Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Almost bulletproof!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:07 AM
RichardD64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost bulletproof!

After upgrading just about everything on my Emaxx 3908. I think it can be considered bulletproof. But, the only part I haven't been able to find a raplacement for is the transmission. I can find an aluminum case for it. But, can't find steel gears to put in it. I only see steel gears for the 3906 on Ebay.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no upgrades for the 3903/5/8 trans because its the one part of the truck that doesn't need to be upgraded. The stock metal gears are pretty much bulletproof and an aluminum case would only add weight.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 AM
RichardD64

Thanks. Yep, sofar haven't had any problems with the trans. Guess I'll keep it stock.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM
The Saylors

Most of the guys that get the aluminum cases are trying to get rid of some heat without re-gearing like they should or they just like it cuz its pretty (which it is lol). unless you can get your hands on some titanium gears (which i'm pretty sure don't exist, and if they do would cost an arm and a leg) then steel is the best bet.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Most of the guys that get the aluminum cases are trying to get rid of some heat without re-gearing like they should or they just like it cuz its pretty (which it is lol). unless you can get your hands on some titanium gears (which i'm pretty sure don't exist, and if they do would cost an arm and a leg) then steel is the best bet.
People go with an aluminum trans case to try and reduce motor heat? That makes no sense for multiple reasons, number 1 being the motor doesn't contact the trans case. The motor is mounted to the already aluminum motor plate and the 3mm thick motor plate is not going to transfer that much heat to the trans case. Assuming you could transfer heat to the trans case it isn't going to dissipate that much heat anyway. It is just a hollowed out chunk of aluminum, it's not a heatsink or radiator. A larger finned aluminum motor mount would do a better job dissipating heat than trying to transfer it to the trans case. An aluminum trans case is heavier though making the load on the motor higher, generating more heat and hurting handling since the weight is up high on the chassis. They'd be better served getting a heatsink and fan combo which would cool the motor more effectively for less $.

I'm not sure what the trans gears are made of in the 3903/5/8 Maxx that's why I just referred to them as metal. They are likely a sintered steel similar to the diff gears though. As I said the stock gears are basically bulletproof, no reason to upgrade so nobody makes any gears (in any material) that I've seen. Besides when most people want to do something with the trans it's usually to replace it with a 1/8 style center diff to put the motor lower in the chassis. The 2spd gears are a different story, they're plastic as are the shifting parts. There are aluminum upgrades for the shifting parts but I'm pretty there aren't any upgrades for the plastic gears and they apparantly survive quite a bit of brushless abuse as long as you don't shift while on the throttle.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 07-05-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM
The Saylors

Maybe not for the emaxx but others have a one piece trans and motor plate like the 2wd slash. In those instances the heat can be reduced slightly but i don't find it to be worth it and yes it adds some weight. Keep calm, i'm not interested in an argument about something so silly.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Why are you telling me to keep calm? It may be a silly subject but what about that post, with the well reasoned "arguments" wasn't calm? Maybe it's not liberal stoner hippy Koombaya around a campfire calm but jeez, turn down your sensitivity meter.

Edit: Nevemind. No longer interested.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 07-07-2016 at 05:58 PM.