axles and I am not sure whether to go with heavy grease or a spool but my question is about the motor. It is a 4000Kv motor and I was thinking if I go down on the Kv I should got less speed but will I get more torque? Does that depend on the type of motor? I know alot of people will say"throttle control" but that to me is a joke. I already have two 2wd cars (Losi desert truck, Rustler VXl, both heavily modified) that will do 60 or better depending on battery. I want my 4wd to be slower and more powerful. This truck is just as fast as my 2wd trucks if they are all on 2s. I am thinking of somewhere around 1500-2000 Kv. Does this make any sense? Any motor suggestions? I am going with bigger tires too. Have to make some adapters to mount a set of T-Max tires on it so I really need to slow her down.

Last edited by James c harrell; 04-19-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All things being the same lowering the Kv does increase torque a small amount. Increasing motor length and diameter increases torque way more than lowering Kv though. Have a look at Castle's 1415 2400kv, should fit nicely. The lower Kv motors are usually 1/8 size which is 40mm diameter (42mm with fins) and may require spacing the center diff up a little.

As for the diffs I hate grease and despise lockers more unless you're going more for crawling than bashing. Either way silicone diff fluid works way better than grease. It'll lock the diff more and provide way more consistent action. Since the diff is sealed you can use silicone fluid. A somewhat educated guess based on your plans I'd say around 20k front and 10k-15k rear would be a good place to start.

If if you're serious about Maxx size tires I have a couple suggestions. First is 1/2 offset or wider wheels to keep them off the body and from rubbing the chassis in turns. 2nd would be 17mm hex adapters from another vehicle, possibly extended adapters (to use standard offset wheels) if available. Measure the diameter of the axles or bearings and compare to other models that have 17mm adapter available for them. Something like the Traxxas Slash 4x4 or other SCT truck would likely work or be fairly easy to make work.