Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Old bloke returns...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:02 AM
lukehall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old bloke returns...

Hi every one!

I've been away from RC cars for about 20 years, but as my little boy is now old enough to be showing an interest, I thought it would be a good excuse to get back into it myself :-)

Lots has changed since I've been away and most of my previous knowledge related to IC power. I love the old school models from Kyosho and Tamiya and I think I'll buy us a re-release Kyosho Optima to get started. Mainly because it looks like a really good kit and secondly, because I'm a bit sentimental about the one i had back in the day!

So... Here's where I could use a bit of advice!

Should I go brushed or brushless?
Is there a decent online resource which can help me understand the various ratings and specs of brushed and brushless motors? The various numbers leave me a bit baffled!
What kind of speed controller should I get, depending on the above?
I've used LiPos in helicopters in the last few years, so I have a decent charger, but how many cells should I opt for?

I should point out that we'll only be doing back yard bashing, so a good balance between performance and cost seems like a sensible way to go.

I'm also tempted by the Kyosho Tomahawk re-release and... The Tamiya Fighting Buggy. However, I'm a bit concerned about spares availability for the Tamiya. I'm in the UK so I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on that.

Best wishes to all!

Luke
Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome back to the hobby.

If starting over, I'd tell you to go brushless. No doubt about it, and use only 2S packs on the Optima.

Lots of info on motors and what all the numbers mean. Just one example...http://www.area52.cc/how-tos/403-pick-the-right-brushless-motor.html

I wouldn't go any more than a 13.5T brushless motor (approximately 3,000 ~3,300kv) for testing out the initial feel of the Optima. Heck, I probably wouldn't even do more than a 17.5T ...that's just me. I'd just enjoy the built, and take the buggy out for some casual off-road, backyard track running/bashing. Every manufacturer has motor specs that differ from other manufacturers motors. The debate of how much power the Optima can handle is always a good read. How fast you want to go, and how much wear and tear you want is up to you. I see some places recommended brushed motors 27T ~ 30T . That's just to slow for most people. I would like to think the Optima re-release can handle more than a brushed 27T motor (read review below). I know I put the original through it's paces; running approx. 15T brushed motor and at least 7 cell NiCd packs, but that was on an oval track with the body hacked for longer batteries. The original Optima's manual even suggested using a 19T 550 sized brushed motor back in the day.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/kyosho-vin...-buggy-review/

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-21-2016 at 03:28 AM. Reason: added links
Old 08-22-2016, 02:26 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go brushless. What's not to like? No maintenance, almost infinite life, incredible power and efficiency compared to brushed motors... unless you're into trail-n-scale and going in water, brushless is the way to go.

A kit you and your son can build together is a great idea, you get the "good dad" award for the week. And sure, a Tamiya re-re of one of your old faves? Cool. The Tamiya kits usually come with the old Mabuchi brushed motor tho, don't they? I think the ESC is brushless-ready, but the motor is the 540 Mabuchi. Might as well run it, until you get the itch for more juice. At which point I'd put in a little Hobbywing system that's been one of my faves, for only $75. The motor is a little smaller, but has WAY more power than you might think, and certainly more than the Mabuchi. But not enough that it should stress the old design.

But for the Love of GOD, do me a favor if you get the Tamiya: cut off the damn battery connector and install something decent!! The old white Molex connector known as the "Tamiya plug" should be banned from the RC hobby. I don't know why they, and others, continue to use such a piece of crap, when in some cases we're dealing with very high power sources in the hands of novices. You try to run just about any Lipo battery thru a Tamiya plug, and I guarantee you're going to melt it.

You'll need a radio system too. If you wanna do REAL cheap, but perfectly serviceable, the Flysky GT2 for $20 is a great set, I still use mine. 2.4ghz, no more x-tals, ya know. If you want a little better, I'd get a Spektrum DX2E for $60, and a Spektrum receiver with AVC (Active Vehicle Control).

Get a subscription to RC Car Action. It's only $24 a year. Great way for you and your son to learn about the modern RC era. Send off for a Tower Hobbies catalog to drool over. Hours of enjoyment. (but beware...that way lies madness......) (and many, many dollars spent)