Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery meter with Traxxas ID plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:20 PM
jack880

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery meter with Traxxas ID plug

Hi

I want to put an LED battery meter like the one below in my Traxxas Rustler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/36143...ype=pla&crdt=0

From what I've read, to do this I need to split out the balance lead from the Traxxas ID integrated plug so I can plug the balance lead into the meter. I use the cable below to do this for charging:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/242319/

But the cables are thinner than the battery's cables so I don't want to use the same lead in the car. Does anyone know of an equivalent lead, but heavier gauge wire?

Many thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're running Lipo, doesn't your ESC have a Low Voltage Cut-off? Why go to all the trouble and wire wizardry to install an outboard buzzer?

Is it the meter display function you're going for? If so, that adapter is probably your only bet. If you're good, you might be able to replace the main wires with fatter ones.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 06-03-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:11 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're good at soldering...

1. Cut the ID connector off.

2. Splice the two ID wires from the main battery wires.

3. Remove a 1/4" of insulation from each of the main battery wires (not the ID wires) near the casing.

4. Using a regular balance connector w/ leads, solder the positive and negative wires to the two main battery wires at the points of removed insulation. (remember to slide on shrink tube before soldering)

5. Cut the ID wires down to size, strip, and solder the red one to the blue balance wire and the black one to the yellow balance wire. (again, remember to slide on shrink tube before soldering)

6. Solder on a regular Traxxas connector (remember to slide on shrink tube before soldering), your truck should still accept it.

7. Never buy an ID connector ever again.

Last edited by DieHarder; 06-06-2016 at 08:14 AM.