Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas latrax sst upgrades???

Old 08-27-2016, 12:32 PM
rohan3ni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas latrax sst upgrades???

I just got one and want to know is there any upgrades I can do for it? I would like to put bigger tires.
Any help please thank you
Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rohan. Not to sound like I'm trying to brush you off, but you might find the basic answer to your question at Traxxas.com as far as what upgrades they offer for the SST.
That and Google.

What are you looking to do besides bigger tires? Probably " make it faster" ?

You should know that changing the tire size also affects the load on the motor, because you are effectively changing the gear ratio. Going to a bigger tire would cause the motor to run hot. You'd have to change the pinion gear to one with fewer teeth to keep the motor happy and cool. You just had your first lesson in gearing. Now, go buy an infrared thermometer to monitor your motor temps. Most useful tool for determining proper gearing.

What kind of motor system have you got in the car? The stock brushed motor? You could slap a Hobbywing ezrun B2 brushless combo in it for $75 and it would fly. Still might want to gear it down a tooth, depending on the temperatures you measure during a good run.

I've run that motor system in cars up to a 4.5lb 4wd truggy. Providing the La Trax tranny can handle it, which it likely can, you'd have all the speed you want. Might better look for a good after market bumper for it tho. A good, I say good bumper will save you tons in breakage.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

To get you started: https://www.asiatees.com/model?Traxx...aTrax+SST&c=z2

I know nothing about the RC in OP, but aluminum arms? Not a good idea. And while we are at it, I would not even think about aluminum body posts. You need to have flex in those areas when "bashing", even if the RC is driven on the street only.

What don't you like about the LaTrax SST? Is there a particular part that breaks more than often?

Just another thought: Bigger tires will probably mean interference with the body. The suspension will take more of a beating as well. Having bigger tires on will raise the ground clearance, but the SST chassis probably won't be allowed to touch the ground during full compression of the shocks. Depending how hard you like to drive/jump the SST, more stress will be placed on anything connected to the arms.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-29-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM
rohan3ni

Hello guys
Yes I know bigger tires would mean change other parts. I wanted bigger tires to go through tall grass. Think it would look nice to. I figure I would get better answers here than on traxxas website. Can't find bigger tires for it. I also was. Look if any of the other traxxas rally and Teton parts can be used on the latrax.
I will look into the new motor and learn more about the gears.
I now starting to get into this . Thank you for your help.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 AM
EXT2Rob

That's why we're here, man. Btw, grass (like lawn, thick and green) IS NOT a good place to run RCs that small. You'll over heat the motor. Stick to pavement or dirt.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 AM
The Saylors

+1 on no grass. that's one of the fastest ways to destroy your electronics especially the motor. Mt's are the only vehicle i would ever recommend doing larger tires on and even then it's risky. Glad to see you are into the hobby. Its a ton of fun but research is very key. Do your homework before you pull the trigger on anything!!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM
rohan3ni

Okay thank you. Didn't know it would be that bad . Thank you for the advice
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rohan3ni
Hello guys
Yes I know bigger tires would mean change other parts. I wanted bigger tires to go through tall grass. Think it would look nice to. I figure I would get better answers here than on traxxas website. Can't find bigger tires for it. I also was. Look if any of the other traxxas rally and Teton parts can be used on the latrax.
I will look into the new motor and learn more about the gears.
I now starting to get into this . Thank you for your help.
1/18 scale RCs, especially off-road models, have to struggle with size of terrain issues. Any obstacle is magnified with the smaller scale RC, as you know. The light weight platforms in 1/18 scale RCing seem to get bounced around a lot. There is only so much you can do with the available suspension travel. Enjoy the small size of the SST as best you can while you save up for a larger scale RC. I think a 1/10 scale RC, or larger, is your best bet in allowing you to have more terrain running options available.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 PM
rohan3ni

I notice it does jump around a lot. I figure going smaller would be my start off before I go in further. I like how the sst look . I will look into the suspensions
Old 09-03-2016, 07:23 AM
EXT2Rob

It's good that the hobby has small-ish, inexpensive models for people to "get their feet wet" in the hobby, but the unfortunate side is, they can't take that much abuse or rough terrain.

It's also kind of odd that size varies even among vehicles of supposedly the same scale. In particular, a 1/10 scale stadium truck is at least 1/3 smaller than a 1/10 scale short course truck, in both size AND weight. Even that difference affects how the cars react to terrain.

Another thing to keep in mind: Whatever you buy, if you're mainly going to be fun-running or "bashing", you will save yourself from a good deal of damage if you install a good after market bumper set from RPM or T-Bone Racing. The "bumpers" that come on most RTRs are cosmetic at best and don't really protect the car from crash damage.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
rohan3ni

Thank you I am making a list of stuff I will need. Looking into a lipo battery now