Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas rustler race truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Du4designs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Traxxas rustler race truck?

How hard would it be to make my rustler semi race worthy for a backyard track? Has anyone ever done it?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

Has it been done before? Yes.
How far do you want to go with upgrading?
For a backyard track type of racing, I wouldn't think you would need to do too much. Getting a great servo; great tires, and a great driver are all that are needed . Depends on how serious you want to make backyard racing. A little bit of shock tuning for the track conditions, and you're on your way.

Extreme modifying of the Rustler...http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/proje...imate-rustler/

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-23-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM
Du4designs

Ahhh okay hahaha. It is a fairly loose track and my rustler is mainly my basher. I have a losi xxxt graphite buttttt that's up for sale as it is hard to find parts. I got some dirt hawg 2.2s today and there pretty good for bashing but haven't tried them on a track yet.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I never had the pleasure of running them Dirt Hawgs on my stadium trucks. I am more of a Gladiator person for my dirt throwing ST(s) when I want medium compound tires to do so.

If you got a group of RCers together just hanging out, at someones ungroomed track, and doing some "racing", generally it's not going to matter what you bring to the track. As long as you have a platform with some decent shocks, and suspension mounting/adjusting options, get out there and have fun. There are things to be said about having the latest and greatest top shelf stadium trucks. Having big-bore shocks, aluminum hub carriers, super high speed servo, adjustability out the kazoo, and all the other bells and whistles associated with high-end stadium trucks....that will only do so much for an advantage in backyard track racing. You can have the greatest high powered motor in your RC...getting that power to make forward momentum on your vehicle...that's the name of the game. IMO 90% of a great setup is tire choice.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-24-2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: wording
Old 06-24-2016, 06:04 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dirt Hawgs are ok, but don't do well on a dusty hard packed surface. Gladiators are better, and do well in softer dirt and packed surfaces. For ultimate traction the small pin tires like the now discontinued Calibers are best. Hole Shots are the next closest to those.

Also, you might try something I'm going to do on my next set: taping the tires and/or foams to keep them from ballooning. Look it up on YouTube.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:53 AM
The Saylors

I have heard some pretty good things about the whole shots. As for competing at a back yard track, it will likely be more of who can make it a full lap set without having to go fetch their car, at least for a few days especially when trying to dial in the track after building it. Eventually you will get better and want something more out of your car. There kinda comes a point when you get to were your driving better than your truck can, That's when it makes sense to upgrade imo. No sense in having a great driving truck if you cant keep up with it. Learn it as you upgrade it so that you don't lose touch with the vehicle, at least that is how i did it for the most part, and i have been pretty happy. I would do 1.Tires 2.shocks 3.structural 4.servo 5.motor/esc or gearing depending on the setup you currently have of course.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Du4designs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
The Dirt Hawgs are ok, but don't do well on a dusty hard packed surface. Gladiators are better, and do well in softer dirt and packed surfaces. For ultimate traction the small pin tires like the now discontinued Calibers are best. Hole Shots are the next closest to those.

Also, you might try something I'm going to do on my next set: taping the tires and/or foams to keep them from ballooning. Look it up on YouTube.
ahhh yeah I already did that lol. Makes it way more controllable.