Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Looking for less expensive Mountain Rider / Bruiser alternatives

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for less expensive Mountain Rider / Bruiser alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Sunsanvil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for less expensive Mountain Rider / Bruiser alternatives

After spending the past 30 years (literally) wishing initially for a 1982 HiLux, and subsequently a Bruiser, and then inevitably a Mountain Rider, I have come to the conclusion, and have accepted the fact, that I will never EVER be in a position to spend that much money (on what my wife insists is "just a toy").

The question then becomes, what is out there in the way of kits (I hate RTR) which could possibly be construed as a poor man's HiLux?

One brain fart I had is to grab something like the Axial Score Kit, set it up fairly high, with a tiny pinion to slow it down but I don't know how close to the HiLux experience that would get....
Old 05-12-2016, 04:05 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GMADE Sawback, GMADE Komodo GS01, or RC4WD TF2 all look a lot like the Hilux. Also, a SCX10 can be modified to look like a Hilux as well.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Chumley54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am itching for the mountain rider or Bruiser. I agree the Price is pretty stiff. If you are willing to sacrifice the realistic chassis to a straight ladder chassis type, the Hilux High Lift version is about $150 cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XFG880/...I1W57M7GG4GD5J

For about $360 you can get the Bruiser type axles and 3 speed transmission. The Chassis is different, but otherwise the same body as the Bruiser.

I am saving my allowance for the Bruiser though, I like the authentic type chassis and I used to own a Hilux 1:1 that was similar (but 2WD).

The high lift version is also available in the Toyota Tundra Body and the F150 Body, all on the same same Highlift chassis.