Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Maxximize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushes

Hey all I have a few questions for the old school brushed guys. I recently got 2 electric trucks, a 1/16 Revo and a Lunchbox. I run brushed motors in both of them at this time. I have sealed stock motors I run sometimes, and some rebuildable as well. I also just recently got a few old school motors and one newer one for use in these trucks. I have an Integy Matrix Pro V10 Twin Turbo 27T stock, 2 Trinity Chameleon 2 Pro 19T motors, and an Orion Method Pro 15T double wound.

This leads to my questions. I ran a Chameleon 19T (Version 1?) in a Stampede years ago for a short time before I sold the truck and moved completely to nitro. I have never ran an Integy or Orion motor until now as only had Trinity motors back then. I cannot remember for the life of me what brush compounds where best for various motor types and scenarios. I do know that I exclusively ran brushes that where made for long comm life as I didn't have a lathe or access to one and didn't race (And I was 13 years old), but I don't remember what types of brushes I ran. I ran that old Chameleon probably 40 or so times without anything but routine cleaning, oiling, and new brushes and it still ran great when I sold the truck. I also remember the comm still being very straight and clean with no burning at all.

I'd like to know if I should look for hard or soft pure copper, or maybe some with silver in them for lowest comm wear? I'd like to keep these motors running for awhile without having to worry about the comm. My Integy motor was an NOS find and had instructions and a dyno sheet with it, so I know it has Integy M3088 brushes in it now, which Integy recommends for "practice use". The Orion was brand new and the instructions say it has Orion 41105 brushes in it. The 2 Chameleons are both unused but I don't have any instructions with them so I have no idea what they have in them or should use. Any help is much appreciated! I love running old school motors and would like to keep these things going for awhile!

Last edited by Maxximize; 05-14-2016 at 12:55 AM.