Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Castle Is Retarted

Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 PM
BlueBorderRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle Screwed Me

The supplied motor mount screws are too small and too short. Stripped out first run, way to go castle you managed to break your own equipment immediatly after i paid for it lol. I guess I should buy another one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_194347.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	2162475  

Last edited by BlueBorderRC; 05-17-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:21 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait, wait, wait. You would think they would have some sort of statement in the users guide warning of this problem. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if I use the supplied 32 pitch 16T pinion gear that came with my Neu-Castle 15 series motors on my 1/8 scale buggy that uses Mod 1 pitch spurs, and ruined my spur gear...it's Castle's fault?

What is really idiotic is when half of my LiPo packs have the positive and negative lead inputs reversed from what I was used to. Not fun having my ESC smell like a burnt pack of matches .

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-15-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Wait, wait, wait. You would think they would have some sort of statement in the users guide warning of this problem. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if I use the supplied 32 pitch 16T pinion gear that came with my Neu-Castle 15 series motors on my 1/8 scale buggy that uses Mod 1 pitch spurs, and ruined my spur gear...it's Castle's fault?

What is really idiotic is when half of my LiPo packs have the positive and negative lead inputs reversed from what I was used to. Not fun having my ESC smell like a burnt pack of matches .
Screws to hold the motor in are a tad different then the pitch of the pinion.

In this case I agree its quite poor to supply screws to mount a motor in the wrong size.

But eh what do you expect from a company that makes you buy a capacitor bank which should be included with the ESC optional so it don't blow out, and blame battery ripple voltages instead.
If you didn't notice I'm no castle fan
But I will say the NEIU Motor I got from them is quite well made (the ESC is kinda meh IMO).
Old 05-15-2016, 01:41 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to believe the included bolts were both the wrong size and length but things do happen.
Easy to believe that someone would try and install bolts that are both the wrong size and length without questioning it and then try and run it that way.
Next time get things sorted out before you start and make sure you have the proper fasteners in the proper places.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it hard to believe they'd include screws that were the wrong diameter, but anything is possible. Maybe the esc mounts with smaller diameter screws or you used screws from the 8ight-t kit instead of the 3mm diameter motor mount screws? The screws not being long enough for your particular application I can believe, afterall motor mount thickness varies and 1/8 buggy/truggy mounts are typically thicker than Maxx/Revo and some other monster trucks. That's why I always put a screw through the mount to see how much sticks out the other side and I also thread a screw into the motor by hand to see how deep they can go. Castle motors have a plastic piece inside so a screw won't contact the windings but not all motors have that so be careful. Either way compare how far they go into the motor and the mount and use as long of a screw as you can. You can't expect a company to include screws that are going to be the right length for every application.

I hesitate to tell you to contact Castle customer service but I've had good luck with them the 2 times I've had to use it. Maybe they'll send you a new endbell for free or cheap. Another option is to simply use the other set of mounting holes. If the wires end up in a bad position simply remove the screws holding the endbell onto the can and rotate the endbell 90 degrees. Now the set of holes that weren't stripped are where the stripped ones used to be in relation to the wires. I recommend bolting the motor mount to endbell and using that to turn it. The endbell may have some glue on it as well that'll need to break free so don't be surprised if it's hard to turn at first.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-15-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Screws to hold the motor in are a tad different then the pitch of the pinion.

In this case I agree its quite poor to supply screws to mount a motor in the wrong size.
Forget whether the screws were correct or not for a second, we only have Blue's word that he used the included screws (and assuming only one size was included) and that variable is mute for this DISCUSSION. In general, does the end user bear any responsibility for making sure they assemble the product correctly? Should the end user be responsible for making sure the hardware threads correctly and far enough for the application during assembly? How is the screw example any less relevant than the pinion example? If anything less people in this world have experience with gear mesh than installing screws.

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Easy to believe that someone would try and install bolts that are both the wrong size and length without questioning it and then try and run it that way.
Because it's always somebody else's fault, not theirs.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

"Castle is Retarted"
Talk about the pot calling the kettle............
Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 PM
BlueBorderRC

Last edited by BlueBorderRC; 05-15-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:48 PM
BlueBorderRC

Last edited by BlueBorderRC; 05-15-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 PM
BlueBorderRC

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Hard to believe the included bolts were both the wrong size and length but things do happen.
Next time get things sorted out before you start and make sure you have the proper fasteners in the proper places.
Sorry dude, I'm not a nut bolt and screw expert. A lot of them look the same to me lol.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:51 PM
BlueBorderRC

Originally Posted by RustyUs

Your system came with a pinion? That's interesting, I didn't see anything like that included.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:54 PM
BlueBorderRC

Originally Posted by G4guy
"Castle is Retarted"
Talk about the pot calling the kettle............
Nice mouth. At least you have a big something.

Last edited by BlueBorderRC; 05-15-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:05 PM
The Saylors

HAPPY THOUGHTS Maybe a change of subject....anyone like the new Doom game?....lol
Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBorderRC
Your system came with a pinion? That's interesting, I didn't see anything like that included.
The one CC system I bought years back came with a pinion(actually 2) that was made of some soft metal (pretty sure aluminum) which ground down to a perfect wheel after 1 run. Threw other pinion in the trash can.

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Forget whether the screws were correct or not for a second, we only have Blue's word that he used the included screws (and assuming only one size was included) and that variable is mute for this DISCUSSION. In general, does the end user bear any responsibility for making sure they assemble the product correctly? Should the end user be responsible for making sure the hardware threads correctly and far enough for the application during assembly? How is the screw example any less relevant than the pinion example? If anything less people in this world have experience with gear mesh than installing screws.
True we do only have his word.
But I will say when I used to buy quite a few things that had to be assembled there were multiple times I bought items that had incorrect screws included.
Hell I remember the one airplane kit I bought (ok it was from HobbyKing) that they sent me a pile of wrong airplane parts in the box. It had the right instructions for what I ordered, but like 30%-40% of the parts I got were not in the instructions.
I've also bought aftermarket parts like a steering upgrade for one of my RC's from a company that had the wrong sized screws in the package(I think it was STRC that time).

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 05-16-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Maj_Overdrive

The one CC system I bought years back came with a pinion(actually 2) that was made of some soft metal (pretty sure aluminum) which ground down to a perfect wheel after 1 run. Threw other pinion in the trash can.
One of the Mamba Monster systems I bought years ago came with an aluminum 32p pinion. I agree it was soft (6061 or softer), only good for plastic spur gears. I think I stripped the threads for the grub screw or it seemed very likely at the least, either way I tossed it. They definitely weren't as hard as the 7075 aluminum pinions from Robinson Racing I've had in the past.

True we do only have his word.
But I will say when I used to buy quite a few things that had to be assembled there were multiple times I bought items that had incorrect screws included.
Hell I remember the one airplane kit I bought (ok it was from HobbyKing) that they sent me a pile of wrong airplane parts in the box. It had the right instructions for what I ordered, but like 30%-40% of the parts I got were not in the instructions.
I've also bought aftermarket parts like a steering upgrade for one of my RC's from a company that had the wrong sized screws in the package(I think it was STRC that time).
Screw ups with screws (I feel like there's a joke there somewhere) are inevitable and invariably suck whether the mfg included the wrong ones or the end user used the wrong ones. Maybe you were just venting past frustration with bad included hardware and a Castle product in your first post. But it seemed like you placed more blame for the failure on the incorrect hardware than end user responsibility for proper assembly. Don't know why but after trying to help Blueborder with my first post, I read yours and went more philosophical with my 2nd post and the question about end user responsibility to ensure proper assembly.

Btw I was trying to separate Blue from that question hence the 2nd post and saying all variables related to him and the source of the screws are mute for the purpose of discussing the question of end user responsibility. I didn't want anyone (mainly blue) thinking I was saying or implying that he's lying or is some adjective that means mentally deficient. Afterall mistakes happen to the best of us.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We have all tried to put the wrong screw in the wrong hole at some stage .
I have purchased 2 new motors in the last 6 months and both ( different brands ) stated the bolt type to be used and the bolt hole depth .
I know it can be boring but it is always good to read the manual/specs before fitting a new part .
Maj_Overdrive gave some good advice on choosing the right bolt length , I also like as much bolt in the hole as possible .
Anyone got any other tips to stop this happening again ???
Old 05-17-2016, 05:05 AM
Maj_Overdrive

@seedygreenute, thanks for the kind words. The general rule with bolts is that you want the bolt to engage enough threads to be equal or greater to the bolts diameter. So for a 3mm bolt you want to engage at least 3mm of threads. If you have a look at nuts you'll see the commonly available ones follow this rule unless space is at a premium for whatever reason or the material you're threading into is really soft like plastic then you want a longer bolt with more threads engaged.

With a typical 3mm motor screw/bolt you want that 3mm minimum plus a little extra. Threads don't exactly start at the top, plus they're going into aluminum. So let's add 2mm for where the threads start and another 2-3mm for the fact we want a few extra threads for going into aluminum and we can round up to an even 10mm needed sticking out the motor mount to thread into the motor endbell. This will engage enough threads and shouldn't be so long that the screw will contact the windings on motors that don't have protection from that happening.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:27 AM
BlueBorderRC

Last edited by BlueBorderRC; 05-17-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 AM
BlueBorderRC

Thumbs up Castles Response

Castle's customer service might be pretty good, they called me back about this issue the first business day. The guy asked what kit I was putting it on (probably so he could ID the motor mount) and agreed with me that the plate in that Losi kit is thick and the screws don't have the length to bite. The guy says they are talking about doing 2 size of threaded holes on the plate for that option in the near future. I told him I just got longer screws and rotated the plate to use the fresh threads, its no problem.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:35 AM
BlueBorderRC

Originally Posted by The Saylors
HAPPY THOUGHTS Maybe a change of subject....anyone like the new Doom game?....lol
I just beat Uncharted 4. Excellent Graphics
Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 AM
The Saylors

I just beat Uncharted 4. Excellent Graphics
It sure did look good. Most of those games have though!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I told him I just got longer screws and rotated the plate to use the fresh threads, its no problem.
Did you also tell him he was "retarted"?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM
The Saylors

Its handy capped now days...or handy capable i guess even though it makes no sense. Political correctness is tiring. If you wanna really feel offended go play any multi player game online, The 9 year old that keeps kicking my a** is pretty inventive lol
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Chumley54

Not sure is some missed it, but the comments about "retarted": are because the correct spelling is "retarded". It's like the difference between a moron and a moran.... If you are afflicted with the condition, you likely can't spell the affliction you have.

Also, handicapped is out too....proper etiquette is usually "mentally challenged", or "differently abled". Maybe I am old school, but to me, retarded, mentally challenged, etc, are all the same thing. I would say it is rude to call someone out with those terms, regardless of the term. We all the right to be rude, and also have the right to be thoughtless. At any rate, everyone have a nice day (more cliches)

Last edited by Chumley54; 05-21-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 PM
sheograth

Keep it clean guys, no slinging insults.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.