Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler or RC10T4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM
familyman02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rustler or RC10T4.2

Back into the hobby after, jeeze like a decade, I had a HPI E-Firestorm with a Castle Sidewinder and loved it, had a lot of Traxxas beaters that I liked but never got to competitive with, nor my Duratrax cars either.

I want to shop Tower and they don't have the stock base Firestorm (or at least one under 300 now), and they did away with all their Duratrax vehicles, just parts are left.

Now price range, is well, where the Associated 1/10 RC10T4.2 BL RTR is right now, 250 but even though it's brushless, it has no included battery, which is a big deal, that throws the budget out the window (if I'm talked into it, I'd buy a cheapie tenergy for now). Also, I've always want an Associated and never had one, after reading I'm not sure if it would fit my purpose. Bashing and the LHS off road course. I hear the Associated RTRs have brittle plastic, and I don't want to be constantly fixing my truck just to say I own an Associated. I've heard about radio/electronics issues as well.

Traxxas Rustler XL-5, I just bought my wife one, the performance blows the old XL-5 out of the water even though it's the same Titan brushed motor, but it comes with a wicked (wicked as in included for the price) battery, a 7 cell 3000 mah, and given the low mah rating, the run time was fantastic. Hella cheaper, maybe more durable, not racing them, comes with decent battery, still upgradable and adjustable for my bashing needs.

Did I just answer my own question? By the way, all connectors are going to be deans and I have a basic but smart Tenergy charger that does the trick quite well on the NiMH batteries and I don't plan to LiPO anytime soon either.

Comments and suggestions welcome, cheaper the better, 1/10 truck basher/track runner. And no, (someone has to say it) I don't think I'm comparing apples to oranges, I have heard an usually high amount of bad things about the Associated.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. The Rustler is a best seller, for good reason. The Traxxas plastic is a bit softer than that of a race bred stadium truck...more flexing. The RC10T4.2 is a very well balanced in the handling, and durability department. T4.2 having a brushless setup; aluminum shocks, and socket head cap screws...bonus! Sorry, I have a plastic shock phobia .