Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HoBao now at Tower Hobbies!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile HoBao now at Tower Hobbies!

Oh man, am I happy, relieved, excited.... The maker of my favorite RC car, HoBao (one of the makers of OFNA products), is now available at Tower Hobbies! They are also available via their website http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/ , but also having them available thru Tower signals that HoBao is here to stay.

Right at the top of the list of HoBao models available from tower are the two I have: the Hyper 10 SCT and the Hyper TT. Both available as RTR or my preferred version, the 80% ARR. That way you can add the electronics of your choice. I got the Hyper TT truggy a couple years ago from Nitrohouse.com as the 80% roller for $189. (It's up to $219 now) Still, for a model as well built as the Hyper TT, it's a fair deal. Most of the car is aluminum, so it's got good bones, but like most RCs that aren't going to be doing track duty, it benefits from getting an after market bumper set for it. Once installed, it's a satisfying and reliable basher.

I've run two different motor systems in the Hyper TT, and both performed very well. The first was what I believe comes as stock in the RTR: a HobbyWing EZrun 3650 45 Amp. Small-ish motor, but surprisingly powerful, and since the car only weighs 4.5lbs, does a decent job of motivating the car. I eventually switched to a Castle 4-Pole 5600kv and a different ESC. The full-size 540 4-pole made a noticeable difference in authority. A 4600kv would probably make a better match (and not require a fan) but I like it.

Then I had a chance to pick up the TT's cousin, the 10SC short course truck. The two platforms share 80% of their parts, so it makes having two different types of vehicles easy to maintain. Smaller parts stock. I like that. And the SCT is WAYY fun! Completely different animal than the TT, but just as much fun. Behaves just like the big boys. Having fenders to rub (as opposed to open-wheel) makes for door-bangin' fun racing!

And these cars can be had for a good deal less than some of the bigger names. If you're looking for a fun affordable but durable (and not too big) 4wd basher, put the HoBao Hyper TT on your short list of prospectives. Or, if you want something a little bigger, the 4wd Hyper 10SC short course truck is a blast an a half. AND, yes, there ARE upgrade parts available, from HoBao and others like Integy, T-Bone Racing, and ST Racing Concepts.

** I do not work for HoBao, nor Tower, I just think HoBao makes a good product, and wanted to share.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:44 PM
collector1231

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Hobao is back from the dead! I wonder if they'll have OFNA parts on there.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
HoBao Racing Taiwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Hobao is back from the dead! I wonder if they'll have OFNA parts on there.
Come on, HoBao is never dead... OFNA is It took us a while to establish HoBao Racing in USA but Yes, all Hyper parts are still available both from Tower, Local hobbystores, or from HoBao USA directly at http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/

Last edited by HoBao Racing Taiwan; 10-17-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I know last year's fiasco gift giving season was a total let down for me thanks to Ofna and Tower. This year, one RC has made it back on top of my list:

HoBao Racing 1/10 Hyper 10 SC EP 80% ARR

Associated has left me high-n-dry in the 4wd SC offerings department. I kinda lost interest in the platform since getting a Yeti, but my thoughts of getting a 4wd short course truck again have been renewed by a used SC10 being my daily basher. Not quite sure yet on the HoBao truck, as I have to go and re-read threads on the Hyper 10SC platform. From what I remember, the truck had many great things going for it. Dated platform, I know. That's my biggest issue to overcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hoad1000.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	2186265  
Old 10-17-2016, 08:45 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by HoBao Racing Taiwan
Come on, HoBao is never dead... OFNA is It took us a while to establish HoBao Racing in USA but Yes, all Hyper parts are still available both from Tower, Local hobbystores, or from HoBao USA directly at http://eshop.hobao-racing.com/
Dear HoBao: Thank you for making the effort to make a name for yourself in the USA! Not many people, except those "in the know" knew HoBao was one of two makers of what we knew here as the OFNA brand. So when OFNA went bye bye last year, we here in the US got pretty nervous. Yes, we could buy parts from Taiwan, but that took waayy too long, and it felt like we were being abandoned. My buddy and I bought hundreds of dollars of parts to keep us going, just in case.

So it is with great relief that I say THANKS for not letting us HoBao fans here in the US hanging! You're here now in a big way. HoBao makes great products, based on the two vehicles I have. I wish you all the success in the USA. Check 'em out people!!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 AM
EXT2Rob

Rusty! Glad you're interested in the 10SC. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions. I love mine. I have some suggestions if you do get one. First of course is, get a front/rear bumper set from T-Bone Racing. The instructions seem to say that you're supposed to remove just about the whole rear bumper assembly to install the T-Bone. But that's not the case. Leave it all there, it adds strength. That's really about the only things the car needs.

There ARE aluminum parts to be had, if you find you need them, depending on your running place. Since we're running fast around trees, even with our safety barriers, we'd occasionally break a steering knuckle. HoBao offers aluminum parts, but at the time I didn't know that, and I got them from Integy. Well worth it. I also installed aluminum front and rear chassis braces, and an aluminum servo-saver/bellcrank. Eventually, the aluminum center diff mount too. Partly cuz we were afraid parts were going to get scarce and aluminum would last longer, but now, that's not an issue.....

The motor system I'm running is a Novak Ballisic, 550-size, sensored, and a generic 120 Amp ESC. VERY satisfying power and speed. Stock gearing, no need for a motor fan. Runs like a champ.

The only thing I thought was kinda funky was the center diff spur gear, the blue one. The plastic used I think was a little too soft, and if you cranked down the screws on it, it would warp and leak diff fluid all over. ST Racing Concepts (STRC) makes a black delrin spur gear for it that is stiffer and doesn't leak (well, barely any).

What's really cool, for me, is that both of my cars, the 10SC and the 10TT, utilize a lot of the same parts that sometimes need replacing: suspension arms, diffs, axles, hubs, steering, bearings....all the exact same parts!

Go for it, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by rustyus
Tower Hobbies back in the game with carrying HoBao. The sign that I was looking for...
I posted this picture last month on another forum; in an OFNA out of business! thread ...may as well post the picture here as well!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM
EXT2Rob

Dat's da one, man! That's my little Hyper TT in the lower left. (minus the rear wing, for some reason....) I LOVE my Hyper TT! The thing is built like an 8th scale.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Rusty! Glad you're interested in the 10SC. .... ST Racing Concepts (STRC) makes a black delrin spur gear for it that is stiffer and doesn't leak (well, barely any)...
Thanks EXT2Rob. That's the part I was looking for.

I am not jumping onboard yet. I got enough to keep me occupied, and will try to ease my way into filling my 4x4 SC void. Once the void is filled, that's it, no more new RC platform purchases for me! Wife says, "Yeah. Right."

Like I said before (somewhere) I've always dreamed of having an OFNA/HaBao RC platform. Over the years when growing up, radio control car mag's ads and their reviews always kept me wanting one. HoBao and Tower Hobbies is keeping that dream alive.