Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Leopard Hobby Brushless Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Post Leopard Hobby Brushless Motors

I currently am using motors that I have to trim back the throttle EPA to make RCs more manageable on a very loose off-road track. My 2wd buggy is about the only RC I have that I can use all of the motor...which is a 17.5T no-name motor.

I recently picked up a Leopard Hobby 3650 2-Pole 14.5T brushless motor from an eBay best offer listing. I have been searching for the right Kv to run in my 2wd SC/ST trucks. I'm hoping this motor will get me closer to the power I want.

Leopard Hobby has many different "in between" turns (Kv ratings) of motors. The 14.5T is said to be a 2550Kv, which is perfect since the other motors I run now are rated around the 10.5T ~ 13.5T mark.

I didn't find any specific thread for Leopard Hobby, so I posted this up. I know people are out there using these, and other motors that are re-branded but are made by Leopard. I believe I read that somewhere years ago. In either case, I will hopefully come back and have a good report on this motor. I just wish it was blue, black, or dark grey. Meh.

Anyone using this brand of motor?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161026_172826.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2187670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161026_172858.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2187671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161026_172756.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	869.3 KB
ID:	2187673  
Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey RustyUs ,
I have not used the sensored type you have there .
The one I just put in a friends buggy was a non sensored 3650 4 Pole 4550KV .
I had abused this little motor , got it a bit hot a couple of times , over revved it , crashed and dinged the case , the usual stuff , and it keeps going strong .
It came well packed in a cardboard tube , and had good quality 4mm connectors .
Not the cheapest , but not the most expensive motor either .
Old 10-29-2016, 03:04 AM
RustyUs

First impressions were, so so. Lacking the speed I wanted. That was mainly due to the fact I only adjust tooth count by two teeth from what I was running. So I brought the truck back to garage, and replaced the 17T pinion with a 21T. Putting the ST back on the track had resulted in better speeds for me to play with. Not quite there yet; I also ran out of pinions to try. I'm certainly not used to running lower kv motors and will have to get new spur gear and pinions in order to get good maximum speed from the Leopard motor.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leopard and Tacon are the same motors. I don't know who makes them and if there any other clones. I had a leopard 1/8 motor, a few years back. The power was comparable to other name brand motors of the same size and kv, the Leopard consistently ran hotter though. Not much but just enough to warrant dropping a tooth on the pinion.

Last edited by Mechanicaloverlord; 10-29-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM
RustyUs

Thanks for the input. To date, I never hooked up a sensored cable. I really need to test this 14.5T motor; doing it sensored style. The motor currently does not have what I call a cogging, or stutter issue, but more of a slow power delivery for the first 6 inches from a dead stop. It actually acts like a slipper clutch.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:49 PM
DieHarder

I run a big 3674 with a water jacket in my cat on 6S and it's great. Loads of torque, thing does 61mph (making hull changes, changing C of G, and turning up motor timing to hit a goal of 70mph next spring.), and doesn't run very hot, actually quite cool. It's been lasting and I have noticed no performance decrease in the 40-50 twenty-minute runs over the last year and half. Really like their motors and I also have a friend that has a Tacon (Leopard) in his MT4-G3 (beast of truck btw, oldie but a serious goodie) and loves it. He says the same great things about his that I've found true about the one in my cat. Highly recommend the Leopard/Tacon brand.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 AM
mrbuggy1987

For the past 3 years Ive run almost exclusively tacon motors. I was turned on to them about 4 years ago through hobbypartz and haven't looked back. Only melted 2 down out of 27 I've owned. The only downside i have ever found to them are that on some of them that have bullets pre-installed you cant trim the wires cuz there part of the stator, but that is far from a deal breaker for me.