Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery and Charger for AE RC8B3E & 4PX

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 PM
merkdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and Charger for AE RC8B3E & 4PX

Hey guys,
So I'm getting back into RC after a very long break and bought a AE RC8B3e. Last car I had was a Frog and RC10 and these Lipo batteries weren't around than so have no idea whats up. What kind of battery and charger should I be looking for? I also bought the Futaba 4PX and will need a battery for that and would prefer a charger that would charge car and radio. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

People are all over the place with what capacity will get them through a long main. I wouldn't get anything less than a 4250mah 4S pack. Will depend on driving style and motor/ESC choice. You can surely go overboard when choosing batteries. Find the C rating that fits your budget the best. Going all out, then...somewhere between 60C ~ 110C. Long list of chargers that will fill your needs. All depends on how in-depth you want to go, how fast you want to charge, and whether or not you want to use a separate power supply. Let's just say if getting 5000mah 4S LiPo packs and they are able to be charged at a 2C rate, then you would need a charger that outputs around 200w per channel. If only charging a 5000mah pack at a 1C rate, a charger with 100w per channel will do.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM
merkdog

I ordered a Tekin T8 1900kv with RX8 gen 2 esc. I believe most mains 5-10 mins around my area.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM
RustyUs

The radio battery...I'd get a 2 cell LiFe battery. You can get a larger capacity LiFe pack cheaper than a NiMh pack. If you look at Tower Hobbies or similar online hobby store, you will see recommendations for the transmitter. Take that info and search elsewhere for possible bargains.

Take a look at Team Orion for your charging needs...https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-car-battery-chargers
I don't know if you would like a dual charger, but my good friend likes his Team Orion Duo charger. He likes his Losi/Orion/Venom products. I can't talk him out of them, no matter what I say. But we both agree on your motor/ESC combo being a go-to setup for a lot of guys in our area. To each his own, as they say.

I'm sure you will get lots of input and choices handed to you.

I will give you a most direct answer what matters most though IMO...tires and practice...mostly tires .
Old 11-22-2016, 04:34 PM
merkdog

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

This battery is probably perfect for that buggy, 50C and 5000 MAh. For the radio, it requires a LiFE or rechargable AA battery, others are too weak. Charger is just of preference for sure, but here is what all I would choose.

4S Battery for Buggy; https://www.venompower.com/collectio...-with-uni-plug

Charger; https://www.venompower.com/collectio...tery-charger-1

LiFE Battery; https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-5188/p165091

@RustyUs, that is one specific MAh rating you say for the minimum! Care to explain how you got that number? I'm actually pretty curious.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 AM
RustyUs

Like I said, all depends on running conditions. Setup, input, battery quality, and gearing are all going to play a roll in how long a battery will last on a full charge. Some people will take extreme measures to ensure they get the lightest battery pack possible. I'm not an extremist. Yes, a 5000mah pack would be a safe/comfortable capacity number to throw out there when not knowing all the particulars. I certainly would not want to try and run a 3000mah pack to make time .
Old 11-24-2016, 02:42 PM
RustyUs

I just have to throw out a rebranding price difference to merkdog. Reedy, having a charger made with their logo pasted on it, can have a $62.50 price increase compared to OEM's $112.49 price tag. I would have no qualms showing up to a track with charger on right.

Edit: I'd just stick a bunch of Reedy/Associated decals on lesser known charger, and call it a day .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ascp2720.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2191188   Click image for larger version

Name:	71QZ473s4CL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	2191189  

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-24-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:28 PM
merkdog

Thanks for all the help guys.
i got a smokin deal on that Reedy charger and Revtech battery today. Stormer hobbies had good price along with coupon code. Buggy arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to start building it ��