Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Collecting To Much Dust - Update needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Pjagur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collecting To Much Dust - Update needed

So I was walking through a Singapore strip mall in the fall of 1988 and I bought a Tamiya ?? 540 can motor 4 wheel drive carbon frame buggy and 27 Mhz radio. The shop did all the assembly in an hour so I could catch a plane home in the morning.

To anyone else it would be junk (and it still might be). When I needed parts the brick and mortar hobby shops said it was too high end to import so I had to fab some of my own.

But I keep looking at it going at it needs is a new radio, new receiver, new ESC, brush-less motor, and some LIPO suction :-) Somewhere on You Tube a video surfaced this week about installing a brush-less motor conversion kit and that bought me here. Oh and tires, 28 years there's going to be some rot.

Let's start with how do I determine the scale? There's no box and it's been 28 years.

Are they categorized by axle width? Can I use that to zero in on scale?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

A Tamiya 4WD buggy from 1988? That is a collector's item, I would not run it. Can you show some pics of it?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A picture, and some measurements would help. Chances are, it's a 1/10th scale or there abouts. Most Tamiyas are. I'd go look at their website to see what you could get in the wheel and tire department.

I kinda doubt that a 1988 RC could handle LIPO and brushless. Plastic gears an all. Maybe a really mild brushless. I don't know Tamiya products that well, especially old ones. You might want to stick with the current Tamiya motor/ESC setup. Otherwise, you could look at the Hobbywing EZrun 35 Amp brushless combo. It's a smaller motor, but plenty fast. I run one in my Evader. and even ran it in a 4wd 10th scale truggy for a while.

For a modern radio set, you can't beat the $20 Flysky GT2. No frills, but it works great. I use rechargeable batteries in it. Oh, Hobbypartz is out of stock. But just google it. You'll find it. Amazon has them, but they're $12 more. Still a good deal. Or you could spend a little more ($100 range) and get a Spektrum radio, their receivers can be had with AVC, Advanced Vehicle Control, an accelerometer/gyro setup that helps keep the car under control. Look it up.

If you do go LIPO, you'll need a LIPO charger. Lipos are a completely different animal from NiCd or NiMh. NEVER charge a Lipo on a non-lipo charger, or charge it using a NiMh or NiCd charge program. Fires WILL result. That said, if you use them properly, Lipos are perfectly safe and are the best power source there is for RC.

Good luck. C'mon back with any more questions.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like an Avante to me.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 AM
Pjagur

RustyUS... That sounds very familiar and the the images that come up on Google are a match too. Looks like there was an Avante re-release in 2011.

I had to rinse off the shell or it was just one big dust bunny.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160724_074531.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	2174201  

Last edited by Pjagur; 07-24-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:18 AM
finewayne

Originally Posted by Pjagur
RustyUS... That sounds very familiar and the the images that come up on Google are a match too. Looks like there was an Avante re-release in 2011.

I had to rinse off the shell or it was just one big dust bunny.

woa this is so rare, no idea tought how to clean it off, sorry

Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

As soon as you said carbon fiber and 1988...it could only be the one and only Avante. Very radical design, and very radical price...then and now (re-release). The fiber chassis I think is a fiberglass composite of some sorts. If it doesn't mean much to you, and is in great shape, you probably could get a pretty penny for it. If you want to run it, go with a mild motor to enjoy the RC as long as possible.

Great "barn find"!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM
collector1231

Wow. Wowowowowow.

That is one NICE Avante. I would either sell that or preserve it very well. Would not want to risk running something as old as that, due to never finding parts and wear/tear.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree I'd be too scared to run that with how good of shape its in.

If it was all beat up I'd say go for it.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:17 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a shelf queen, for sure.