Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Off road recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Ozzy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road recommendation

I'm a plane guy so I don't know that much about off road vehicles . Looking for recommendations for an off road for my grandson. He's 19 so I think he can handle more than toy grade. Looking for a vehicle either 2 or 4wd, brushless, 1/10 or 1/8 scale. Good parts support, good speed out of the box with the capability of increasing the speed buy using larger batts, and or changing the gears. So steer us in the right direction, what's the recommendations we should be looking at?

TIA

Ozzy
Old 11-19-2016, 05:22 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Kit or RTR? I'm guessing RTR since you said "good speed out of the box".
At least $500 to play with, or what is your budget?
Old 11-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Ozzy37

RTR, $500.00 or less. Other considerations like I said must have good parts support and must be shaft drive.

Ozzy
Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What type of truck (assuming trucks catches grandson's eyes)? The shaft drive, being a must, points you in a Traxxas/ECX direction. If you want brushless, outta the box, I would go with a Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition, as ECX does not offer their 4wd short course with a brushless system.

Other 4wd, brushless, shaft driven RCs with great parts support...Traxxas Slash, Traxxas Stampede VXL, ECX Ruckus, or Associated ProSC 4x4.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-20-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Ozzy37

Thanks Rusty! More questions, does it have to be 4wd? Read up on the Rustler VXL, think it might cover the requirements we have but notice it uses Nimh battery stock, what if we wanted to go with LiPo? Would we have to add an ESC and BEC? Have told him to go to his LHS and speak with them also plus if he purchases from them they would offer him more support vs. getting it mail order. Lastly I want to thank you for taking the time to respond and answering my many questions.

V/R
Ozzy
Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Ozzy37

Rusty was wrong on model should be the Bandit VXL not the Rustler.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Ozzy37

Rusty,
After doing research on the models you suggested plus the Bandit VXL, I'm recommending the Pro SC 4x4 to my grandson. Meets all the requirements for what he wants. Thanks so much for the info.

Ozzy