Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Starter buggy recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:00 PM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Starter buggy recommendations

So I'm not looking to start a this vs that thread. I'm more curious as to what buggy or truggy in the sub $400 range was liked the best by you guys! I'm considering trying my hand at the track a lot more but would rather start small and work my way up as tracks are rare near me and i'm worried i might get bored with it. I was at the track again this weekend and was starting to really get the hang of it. I noticed after a couple of hours that i was no longer crashing and doing the walk of shame (for the most part) and was getting a good feel for how its done. I was even keeping up with the sct running veterans more often then not. (they were pretty impressed that i was at that level after a few months of mostly bashing) One thing that i noticed is that no matter how good i got, those buggies blew by me like i was tied to a post in the corners and in the rhythm sections . On the straights i was doing fine but any turn at all as well as the long double jumps were not making my 2wd sct happy. So if i want to play and not get left in the dust at the track it would appear that a buggy/truggy 4wd is what i "need". I have been looking and i don't wanna just huck a grand at this. i would rather start a little small like the 8ight mini t and see if its something that i will wanna do all the time before i go crazy with it. So my question is what 4wd buggy/truggy "trainer" would you recommend that wont put me in the poor house or even worse, the dog house? Try to stay in the sub $400 range but all recommendations are appreciated!

Alex

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-16-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Don't go 4WD if you're now just starting to not do the walk of shame. 2WD teaches you to be a better driver, and 4WD drivers are crazy. I didn't even touch a 4WD SC until my 4th year of racing, after racing a 2WD Slash and B4.1 for those other 3 years.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:52 PM
The Saylors

I'm well versed in 4wd. (i have a 4wd nitro mt and a 4wd rock racer) I bought a 2wd sct for my first truck in order to challenge me when doing obstical type stuff while bashing in order to make me establish good habits from the beginning. It has worked really well and i love my 2wd sct and will never sell it lol. I'm just new to the buggy portion of the hobby and looking to expand my horizons. Even though most would consider me intermediate on the track due to the time i have spent there, i think i'm more at the well informed beginner stage. I totally agree that noobs to the hobby should start with 2wd as i did not only for the better teaching aspect, but also to get them used to working on a car with a little less parts to fuss with. I'm to the point were my skill level is starting to exceed my equipment level on the track as well as my equipment just not being up to the task in terms of power and balance, so the sct will go back to being my favorite basher
Old 05-16-2016, 03:00 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't want to reply to this, 'cause I've heard both sides of the never ending debate ..."what is best platform to start out with?". But I had to get one thing straight and everyone on the same page. Since there is an RC 1/8 Scale Buggies forum and a RC Truggy forum, I'm assuming The Saylors, you are talking/asking about 1/10 scale 4wd buggies and truggies (1/10 4wd stadium trucks). If you are looking to race either of the platforms, I'd look at the tracks that you think you are going to frequent the most, and ask them if they even have a turnout in either of the classes. More than likely the 1/10 scale truggies won't have anybody showing up. That class of racing never really caught on. If you know of a place where they race that class, let me know. I'll get a divorce and move...just kidding. There is no huge selection of 1/10 truggies to choose from.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
... 2WD teaches you to be a better driver, and 4WD drivers are crazy....
...especially on a loose outdoor track. Don't even get me started with high-bite clay tracks where sauced bald tires, and traction rolling go hand-in-hand.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:33 PM
The Saylors

Oh jeeze i didn't specify at all did i? Sorry, i was looking in the 1/10th scale or less, like in the 1/14th ish area. That's what i meant about not wanting to get into a 1k plus car i.e. 1/8th scale. The track i like most is a loose but well groomed outdoor sand and dust track and the other one that i go to on occasion, but don't care for the atmosphere, is packed clay. like i said not looking for a this vs that thread just wanted to know what you guys are having FUN with. I AM NOT LOOKING TO RACE AS A PRO but i would like to keep up with weekend warriors if that makes sense? That's why the size isn't the deciding factor as its for fun competition rather than pro level or sanctioned stuff. More doing a couple hot laps for kicks. In hind sight i can see why you didn't wanna touch the thread rusty lol. i was too vague. When i go to the track to play with friends a race is a lap or two before half the drivers wipe out and someone has to go flip cars back over. I want something that corners well and can clear the rhythm sections effectively. Hope that clears it up! Any other questions please don't hesitate! I wont get all butt hurt i promise

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-16-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend getting a used 1/8 buggy or truggy. If you look for something like a 8ight 2.0 instead of 3.0 or 4.0 you can get a complete setup within your price range and parts are still available not that you'll need many. I'm actually considering downsizing and my low low run time, radio ready 8ight-t 2.0 with Tekin system and spares is a perfect example as a fair price is about $400 plus ship. I'm a little biased as I love 1/8 but if you're looking to keep up with them there's not much choice. Plus you can use a pair of 2s packs that can be used in other vehicles to reduce costs. My picks would be Losi 8ight 2.0, maybe 3.0 if you can find a decent one in your price range, Mugen MBX6, MBX7, maybe an AARMA?

The other option is 4x4 SCT but then you'd need 3s and a motor system almost as expensive as 1/8 to keep up with the 1/8 brushless guys. New or used such a 4x4 SCT isn't much cheaper, if at all, than a comparable 1/8 buggy. And depending on the SCT they're not as durable as a 1/8 buggy. The Losi SCTE is one of the tougher ones as it's basically a lighter weight 1/8 buggy.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-17-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM
The Saylors

That's an interesting thought. I have to admit i have never bought used when it came to rc. The only used rc i have ever gotten was a vintage losi Lxt and my dad just gave it to me so i had nothing to lose. Aside from ebay, were do you go to look at used stuff?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Maj_Overdrive

There's classifieds here on RCU but they're kind of sparce and higher priced. I like RCTech's classified section, lots of racers unloading the last version of a vehicle because they upgraded to the latest or changed classes. Apparantly there's a lot on Facebook but I hate Facebook and haven't looked for anything there. RCTech would be my recommendation as they also have a rating system for buyers and sellers that Facebook groups probably don't have.

With used figure on replacing or at least cleaning and relubing some bearings, refilling shocks and diffs (need a seal kit for each diff) as well as shimming the diffs for proper mesh. That would be about the minimum for most quality 1/8 vehicles that have been maintained halfway decently. The cost for the items to do this would likely be $50-75 depending on how many bearings need to be replaced so figure it into your budget. The stuff that's been beat on harder and not maintained as well may need the shocks rebuilt with new seals, diff gears and all the bearings.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
The Saylors

Ya i have yet to have a facebook just out of principle (people from high school are just as dumb as ever and no i dont want to post on your imaginary wall). I will check out rc tech though! Thanks for the info on that. Its hard to find safe places for things like that.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:18 PM
The Saylors

I'm sure its taboo to ask about another forum on here but on rc tech is there a way to filter through what is sold and what isn't. every ad i have looked at ends up being sold
Old 05-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by The Saylors
I'm sure its taboo to ask about another forum on here but on rc tech is there a way to filter through what is sold and what isn't. every ad i have looked at ends up being sold
The for sale section over there is just a normal forum, not a specialized selling platform like eBay. You can only search and scroll through. Yeah the good stuff with fair prices moves pretty quick, keep checking back.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:14 PM
The Saylors

understood will do