Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rear diff for Yeti Score?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Sunsanvil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear diff for Yeti Score?

Looking at the Yeti Score I'm wondering if a rear differential could be implemented. The housing is in fact the same, just with the "locker" instead of the 4-gear arrangement...but will the axle shafts mate with them and will there be a proper seal to keep the diff fluid in?

Cheers

(I asked Axial and was told "after talking to another technician it sounds like you could implement a rear differential. Most parts that fit a standard 1/10 scale yeti should fit the yeti score as well." ... which doesn't really answer the question as, unless I'm mistaken, the rear of the standard Yeti is the same "locked" one the Score comes with.)
Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can confirm that the yeti rock racer does come with a locker in the rear. I was thinking that a working diff should work if desired. I built the kit version so i got a good look at it, it seemed identical aside from the locker itself.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The problem with getting a geared diff to work in the rear... keeping the diff sealed as you get it installed into the pumpkin. You can't get the axles to engage the o-rings inside of the diff until you have the diff installed. Using a thick diff fluid like cold molasses (figuratively speaking of course) will lessen the mess. Another issue is the bevel gears not being secured by an e-clip on either side of the rear axles.

It would be nice to be able to "plop" in a complete diff with outdrives like Axial uses on the Yeti XL for the 1/10 Yeti. That would mean a new designed axle housing would be needed along with new axles. I just don't see Axial changing the rock racer set-up. Just enjoy the locked rear end for what it is on the rock racer platform.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-24-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
DieHarder

^^^ Yeah, you didn't buy an onroad car. The Yeti is an offroad, tire slippin monster. They are supposed to have enough torque and power to slide around corners.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The whole rear geared differential thing for the Yeti has been done before with mixed results. I'm not gonna go diggin' in the threads for the points of interest. I've got the HPI bevel gears that everyone was using for the diff. I thought about doing the switch during many late nights, but gave up on the idea after watching the Yeti corner at speed. I almost always see the inner tire lift. It's like quad racers maneuvering their ATVs around a course. Having a rear diff that allows the tires to move at different speeds is useless on the Yeti IMO. On the Score Trophy Truck; with short course tires...now that's a different story.

Ok. here ya go...Unlock rear diff
open diff rear end

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-24-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Sunsanvil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RustyUs
(...) On the Score Trophy Truck; with short course tires...now that's a different story.
...which is exactly what I was asking about.

Thanks for the link!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM
The Saylors

Looks like its a bit of a gamble from what i was reading. A lot of guess and check and unfounded theory lol. No one seems to have completely succeeded.