Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

May have found a little chunk of vintage fun! Need a little help!

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

May have found a little chunk of vintage fun! Need a little help!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking May have found a little chunk of vintage fun! Need a little help!

So i was chatting with my dad last week and the topic of my dad's and I old rc car from when i was barely walking came up. He said "I still have it, if you want it come get it! So that's what i did and low and behold it turned out (by the looks of it) that i am the new owner of a early 90's Losi jrxt in full working order! The only thing that doesn't work is the 6 cell battery but i was not surprised, it did work for 30 seconds to test it but doesn't hold a charge. Everything looks original and it comes with 4 full sets of tires (some losi branded), 3 motors, old school charger, and some extra a-arms. What do you guys think? Every part on it seems to be tekin including a speed controller that i have never seen anything even close to. As you can see this has been sitting from quite sometime but it was housed in a enclosed wood box, everything spins and moves. The diff even functions. A Tag on the back of the remote says frequency checked may 1994 but i'm not sure if that is from a track visit or from the factory as the sticker is shiny in comparison to everything else and looks out of place. Just looking to learn a little bit about the toy that kinda started it all for me as i haven't had eyes on this truck in 20 years. Any info that you have on it would be really appreciated and if you need any additional pics to help identify exactly what it is just let me know! Its a little dirty but i think she will clean up good, body barely has any cracks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (3).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2160521   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (4).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2160522  
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Those Tekins were awesome. They are rated by their nomenclature...the 410 was able to handle 4~10 cells, the 411 were able to handle 4~11 cells, 420 were able to handle 4~20 cells . Cells meaning NiCds of course .
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
RustyUs

I'm gonna show my age a bit here, but having a matched set of "pushed" or "zapped" 1400mah SCR NiCd cells back in the day was huge stuff! I am not saying that is what's riding in that Losi, but seeing those red cells made me reminisce. I probably paid as much, or more for 6 NiCd cells back then, as what we pay for a very good LiPo pack now.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-02-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: wording
Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM
The Saylors

Oh ya? That's interesting, i thought the esc was kinda odd looking because of the asymmetrical heat fins along with a tiny roto knob for torque control. The battery has red cells but no labels so i'm not sure what it is. I think i'm gunna get everything out of the box tonight, clean it up, and spread it out for pics that way you guys can help me figure out what i should save and what is junk. I don't plan on selling this but i would like to know the value of the set up and what to be careful with due to rarity just so i know what i'm doing. I want to keep this and maybe take it out for some gentle runs a couple times a year and make it a shelf queen for the rest of the time. Just looking at it makes me smile
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
The Saylors

From what research i have done online it looks like this is a LXT rather than the jrxt like i thought (the pics out there are so old its hard to find the little differences on the chassis). I can't believe the manual actually calls for you to tape the servo down . It was a simpler time, it was a better time.. not really, i would like to be able to secure this properly! Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket chassis brace that also has servo mount locations? Also i'm sorry i haven't gotten to take pics and put them up yet of the rest of the stuff that came with it. Stupid life
Old 05-04-2016, 01:17 PM
RustyUs

You should be able to find some servo mounts somewhere. Just drill two hole in the chassis for some countersunk screws.
Part # 7336 from Team Associated
I'm sure you could find something Losi-ish to use. It's just that I have Associated manuals on my hard drive, and makes it easier to find stuff.

Name:	7336_md.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2160946  

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-04-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added link
Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 PM
The Saylors

I really don't wanna drill as the chassis is nearly blemish free. If i have to i will double side tape it or zip tie it to the brace but i really prefer the clean finish look. I feel like there has to be a brace out there that has the little tabs on it to mount the servo. I may just have to fab one. Also aside from ebay do you know were i can get some rpm parts for it? I would like to keep the stock parts that are likely to break separate and use modern for when i run it. Too bad they don't keep their vintage part line up and running but i totally get why. The only a-arm set i found was 50 bucks which is pretty steep for a set of arms. I know i'm kinda babying it but its got a lot of sentimental value to me and i would be really sad if it got ruined.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:58 PM
The Saylors

That kit does look pretty legit though, ugh i guess i will sleep on it. Two little holes wont really weaken the chassis i guess and i don't plan on running it hard.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:48 PM
RustyUs

All of my 1/10 buggies; stadium trucks, and short course truck all have the servo mounted with the two screws coming through the bottom of the chassis. Composite plastic, carbon composite, graphite...never had a weakening issue. But I understand you want to preserve something that's meaningful to you. Not to mention you probably will have a very hard time finding a spare chassis. Interesting though, that the manual says to secure the servo only with tape. I've seen 1/12 pan cars do it that way, but never a stadium truck relying on servo tape to keep servo planted to the chassis. In this case I'd use some E6000 or ShoeGoo. You just have to give that stuff time to set-up and cure. Relatively easy to remove when needed.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:00 AM
The Saylors

Sorry for the couple of doubles

Name:	noname (5).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2161078   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (6).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2161079   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (7).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2161080   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (8).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2161081   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (9).JPG
Views:	37
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	2161082   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (10).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2161083   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (11).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2161084   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (12).JPG
Views:	41
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2161085  

Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (13).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2161086   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (15).JPG
Views:	19
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2161087   Click image for larger version

Name:	noname (14.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2161088  

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-05-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: cuz i forget stuff
Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM
The Saylors

Ok there they all are. Only thing i left out was the four batteries that came with it but since those don't work i didn't take pics of them. Just about everything looks good aside from the old transmitter (power button doesn't rebound when pushed, stuck on) so i think i will install a new receiver so i can use my new spektrum to keep things safe when i do decide to play with it. Aside from changing over some of the Phillips head hardware over to hex to make it less of a pain to wrench on and an updated receiver, any thoughts on what small upgrades would be wise? Not familiar with this trucks weak points. I think i will be fine with the two extra sets of a-arms but maybe a bulkhead? I have heard the blow apart if your too rough. Oh also what brushed motor is a good choice as well? These motors have sat for 20 years so i'm not confident in their ability to work so i wouldn't mind having a couple options. Don't worry i wont put brushless in it lol

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.